Sat, Sep 14, 11:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 10:05 pm)

Subject: What is Renderosity's position on running Poser on 2 computers

Cosmasad1 ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2019 at 1:25 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 12:11 PM

Hello friends,

I have Poser on my laptop computer at home and want to use it on my desktop at work. Can you tell me what Renderosity's official position is on this? Do I need to buy a 2nd license, or can I use the same license in both?

Thank you.

jennblake ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2019 at 1:30 PM

You may use the same license on your own personal machines. Up to 3. 😄 You cannot share your license with another person/business. That is all.

Cosmasad1 ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2019 at 1:32 PM

Thank you, jennblake. That's awesome.

jennblake ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2019 at 1:38 PM

😄 Happy to help.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2019 at 4:43 PM · edited Tue, 29 October 2019 at 4:48 PM

What if you own the personal AND business computers? I know that sounds a lot like the last question, but I don't condone or mean installing Poser on your computer AT work. I mean, you actually own the computer AND the business. Is that two licenses needed or just the one?

RPublishing ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2019 at 4:45 PM
Forum Moderator

If you own the business computer that is fine. If it is being used on a business computer and you do not own that computer, you really should have the "business" buy a work copy.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2019 at 7:32 AM

jennblake posted at 12:29PM Wed, 30 October 2019 - #4368618

You may use the same license on your own personal machines. Up to 3. 😄 You cannot share your license with another person/business. That is all.

That's odd. ISTR the previous owners of Poser (can't remember which ones) allowing others in the same household to use Poser. Do I now have to buy a license for my wife and one each for my children? Claire hasn't used Poser in ages but I think she'd like to start up again, the kids haven't - yet - showed any interest but I'm sure they will, eventually.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2019 at 8:13 AM

I'm pretty sure they mean you can't share the PROGRAM on ANOTHER computer WITH someone, Sam. Unless, they're spying on you through your webcam, they wouldn't know it's not you on your own personal computer anyway.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2019 at 8:43 AM

EClark1894 posted at 1:41PM Wed, 30 October 2019 - #4368689

I'm pretty sure they mean you can't share the PROGRAM on ANOTHER computer WITH someone, Sam. Unless, they're spying on you through your webcam, they wouldn't know it's not you on your own personal computer anyway.

Well, no but... Claire has her own account here and has in the past, posted a few images. I wouldn't want anyone to be questioning her use of Poser, since she's not registered as a buyer. We once got asked a few questions about a joint image we both posted to our own galleries and I don't want a similar situation to arise.

My Store

My Gallery

quietrob ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2019 at 2:34 PM

I asked this question a few months ago. I was told I could have Poser on more than one machine but it could only be used on one computer at a time. How they could enforce that I wouldn't know.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2019 at 7:12 PM

quietrob posted at 12:12AM Thu, 31 October 2019 - #4368713

I asked this question a few months ago. I was told I could have Poser on more than one machine but it could only be used on one computer at a time. How they could enforce that I wouldn't know.

Poser can - or could - detect other instances of itself running on the same network. So there's that.

My Store

My Gallery

quietrob ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2019 at 9:55 PM

SamTherapy posted at 7:54PM Wed, 30 October 2019 - #4368743

Poser can - or could - detect other instances of itself running on the same network. So there's that.

We don’t know if that’s true but if it is, that is some 1984 George Orwell type of stuff!

quietrob ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2019 at 9:55 PM

SamTherapy posted at 7:54PM Wed, 30 October 2019 - #4368743

We don’t know if that’s true but if it is, that is some 1984 George Orwell type of stuff!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2019 at 10:27 PM

It most definitely was true for Poser 6. I had it on two machines and if I didn't close it down on one of 'em, the other would give me a warning that it had discovered another instance of it running on the local network.

My Store

My Gallery

quietrob ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2019 at 10:42 PM

Then I'm betting it's the same. If they can make us phone home without telling us (I was told that I should've known. Prolly right) then certainly they can monitor if Poser is being used on more than one machine at a time. Geez, would it kill 'em to let us share Poser if it's in the family or the same household?

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2019 at 8:37 AM

quietrob posted at 1:34PM Thu, 31 October 2019 - #4368754

Then I'm betting it's the same. If they can make us phone home without telling us (I was told that I should've known. Prolly right) then certainly they can monitor if Poser is being used on more than one machine at a time. Geez, would it kill 'em to let us share Poser if it's in the family or the same household?

The last time I tried which was a year ago the second occurrence would not launch stating that the program was in use elsewhere. Then again the computers were connected to the same network I did not try disconnecting the network as I had launched the program in error but I remember thinking 'so that is how it limits the use'.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2019 at 8:33 PM

quietrob posted at 9:31PM Thu, 31 October 2019 - #4368754

That is something new I guess. I've had poser 11 and 10 running on the same machine before, and I've had Poser 10 running on my mac and this machine on the same network. My Mac won't run Poser 11.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2019 at 8:49 PM

I started not to post this because I don't want to give Renderosity any ideas, but in the news today: Apple lays groundwork for iphone subscription .

quietrob ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2019 at 9:29 PM

EClark1894 posted at 7:26PM Thu, 31 October 2019 - #4368828

That is something new I guess. I've had poser 11 and 10 running on the same machine before, and I've had Poser 10 running on my mac and this machine on the same network. My Mac won't run Poser 11.

I'm betting it's because Poser 10 must be less invasive than Poser 11. Poser 10 never had to phone home and get an extended license every few whatevers. Maybe it's a Mac type of thing as well.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2019 at 4:37 AM

quietrob posted at 5:35AM Fri, 01 November 2019 - #4368832

EClark1894 posted at 7:26PM Thu, 31 October 2019 - #4368828

I'm betting it's because Poser 10 must be less invasive than Poser 11. Poser 10 never had to phone home and get an extended license every few whatevers. Maybe it's a Mac type of thing as well.

You're bound and determined to find something conspiratorial going on aren't you, Rob? Ah well, have fun. 😄

raven ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2019 at 5:31 AM

The usage licence for Poser was often explained with the analogy of 'reading a book'. You could have it installed on 3 computers, but you could only use on 1 at a time, much like a book being shared between 3 people, only one person could physically read it at one time.

quietrob ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2019 at 6:05 AM

raven posted at 3:59AM Fri, 01 November 2019 - #4368849

The usage licence for Poser was often explained with the analogy of 'reading a book'. You could have it installed on 3 computers, but you could only use on 1 at a time, much like a book being shared between 3 people, only one person could physically read it at one time.

@Raven I've read too many stories with my kid to know that of course more than one person can read a book at the same time but I DO get your meaning, raven.

@Earl aka Eclark1894. Ya, you're probably right. I need to ease up. Bondware isn't going to change things and perhaps they are right to do exactly what they are doing. Is your network all windows 10? Was it still working after the latest windows 10 update?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2019 at 8:31 AM

quietrob posted at 9:28AM Fri, 01 November 2019 - #4368851

raven posted at 3:59AM Fri, 01 November 2019 - #4368849

@Raven I've read too many stories with my kid to know that of course more than one person can read a book at the same time but I DO get your meaning, raven.

@Earl aka Eclark1894. Ya, you're probably right. I need to ease up. Bondware isn't going to change things and perhaps they are right to do exactly what they are doing. Is your network all windows 10? Was it still working after the latest windows 10 update?

No, I'm actually a Mac person, but I was forced to migrate to Windows 7 back when Poser 11 came out. It wouldn't run on my Mac. My OS was too old, I guess and I couldn't upgrade any further. I'm still using Windows 7 for the time being, but Microsoft sent out a notice telling me I HAVE to upgrade to W10 because they're dropping support for 7 by the end of the year.

gate ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2019 at 9:02 AM · edited Fri, 01 November 2019 at 9:10 AM

Well a Physical Book , Papers, A draw board, a Cellpone these yo sure can use then give it away .. place on e-bay etc so a book sure can be handed over to another person even lend it out ... but now the more and more you will Pay but you will not own anything they will tell you ( you Pay just for use, you can't give it to anyone else ) you will not have any new possessions ... they will control you watch you Punish you if you do not behave .... It all leads into that direction and People go with it they even support it . I teach my Children ( Keep your hands of such things as much as yo can ) Keep your freedom , do not let them control you, Look that things you have Purchased are yours and do not enslave your self for these company's as they will rip you off to get more and more Power ( Modern Slavery ) they go as faar as you have to Kneel in front of them to let your children use what you have bought, really crazy! But see this will not have a great Future as wee have seen that Many great Nations fell on such Control systems ....!!

I am starting to wonder ... why am I supporting such a thing by making models for it .. then I will be not any better bulling others into that controlled system in which I would not want my children . I might still have the Option not having to upgrade , but how about the others ? these I motivate to use it , and I am not sure anymore if it is the right way.

"I will have to overthink my Options"

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2019 at 11:09 AM

gate posted at 4:08PM Fri, 01 November 2019 - #4368866

Well a Physical Book , Papers, A draw board, a Cellpone these yo sure can use then give it away .. place on e-bay etc so a book sure can be handed over to another person even lend it out ... but now the more and more you will Pay but you will not own anything they will tell you ( you Pay just for use, you can't give it to anyone else ) you will not have any new possessions ... they will control you watch you Punish you if you do not behave .... It all leads into that direction and People go with it they even support it . I teach my Children ( Keep your hands of such things as much as yo can ) Keep your freedom , do not let them control you, Look that things you have Purchased are yours and do not enslave your self for these company's as they will rip you off to get more and more Power ( Modern Slavery ) they go as faar as you have to Kneel in front of them to let your children use what you have bought, really crazy! But see this will not have a great Future as wee have seen that Many great Nations fell on such Control systems ....!!

I am starting to wonder ... why am I supporting such a thing by making models for it .. then I will be not any better bulling others into that controlled system in which I would not want my children . I might still have the Option not having to upgrade , but how about the others ? these I motivate to use it , and I am not sure anymore if it is the right way.

"I will have to overthink my Options"

It also depends where you live, many of the items such as software that cannot be resold in some parts of the world can be resold in Europe as the European Union as decried that you can.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

gate ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2019 at 1:54 PM

@ hornet3d well you are actually right .. it sure depends on were you are on our place we are very flexible , there are even official artists that make Batman comic books or suerhero comics without having to worry about getting in trouble, they even come on the news with there stories ... some even get hired from marvel or Dc for there stories :) in the other hand if they get one in the US doing so, they will not hire em they will go to court with them LOL

but still the wild west still has allot of influence in the whole world sometimes they even try to forbid things they do to others ... the worst of them are the control freaks that never can get enough !!!

raven ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2019 at 8:04 PM

I realise a book can be read by multiple people at the same time 😄

Anyway, here is the 'like a book' analogy I mentioned as found in the reference manual.

like-a-book.jpg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.