Thu, Oct 3, 10:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 03 7:02 am)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Why am I get rough ground shadows in Comic Book Preview

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2020 at 8:49 PM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 8:26 AM

In my light settings I've increased my various map resolutions to 4096, and have done the same in the render settings (preview). But I'm still getting very rough ground shadows.

I've tried increase the sub-division on the ground plane, but that hasn't helped at all.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!GroundShadowsRough.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 
Alienware m16 R2 Laptop | Windows 11 Home | 64GB RAM |  Intel Core Ultra 7 155H 1.40 GHz | Nvidia RTX 4070 Laptop GPU 8GB 4608 CUDA Cores
mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com   |   Poser Noir Comics Tutorial   |   Illustrations Honored by Renderosity

bwldrd ( ) posted Mon, 27 January 2020 at 3:59 AM

Try increasing the shadow blur radius in your light properties, see if that helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Mon, 27 January 2020 at 11:33 AM

bwldrd posted at 11:32AM Mon, 27 January 2020 - #4377904

Try increasing the shadow blur radius in your light properties, see if that helps.

Thank you to replying to my poorly titled post (how the hell did I miss that error in the heading -- I can't even blame it on booze because (for once) I wasn't drinking!). I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know if it works.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 
Alienware m16 R2 Laptop | Windows 11 Home | 64GB RAM |  Intel Core Ultra 7 155H 1.40 GHz | Nvidia RTX 4070 Laptop GPU 8GB 4608 CUDA Cores
mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com   |   Poser Noir Comics Tutorial   |   Illustrations Honored by Renderosity

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Tue, 28 January 2020 at 12:04 AM

bwldrd posted at 11:59PM Mon, 27 January 2020 - #4377904

Try increasing the shadow blur radius in your light properties, see if that helps. Thank you, but that had zero effect. I suspected as much because this is a Comic Book Preview, not a Firefly or Superfly render.

I did find a workaround, I'm happy to say. I'm going to keep looking at other settings and see if I can do this without completely changing the source material, but for now, this is an excellent fix.

The ground is a high-resolution ground plane without a texture (that is to say, it has the default Poser material applied).

ToonMaterial.jpg

1. In the Material Room, I select the Ground Plane.
  2. I then click on the button (far right) "Set up Toon Render."
  3. It asks if I want a specular highlight: I said "No."
  4. The render style of this one item is now set to Toon.
  5. I change the DarkColor property to Black.

Now, when I render I get a nice, crisp shadow on the ground.

GroundShadowsToon.jpg

As I said, there are other properties to explore, so I'm going to look at them, too. But for now, this is a solid approacch with which I can work.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 

bwldrd ( ) posted Tue, 28 January 2020 at 12:36 PM

Do you have antialias rendered images turned on in your render settings, for preview rendering?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bwldrd ( ) posted Tue, 28 January 2020 at 12:58 PM

Antialaising.jpg

Notice the difference in the highlighted area shadows without versus with antialaising turn off/on. Shouldn't need all the workaround or a ground plane. These renders where with the toon renderer in preview mode, no ground plane but still has shadows.

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Tue, 28 January 2020 at 1:03 PM

bwldrd posted at 1:02PM Tue, 28 January 2020 - #4378111

Do you have antialias rendered images turned on in your render settings, for preview rendering?

Hoo Hoo! Probably not! I will check this evening and let you know. Thank you very much for the tip!

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2020 at 1:06 AM

bwldrd posted at 1:05AM Wed, 29 January 2020 - #4378115

Antialaising.jpg

Notice the difference in the highlighted area shadows without versus with antialaising turn off/on. Shouldn't need all the workaround or a ground plane. These renders where with the toon renderer in preview mode, no ground plane but still has shadows.

Thank you, but it turns out that I did have the anti-alias box checked.

Are you working with Toon renders? I'm using Texture Shaded with the Comic Book Preview turned on. I suspect that has something to do with it. But if you have any other ideas, I'm game to try them!

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2020 at 7:17 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

If you look, you only have it checked on the right side. The left side, where the problem is, doesn't have it checked.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2020 at 9:46 AM

RedPhantom posted at 9:42AM Wed, 29 January 2020 - #4378213

If you look, you only have it checked on the right side. The left side, where the problem is, doesn't have it checked.

Thanks for input. Definitely appreciated.

But that's not my image: My image is the one with the guy and the gun. bwldrd has the image with the cute robot, and he was showing me a "Before and After" look at the effects of anti-aliasing.

Turns out that anti-aliasing doesn't seem to have any discernible effect on Comic Book Preview renders.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 

bwldrd ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2020 at 12:05 PM

I have done some renders using the comic book filter, both color and B&W. But have never really paid much attention to the ground shadows, as the B&W where relatively clean like the one posted, and the color ones are usually so dark toned you can't see shadows anyhow.

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2020 at 12:11 PM

bwldrd posted at 12:10PM Wed, 29 January 2020 - #4378240

I have done some renders using the comic book filter, both color and B&W. But have never really paid much attention to the ground shadows, as the B&W where relatively clean like the one posted, and the color ones are usually so dark toned you can't see shadows anyhow.

Thanks. I'm going to reach out to artist Brian Haberlin via Facebook and see if he can offer any insights. At least for the moment I can use the Toon Texture workaround.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 

bwldrd ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2020 at 12:24 PM

Only other thing I can think of is what are the sample settings for your antialiasing. It goes from 1 to 8. I have mine set at 8.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2020 at 4:35 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Sorry about not seeing who posted. Try increasing the preview shadow map size. It's on the propteries tab for your light.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.