Fri, Jul 19, 9:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 15 11:51 am)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: new figures nova and neo - do they have clothes and morphs

FVerbaas ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2021 at 8:30 AM
Forum Coordinator

First tries to convert some V4 garments are not a real disaster.

First result from a well known V4 garment set converted to Nova. Path was of course morphing via the Prefitter (I quickly used the cloth room to make a Nova fitting suit and injected that into the preffiter-cr2 as a morph) and then ran the garments through the fitting room and conformed them. 

I made no manual intervention whatsoever. at all. The hat should be lower and there'spokes on the arms.

All together not bad for a first result. The shear in the arm fabric is what you get with raglan cut sleeves as is they are implied for V4 (T-pose) based garments. 

I was most concerned with the weight map copy in the arm pits. The jacket model is however tight there (one could never try it on in real life). Result was not bad but will need a stroke ot two with the smoothing weight brush.  

FVerbaas ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2021 at 10:02 AM · edited Thu, 09 December 2021 at 10:05 AM
Forum Coordinator

In the image above the arms are low so the actual situation under the armpits is well hidden. 

Come, lassie, lift your arms high!

some fairing with the morphbrush (yes, that tickles!) shows the issue at hand: Ventilation hole.

this is because the collars are quite narrow, and facets were assigned to Upper_Arm_Bend. This of course would be avoided when the grouping were doen manually or at least fiting room would allow inspection and fixing of goups before creating a figure. 
The fitting room simply was not made to deal with 'A' posed figures. Maybe it works better with a more 'garment friendly' donor than the main figure.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 1:35 AM · edited Sat, 11 December 2021 at 1:40 AM

undefined posted at 6:40 AM Sun, 28 November 2021 - #2967259

can i make them muscular for example?  is it easy to convert clothes from other figures to fit these new figures.  can you make them look older and younger?

Love esther

Given that both figures have zero built in muscle topology, I'd say no, you can't make them muscular.

At least not by simply turning a dial, like you could do with one of the older figures.

The mesh geometry of these "modern" figures simply is too basic to support this.

The last Poser compatible meshes with proper built in muscle topology were Michael 2 (and Stephanie 1) as well as the Poser 4 Dork and his successor Poser 5 Don.

Michael 3 was OK-ish, but not as good as Michael 2. Michael 4 was even worse.

To make a figure with a mesh design like Nova and Neo truly muscular, you need to crank up their subdivision to create high-resolution morphs.

Problem is, this uses a lot more computer power than working with a figure that already has the necessary edgelooping built into its mesh geometry right from the start.

I have no problems using dozends of "old" Michael 2, 3 or 4 meshes on my machine. Or several Dorks and Dons.

(ACER Nitro 5 Laptop with Core I7 and 32GB ram)

But when I subdivide even a fairly low res figure twice and use the morphbrush to create a high-res sculpt, things slow down to a crawl.

Of course with a truly high end computer and a dedicated modelling software like zBrush, an anatomical correct high res muscle sculpt should not be a problem.

Same of course with older and younger morphs.

In a cartoonish sort of way, perhaps. But any shape that needs actual mesh detail, needs lot of subdivision.

(Not to mention that even IF you or someone else has created such subdivided high-res morphs, USING them in Poser is also much more stressfull on your computer than using a figure with those morphs already built into the mesh)

We already had perfectly fine figures that worked great inside Poser and were very easy to use even by mere hobbyists.

(And were easy to create content for)

They mostly lacked modern rigging and some more realistic proportions, but other one that...

Yet for the last 15yrs perhaps, everyone tries to emulate the way, professional Studios design their figures, completely ignoring the fact that the way Poser is used is vastly different from how CGI Studios use their assets.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 1:47 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Just as I reminder to show what I'm talking about:

This is the LOW-RES version of Stephanie I (Based on the LOW-RES Michael 2 mesh!):

PbLjgJVdY2gdKNdyLGP7FWFO2ZbM6RDSWAG0AyOy.jpgsIM9pbYYwainIGX9gl8hdRyIfVHHfPfnxvOw1rL6.jpg

The STANDARD-RESOLTION version of her is even way more detailed.

I just wanted to demonstrate, what is even possible with just 20.000 polygons if the mesh topology of a figure is designed with muscularity morphs in mind right from the get-go.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 2:04 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Just for completeness sake this are the 34.700 polys of STANDARD-RESOLUTION Michael 2.

eZbXS4XXXEC0Ax07mXxbnpmXCiWLDzLAJrc54y2y.jpg

When it comes to muscular detail vs polygon count, he still reigns supreme in the Poserverse.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 6:19 PM · edited Sat, 11 December 2021 at 6:19 PM
JoePublic posted at 2:04 AM Sat, 11 December 2021 - #4431575

Just for completeness sake this are the 34.700 polys of STANDARD-RESOLUTION Michael 2.

When it comes to muscular detail vs polygon count, he still reigns supreme in the Poserverse.

Did you try, at the time, Apollo Maximus? here with a celebrity addon: Diesel

aONmXDVQdCk6U04k6zqlUQbwU0vZ3CHZAdsIBqlM.png

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

odf ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 7:56 PM
JoePublic posted at 1:35 AM Sat, 11 December 2021 - #4431572

Yet for the last 15yrs perhaps, everyone tries to emulate the way, professional Studios design their figures, completely ignoring the fact that the way Poser is used is vastly different from how CGI Studios use their assets.

As someone who's dabbled in figure creation within the last 15 years, I have to confess I'm coming around to that point of view. Base meshes used in the film and games industry can have very simple. even topology because that will not be the topology of the final figure. I'm no industry insider, but as far as I understand, the usual workflow is to make a sculpt from the base mesh, possibly using a very high poly count, and then retopologize to fit the new shape. We don't do either of that in Poser, which means that our base meshes need to be different.

I used to think that very muscular characters are a bit of a fringe application, so there's no need to support that with the mesh. But the underlying anatomy is pretty much the some for all humanoid characters, so getting the mesh to support the bone and muscle structure from the beginning now seems like a pretty decent strategy to me. If a made a new figure from scratch these days - don't worry, I'm not planning to - I would probably make the base shape ridiculously buff in order to understand how the mesh needs to flow, and then tone that down later.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 10:33 PM

https://www.renderosity.com/forums/threads/2967563/nova-project#msg4431662

JoePublic ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 7:56 AM

@odf: Many thanks for the support.

I don't want to derail this thread any more, so I answered you in the German forum.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 12:17 PM · edited Sun, 12 December 2021 at 12:18 PM
Forum Coordinator

Because Poser fails to do this, a small utility to  mirror Nova's poses. https://www.renderosity.com/filelocker/55862/download?key=3015

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2021 at 8:52 AM

Thanks everyone.  doesn't quite sound what i'm after but i'll probably try her all the same.

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.