Wed, Oct 2, 7:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 2:29 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Seeking advice on adding weight-mapped jaw movements to a legacy figure

odf ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2022 at 2:30 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 1:32 AM

Small disclaimer: I'm actually a P12 user, but I've been told here is where all the cool and knowledgeable kids hang out, so...

Over the past year or so, I've been playing with an old figure, Antonia, that some may remember. She was made before weight-maps became a thing in Poser, and so she has a MouthOpen morph in the head actor to go with the jaw x-rotate, but no support for the other jaw movements.

I'd like to change that, and my provisional plan is to create a weight-map for the x-rotate, than copy that over to the other relevant jaw movements (I'm thinking y-rotate, z-translate and y-translate), make any tweaks necessary for the individual movements and finally add bulges and JCMs where necessary.

Once everything works, I'd also like to create an injection pose with all the changes that can be loaded into the regular CR2s.

General question: does that sound like a reasonable plan, and what are the dos and donts that I should be aware of?

More specific questions:

- Is copying weight maps between channels a good idea? Will it work? Anything I need to be aware of? Is there a way to do it directly in Poser, or do I need to edit files (no problem if it's the latter, just wondering).

- Do joint setup changes in injection poses work? If so, what do I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

odf ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2022 at 6:00 PM · edited Thu, 04 August 2022 at 6:02 PM

To partially answer my own questions, I've been pointed to this document about injecting weight maps: https://www.posersoftware.com/article/551/weight-map-injection. There's a vague hint that this might be easier in more recent Poser versions, but it looks easy enough to me as it is.

Also, I remembered that the joint editor can copy/paste between channels (and least in P12, I don't have P11 to check), so that just leaves the question of whether using that is a good idea. But I can always just try and find out. :-)

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2022 at 6:45 PM

I tried merging zones to weight maps on Antonia's jaw actors. Didn't work. Beyond my technical knowledge I'm afraid. I will say that you should strongly consider rotation limits in the jaw actor/JCM combo. There's absolutely none in Ant 1.2... that is of course unless you want me to have some hilarious wire frame animation fodder lol.

I'm kidding :)

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2022 at 6:47 PM · edited Thu, 04 August 2022 at 6:51 PM

I'm thinking that certain channels in Antonia's jaw actors have been deleted, similar to eye rigging method. But this is just a guess that I came up with in lieu of the merge zones failure.

I'd be keen on your thoughts or explanations... always interested in learning something new.

Yes the copy paste between channels exists in 11.

odf ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2022 at 6:51 PM · edited Thu, 04 August 2022 at 6:52 PM

I also had some trouble, at first. But then I changed the axis order in the joint editor, changed it back, and everything worked nicely. I don't want to show my current weight maps because they're still in their awkward phase, but I assure you they exist.

Yes, I think the channels were probably deleted. I can check in the CR2 if anyone needs to know. :-)

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2022 at 6:52 PM

Cool. Glad it isn't just me. Thanks for clarifying that.

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2022 at 7:00 PM · edited Thu, 04 August 2022 at 7:02 PM

These are typical channels that would be excised. This is from Teyon Alexander's advice. Lesbentley has similar, almost identical, though slightly different method. I know he was involved somewhat with Antonia. I misspoke earlier I meant the head actor.

Just for posterity and esoterica... 

9frBoj1jrGK28ZrvUM20cDlfRlbsliDq3nJe1pYV.jpg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.