Sun, Oct 6, 8:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 4:44 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Anybody have their Poser content on a shared drive aka NAS between 2 puters

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2022 at 7:03 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 8:54 AM

My poser 11 pro is on a Mac 64 GB memory, lots of s storage, RAD5, SSD's  nice machine older OS so it covers 32 bit and 64 bit apps

Poser 11 runs a lot of older python scripts I use daily

Want to by a high end Win computer so I can runs scripts that only run on windows or under P12, Render in superfly via the video card, etc

I want to share my content between the two computers. Over 15 years ago I did this where I had a NAS connected to a Mac and a Windows machine at work. CAD system. Back then the drives were slower, then what you can get today.

Anybody doing this or have any advise or things not to do suggestions Plus any comments on speed of reading poser content on a shared drive either by Ethernet or thunderbolt

TIA

Gary

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2022 at 1:22 AM · edited Tue, 25 January 2022 at 1:23 AM

I have Poser11 installed in its default directory (C:....)( and Poser12 installed on an SSD drive, using the path P:.....
Both are sharing the same runtimes collection (except Poser12's specific one), all on a third path.

Which means: yes: it should work, as long as there is a standard Windows path for the windows system, even if it's a networked one (automatically reconnected at startup)
I can't respond for Mac OS but I'm pretty much convinced that the same rule applies.

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

Richard60 ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2022 at 8:56 PM

At the college I work at we have a site license for 14 seats of poser 2014.  I installed one copy to the first computer and then had the content installed to a NAS Box.  This took the most time.  After that I just installed the Program to each computer and then copied over the Poser Preference Files to each clone.  Every computer used the same Runtime and for student use the NAS was a Read-Only Drive so they could not change the common data.  Posedr has no problem with doing this.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2022 at 9:59 PM
Richard60 posted at 8:56 PM Wed, 26 January 2022 - #4433842

At the college I work at we have a site license for 14 seats of poser 2014.  I installed one copy to the first computer and then had the content installed to a NAS Box.  This took the most time.  After that I just installed the Program to each computer and then copied over the Poser Preference Files to each clone.  Every computer used the same Runtime and for student use the NAS was a Read-Only Drive so they could not change the common data.  Posedr has no problem with doing this.

Did you connect via Ethernet, Thunderbolt 3 or some other method

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Richard60 ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2022 at 8:08 PM

It is all done via Ethernet.  The computers were located in 6 different rooms.  8 in a common edit pooly, 3 in 3 audio editing rooms (1 per room),  The instructors computer in the TV studio and the last 1 in the Audio control room for the TV studio 

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

NikKelly ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2022 at 10:59 AM

Provided the individual PCs are 'licensed' and have correct 'authorisations', keeping a raft of 'external libraries' on other drives, internal, external or NAS, should not be an issue...

I have the 'Poser' core on C: with sundry external libraries on E: , F: and G:. There's a usually-dormant NAS RAID archive, too...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.