Mon, Jul 8, 8:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 7:10 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Unwanted notifications

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2022 at 2:11 PM · edited Mon, 08 July 2024 at 2:17 AM

I'm getting notifications about threads I "subscribed" to, even though all I did was post in 'em.  I always uncheck the "Notify me when someone replies" option, too.

This has only recently started happening and nothing in my account settings has changed, so I'm hoping it's an error or oversight that can be fixed.

While I'm at it, any news on that "Wanna get our emails?" popup that seems to come round time and again?  I am signed up for emails, there have been several posts about the popup but so far... crickets.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 07 January 2022 at 2:03 PM

Heloo-oo!  Anybody there?

Maybe I should get a ouija board.

My Store

My Gallery

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Fri, 07 January 2022 at 10:12 PM
Sam, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2022 at 3:14 AM · edited Sat, 08 January 2022 at 3:14 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

Sam, the team is working hard to divine an answer for you. As soon as we get a connection to the other side, I'm sure Admin will send a sign. Please be patient.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2022 at 3:37 PM

Hehe.  Nicely done.  

Thing is, the team seem to move like lightning when it comes to locking/moving/deleting threads but when it comes to answering a question... crickets.  Nobody has, as yet, given any kind of an answer to the "Wanna get our emails" popup, and that's been going on for months.  Even a simple, "That's the way it is, so naff off" would be better than complete radio silence.

My Store

My Gallery

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2022 at 6:03 PM · edited Sat, 08 January 2022 at 6:52 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Sam, I understand your frustration. I've left a note for Admin to visit this thread.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2022 at 11:15 AM

Wellll...

Over a week later and still nothing.

Sure, it's a trivial matter but it'd be nice to think someone could at least stop by.  As for the Subscription notifications, I *think* it only happens to me if I start a thread, not if I reply to it.  Even so, since I don't want notifications - and why do I have to select that option every flippin' time? - I shouldn't get any, ever.

The "Wanna get our emails?" thing keeps appearing at random intervals.  First, I do get emails; I signed up for 'em ages ago.  Second, the wording, as I have said before, is silly and unprofessional.  If you're going to make us see this message every few days, at least use something approaching proper language and lose the "wanna".

My Store

My Gallery

EnglishBob ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2022 at 4:15 PM

And here's me not getting notifications for threads that I am subscribed to. You can send me some of yours if you like, Sam. :)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2022 at 8:25 AM

Well, I started a thread about Bella's nether regions if you want to take a look at that one.  :D

Don't hold your breath about notifications, though; BB's been waiting for it to work since forever.

My Store

My Gallery

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2022 at 1:44 PM

I posted a thorough analysis of the problem in June 2015, and it had been going on for some time prior to that. Every other forum on the Internet has got the hang of notifications...

I just visited another thread I'd posted in and I see I've been mysteriously unsubscribed from it, which may be what's going on in your case?

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2022 at 2:29 PM

And now I've been unsubscribed from this thread even though I ticked the 'notify me' box when I replied - I was subscribed when I arrived.

(I should explain that I'm deducing my subscription status according to the button at the top of the thread: if it says 'subscribe' I assume I'm not currently subscribed, and vice versa. My reasoning could be as faulty as the forum code, of course.)

RodS ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2022 at 1:46 PM

I've pretty much given up hope of the "Wanna Get Emails" thing ever getting fixed. Oh, well.....

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2022 at 5:09 AM

Me too, Rod.  Got another one this morning.  

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2022 at 5:32 AM

Regarding the notifications thing...

I'm getting notifications about another thread in the Poser forum - the one started by rokket - "It's been awhile" (sic).

I didn't subscribe to it, I always uncheck "Notify me" but I'm getting a lot of emails about it.  Oh well.

My Store

My Gallery

RodS ( ) posted Sat, 12 February 2022 at 12:28 PM

One last time.... Can we PLEASE get rid of that #%^&%^& "Wanna Get Emails?" thing? It is annoying as hell. Please. 😫

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2022 at 8:20 AM · edited Tue, 15 February 2022 at 8:22 AM

Sam, what seems to be happening for me is that when I answer a thread, I become unsubscribed from it even though I've checked the 'notify me' box. Maybe the logic of that box has become reversed? I'm going to try unchecking the box for this reply (I habitually leave it checked) and see what happens.

Edit:

Yes, that did the trick. If I check the box, it unsubscribes me; if I clear it (as you do) it subscribes me. Good grief.

There's your workaround, anyway; tell the forum to do the opposite of what you actually want.

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2022 at 11:09 AM
EnglishBob posted at 8:20 AM Tue, 15 February 2022 - #4434808
Edit:

Yes, that did the trick. If I check the box, it unsubscribes me; if I clear it (as you do) it subscribes me. Good grief.

There's your workaround, anyway; tell the forum to do the opposite of what you actually want.

That's weird, as I always uncheck it, and never get notices about folks responding, unless I've forgotten to uncheck it.  Hmmmm, very weird indeed, but it obviously isn't affecting everyone the same way.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2022 at 6:14 PM

Well, I guess as we've all noticed over the years, this place is weirder than a bag of very weird things.

My Store

My Gallery

lauraguo ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2022 at 6:52 PM
Site Admin

Hi, all. Yesterday we fixed some issues with forum notifications:

-  The "Notify me when someone replies" checkbox under the comment box was always checked despite what your preference was for that thread (makes it easy to accidentally subscribe). Sam, I think this could have contributed to your unwanted notifications? It should now be checked/unchecked based on your notification preference for that thread. 

-  Before, whenever the checkbox (mentioned above) was checked, it would toggle your subscription preference. So if you were already subscribed it would unsubscribe, and if you were already subscribed it would subscribe you--at least this is what I observed while trying to find the bugs. Bob, I think this might have been what you were seeing? That should be fixed now.

Please post here if the issues persist. I usually don't check the forums since my job is programming, but I'll keep an eye on this thread for more issues.

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2022 at 10:29 PM · edited Thu, 17 February 2022 at 10:30 PM
lauraguo posted at 6:52 PM Thu, 17 February 2022 - #4434906

Hi, all. Yesterday we fixed some issues with forum notifications:

-  The "Notify me when someone replies" checkbox under the comment box was always checked despite what your preference was for that thread (makes it easy to accidentally subscribe). Sam, I think this could have contributed to your unwanted notifications? It should now be checked/unchecked based on your notification preference for that thread.

AHA!  That may explain why I'm not having this issue, as I ALWAYS unchecked that box.  I don't use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe button at the top of each page of a thread.  Now I see it's unchecked by default, so thank you Laura, as that may be just the thing these folks needed.  🙂

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2022 at 8:49 AM

Laura: notifications do seem to be behaving properly now, going by what I've seen from a conversation I'm having in another thread. Thanks for taking a break from the coalface to report back!

lauraguo ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2022 at 10:44 AM
Site Admin

Awesome, glad to hear that it's all working out. Happy to help! :)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 26 February 2022 at 4:02 AM

Thank you.  I haven't had any unwanted notifications for a bit now.  

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.