Wed, Sep 18, 11:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 4:48 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Emulating a Hollywood Color Space in Poser 12 Renders for Greater Realism

Iuvenis_Scriptor ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2022 at 12:17 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 2:08 AM

This was a longstanding wish of mine, and as my Python coding skills have improved, I decided to try making it myself!  The Filmicizer scripts for Poser 12 shift colors in exported renders to simulate a more lifelike dynamic range than raw renders, even when exported in HDR or EXR format, can provide.  Specifically,  it emulates ACES, the standard color space in the film industry.  The standard for household devices and the render engines that are usually available on them is sRGB, an outdated model that often limits the realism of even the best rendersI first became aware of the problem when I happened upon this video, in which an experienced Blender user explained the issue in detail and recommended a plug-in developed by Troy Sobotka as the solution.  According to a note in the video description, later versions of Blender seem to have made it obsolete for Blender, but Poser retains the same limitation.

In short, the typical render engine's dynamic range is actually rather pitiful compared to that of the human eye or even a mediocre camera, which often hamstrings attempts at photo-realism. 

Someone on the now-defunct Smith Micro Poser forum raised the question of doing for Poser what Sobotka had done for Blender, and that's when the ever indispensable BagginsBill stepped in.  He designed a shader into which an already exported HDR render could be fed and re-rendered on a square plane prop placed against the camera to precisely fill its field of view.  The resulting image would have its colors shifted in the right way to emulate the effect of a Filmic Blender render.  In my experience, some fine detail was always inevitably lost.  It could be restored by applying a high pass filter to a JPG version of the original render and overlaying it over a tone-mapped 8-bit version of the re-render in Photoshop.  It was never the most convenient postwork process, but it worked, and the results were worth it!  At least, I thought so.

I'd long wondered if it could all be streamlined and perhaps even automated, to the point of rendering Photoshop completely irrelevant if I played my cards right.  So I took the color math BagginsBill did with shader nodes and implemented it in the form of a Python script!  In my tinkering, I stumbled upon a way to roughly imitate the effect on a JPG, but HDR remains the only recommended input format for true "filmicization."

Here are a couple of examples.

RAW RENDER:

GGx8TxzQNET3oHET9QHUxlKwdnohcx6MdTUsMrwX.jpg

FILMIC VERSION:

25Okf8Ajl5rQ9Jymm8RzdVR2RhDbO16quG5Y3HNF.jpg

RAW RENDER:

gbSQASGtax02GEr1FFGmO5tF3qOhNyPv75Fxf7yg.jpg

FILMIC VERSION:

zJPI5EDO7sW8dWv8xcWadKrvFzWsmNmcMn1Ezrtp.jpg

I'm not necessarily saying that my own raw renders are the best prior to filmicization, but if you like what you see here, just imagine what the same effect would look like on the work of a more skilled Poser artist!  If you're intrigued, please do check it out and let me know how it works for you!

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2022 at 1:34 PM

Wonderful.  I will definitely check this out.  I have been tinkering with ways to modify shaders and lighting for a more realistic response to its environment.  I wouldn't call it realism but a real physical response, if there is such a description.  Thanks.  Looking forward to playing with it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.