Mon, Jul 8, 5:10 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 06 8:32 am)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Resume Option for Poser 11.2

shonsu ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 10:38 AM · edited Mon, 01 July 2024 at 1:00 AM

Has any thought been given in providing Poser 11.2 with a Render Pause option. For instance, Reality for Poser plugin allows you to pause the render and same applies in Daz Studio. I think that would be a great update to Poser 11.2.

Boni ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 2:24 PM

I'd love to see this in many programs I have!!

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Kerya ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2019 at 1:03 AM

Uhm ... Queue manager? You can use it on one computer too, you don't have to have a render farm. Queue Manager can do pause and resume. Caveat: as far as I read QM and Superfly don't always play nice together.

an0malaus ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 5:28 AM

@Kerya, isn't QM's pause only going to stop commencement of the next render in the queue? AFAIK, QM still invokes FFRender on the host, if it's running locally to the Poser session, and FFRender doesn't have any pause facility that I'm aware of. Poser itself doesn't have the option to pause and resume a render because it's using FFRender. On some platforms, there may be a way to lower the priority of a running process so it doesn't interfere with what the user is actively doing, but that would require that the render happens in a separate process.

Others will have more to say on this due to their direct experience.

I had previously asked for a way to suspend and resume Poser automatically as some other applications are capable of doing, but it has yet to rise sufficiently up the priority list to be either acted on or rejected. @shonsu's request is also one I would like to see, but unless the render is in a separate process from Poser itself, I can't immediately see how the application could resolve any changes the user might make to the scene while a render is paused, without either needing to abandon the render and start again, or completely ingnore any changes made by the user once the render had started.

Neither circumstance seems to be particularly useful as an improvement to Poser. If changes won't be incorporated in the remains of the render, just cancel and start again. If the user needs to continue working on a scene or other frames of an animation, either send the render to the queue as Kerya suggests, or render in a separate process.

I remember seeing useful commentary from @bagginsbill on adjusting the Windows process priority of render processes. I would certainly like to see the ability to pause and resume a render, given the caveat that the scene can't change, or needs to be in a separate render process. My original request came because I was being frequently prompted by macOS to install software updates which required restarts. Poser normally runs for days or weeks on my system without restart (except when I crash it or lock it up with a rogue Python script), so I would certainly like the option to have the last autosaved scene reopened when Poser starts, so I can continue working exactly where I left off.

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

an0malaus ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 5:33 AM

I meant to add that a number of laptops have the ability to suspend operations of running programmes when they're closed by the user, then resume when opened again. I have not been in a situation to test whether this works with an active Poser render, so I can't say for sure what would happen. It's possible that that could work, but may need to be done at an operating system level, as well as have the process be well behaved if requested to suspend and resume by the OS.

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

Kerya ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 6:58 AM

I can only talk about PP2014 (so no Superfly) - but there it is possible to suspend and resume a render on the local computer with Queue Manager.

Handbook page 458: Suspend: Click Suspend to put a running or waiting job on hold. Resume: Click Resume to continue processing a suspended job.

I don't know what happens if you turn off your computer whilst a job is suspended, I never tried that.

Richard60 ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 10:14 AM

@Kerya You are correct in that the Queue Manager will suspend and resume jobs, however that is referring to a list of images to be rendered. So if you have 12 images to render and tell it to suspend after it starts #5 it will put 6-12 on hold until you tell it start again. However Render #5 is now in the hands of Firefly/SuperFly and that will continue until it is completed. At which point it stores the image and the Queue Manager will take note of the fact it is done and when it resumes start with #6. However there is currently no way to stop Firefly/SuperFly and have it pickup from where it stopped.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.