Fri, Jul 12, 3:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 11 11:47 pm)

Subject: Tips for lighting?

Photopium ( ) posted Mon, 17 August 2020 at 1:26 PM · edited Fri, 12 July 2024 at 3:05 AM

I'm trying to make ONE render as a new user where a character's eyes are actually lit in a way you might expect in a Photograph.
I'm hoping for white eye-whites and to actually see the color of the iris lol. Whether I use a point light or a spot light DEAD-ON it's the same result, and of course blasting the intensity blows out everything else.

Are there any light sets that function like professional lights a photographer might use? That would be helpful.

I'm pretty new at Daz3d but am an old-timer who went away for a while on the scene in general Thanks!

SpookieLilOne ( ) posted Mon, 17 August 2020 at 2:35 PM

Ok, 1st tip I have is to make sure that your headlamps turned off on both your camera and your render settings. To do that go to the camera panel and under headlamp make sure that is turned switched to off. Next, go to your rendering settings tab and General>Auto Headlamp> and choose Never. Then once you have that done, you are going to want to make sure you have a good set of lights to start off with. Any by Fabiana are wonderful. https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/?uid=60058&ssearch=iray+light

Sveva also has some very nice sets. https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/?uid=210915&ssearch=light

If you want scenery lights you will want to invest in some HDRI lighting. https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/?newsearch=&search=HDRI

2.png1.jpg

*~*Jamie*~*

SpookieLilOne's Store 

SpookieLilOne's FreeStuff 

SpookieLilOne's Gallery 

"Life is just a dream on the way to death." ~The Crow: City of Angels

Heatherlly ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2020 at 2:45 AM

Sveva does have some great lighting sets. HDRis give you a lot of options, too – I personally like Paper Tiger's sets and use them often: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/vendor/PaperTiger?username=PaperTiger&category=3D+Lighting+%3A+Cameras

You might also want to look up the three point lighting system. There are some great (free) tutorials out there which use the standard lights built into Daz. These were a huge help to me when I was first getting started.

Best of luck, and please let us know if you need more help!

JVRenderer ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2020 at 2:12 PM

lightti1.jpg

Are you looking for this type of effects?

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

JVRenderer ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2020 at 2:15 PM

lightti2.jpg

I suggest start with a good quality HDRi map Another tip is to set the figure's cornea bulge - I usually set it at max -100%

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

JVRenderer ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2020 at 2:18 PM

lightti3.jpg

In this image. I've pointed out where the key light affect the eyes and where the HDRi (environmental light) affect the area of the eyes

JVRenderer ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2020 at 2:20 PM

lightti4.jpg

I've turned off the keylight, so only the environment light (HDRi) affect the eyes...This is a bit more 'realistic' If you look closely, you can actually see some details of the environment in the eye reflection.

JVRenderer ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2020 at 2:25 PM · edited Tue, 18 August 2020 at 2:27 PM

RiRiNew.jpg

This is an experiment I did. I used an array spheres (with different emission colors) and lined them up into a right and parent to the camera... "Ring Light"

goofygrape ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2020 at 1:52 PM

Guy's very good info,work's for me. Thank's goofygrape

JVRenderer ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2020 at 4:23 PM

I just realized my spelling was horrible... There's no edit button, so I'll repost the last statement,

I meant to say : "This is an experiment I did. I used an array of sphere primitives (with different emission colors) and lined them up into a ring and parent to the camera... "Ring Light""

shedofjoy ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2020 at 8:29 AM

i use a plane instead of lights, with the emissive set set high and to white then the cut out to 0.00001 this makes the plane invisible but still casts light but doesn't show in reflections....btw the emissive value is cranked higher than normal to compensate for the transparency in the cutout.

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

Liquid_Ice ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2020 at 8:58 PM

You don't have to use cutout, you can just untick show in render.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.