Tue, Oct 22, 5:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Poser Tip:

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 25 May 2020 at 7:51 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:13 AM

As noted in this forum and others, occasionally, you can't seem to find an .obj file. I f this ever happens to you, try this Poser tip, look for the same file but labelled with obz. Obz files are the compressed file versions of obj. files. Now for a second tip: Poser comes with a file compressor and uncompressor. Simply look under the Scripts Menu until you find "Utility". Click on this and you will see two entries, one labeled "Compress Poser files", and the other labeled "uncompress Poser files". These Utilities will Compress or uncompress any Poser file with a . fcz, ppz, mz5, hrz, pzz, obj, crz, mcz, p2z, and cmz

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 25 May 2020 at 8:00 AM

But be very careful when deciding to uncompress your files. If you have a large drive or have a dedicated secondary drive then go ahead and decompress those files. Otherwise, if space is at a premium then don't. You will find how quickly your disk real estate will diminish if you have a lot of content.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 25 May 2020 at 8:39 AM

hborre posted at 9:35AM Mon, 25 May 2020 - #4390090

But be very careful when deciding to uncompress your files. If you have a large drive or have a dedicated secondary drive then go ahead and decompress those files. Otherwise, if space is at a premium then don't. You will find how quickly your disk real estate will diminish if you have a lot of content.

You don't HAVE to decompress any file unless your uncompressed file is missing. One other thing to remember though, the utility comes with a choice to delete any file you uncompress. Unless you have a copy of that file somewhere else, another machine, another drive or a thumb drive, my suggestion is DON'T!

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Mon, 25 May 2020 at 9:04 AM

Poser compression uses normal gzip compression, so you can compress/uncompress any Poser files with your archiving program of choice (I recommend the free "7zip"). Just make sure to pick the correct filename extension (.obj / .obz) etc.

"clickety-click -> Here's an overview about all valid extensions

K

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 25 May 2020 at 9:14 AM

That is a great point. Many users, in particular, newbies, don't realize that independent compression programs can do the work on single files if you know where to look. Personally, I use WinZip as my goto program but 7zip is an excellent substitute and it's free.

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Mon, 25 May 2020 at 9:38 AM · edited Mon, 25 May 2020 at 9:48 AM

Now you mention it:

Not sure whether WinZip can do this, but 7Zip can also _un_compress .RAR files (though it can't compress to that format because it's proprietary).

But it can handle many more popular formats like .tar and others.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Mon, 25 May 2020 at 1:04 PM · edited Mon, 25 May 2020 at 1:04 PM
Online Now!

KarinaKiev, WinZip does do RAR files among others. I have been using WinZip since before the beginning of the internet. (I know, I'm dating myself)

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

ironsoul ( ) posted Mon, 25 May 2020 at 1:57 PM

I once made the mistake of trying to buy winzip licenses as a legit business transactiion, needliess to say it caused a lot of confusion all up the chain.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.