Wed, Oct 2, 4:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Rigged, Animated Gingerbread Man - Blender Scene Walkthrough

LuxXeon ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2020 at 8:16 PM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 7:18 AM

This is a product I made for Blender. I can't post a direct link to it here because it's on a different marketplace. However, I really wanted to share the scene with some of you here. I thought perhaps some of you would find it interesting to see how the scene is put together and rigged. I did a few things with this scene that I'd never done before in Blender. First, I decided to create the entire scene with Procedural materials first, then bake the materials into PBR texture maps. So there is a version of this that is entirely procedural, then another which contains 4k PBR texture maps. Also, I added some props and helpers to this rig, which could be enabled or disabled easily using Collections. Lastly, I wanted to make sure this looked almost exactly the same in Eevee as it does in Cycles. It's pretty close as you'll see in the video. Happy Holidays everyone!

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2020 at 9:43 PM

Absolutely Adorable!!! He's so cute.

Nicely done Lux, but then I would expect nothing less from you. Happy Holidays to you and yours as well. 🙂

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Fri, 04 December 2020 at 12:14 PM
Forum Moderator

Truly adorable indeed great work LuxXeon I did add it to the Blender Rendo page for today it should be live now

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

LuxXeon ( ) posted Fri, 04 December 2020 at 4:24 PM

@Miss B and @Lobo3433 Thank you both so much! I'm really happy with this little guy. I had wanted to do this since my last gingerbread man a couple years ago. That one was just a static prop with the traditional cookie-cutter shape. I tried to rig that one, but the shape really wasn't suited for animation, so I went with this "Shrek" style shape instead.

Blender's rigging system is so wonderful to work with, I really could have gone wild with this rig and added a ton of different drivers for the face and all sorts of intricate controllers, but I really wanted to have him released before the end of the first week of Dec because I have a few other characters I'm working on now too. Rigging these toon style characters is really a whole bunch of fun once you get the hang of it, and you tend to want to push things further each time.

Thank you again. Boy, I wish the notification system would get fixed because I didn't even know anyone commented here until I logged back into the site. Happy Holidays, everyone! I should be in touch again before Christmas.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

mmoir ( ) posted Fri, 04 December 2020 at 8:36 PM

Hey LuxXeon, very nice looking character and the walk cycle looks great. Nice work .

HMorton ( ) posted Fri, 04 December 2020 at 8:36 PM

At first I was like, ok that's pretty cool. Nice looking textures. Then I saw they were PROCEDURAL and I almost spit my coffee. That gingerbread and metal pan mat look incredible, but are you suggesting that the scene lighting is also procedural too? How?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2020 at 7:17 AM
Site Admin

finally had time to watch this. looks awesome.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

LuxXeon ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2020 at 5:07 PM

@mmoir Thank you! That walk cycle has a few issues that I just didn't have time to fix. It was a simple Mixamo mocap motion that I quickly retargeted to the character's armature just to show the weights and rig function. I plan to make a proper animation clip with this character (hopefully) this week if I have time. Maybe just a 30 sec or 1 min clip to show more of the functionality.

@RedPhantom Thank you, my friend. Very much appreciated.

@HMorton Yes, there are two scene files. The first scene contains entirely procedural materials, including a procedurally designed background environment which contributes to both reflections and global ambiance. It isn't something I came up with, it's a technique I've seen done before by other creators and I adopted it to fit my workflow. It could be used on its own for global lighting, but in this case, I've also included 3 area lights to help with details. Everything in the first scene is fully customizable by the user since all the materials are procedural. In the second blend file, I simply baked all the procedural materials into 4k PBR texture maps for better compatibility with other software packages and pipelines. Everything is the same except that the textures in the second file are maps, not procedural. This way, people can choose which blend file they prefer to work with.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.