Wed, Sep 18, 11:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Dark Halo on Edge of Conforming Genitalia

Iuvenis_Scriptor ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 1:43 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 11:41 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

I've brought Genesis 9 into Poser via Daz Studio's CR2 exporter.  It works remarkably well overall, but one stubborn issue seems to be attaching the conforming genitals.  I'm trying to use feathered trans maps to blend the attachable genitalia into the torso (specifically the textures/shaders).  I have one that feathers the edges of the genitals and another that essentially cuts a hole of transparency into the base figure's crotch to prevent its androgynous nub from poking through.  The problem that I keep running into is this dark halo along the edge of the genitalia.  It remains even when I turn off the transparency on the base figure's crotch, so it's not the edge of the hole showing through.  Wider/gentler feathering seems to just make the dark halo proportionally wider.  It does disappear when I bypass any diffuse shading (e.g. plug the texture map directly into Alt Diffuse while setting the main Diffuse channel to 0).  This suggests that it may be a shadow problem, but I don't know how to fix that without messing with any legitimate shadows elsewhere.

XmOu9l0DZnQH5Hlpj6pwQkedgUXRFel68W3H5jiw.jpg

I don't recall ever encountering this problem before.  This method of grafting conforming genitals onto a figure has always worked fine on other figures.  It may be worth noting that this is my first time applying female genitals as a separate conformer rather than a morph on the base figure.  All other instances of this technique have been for male genitalia, which diverge from the base shape much more quickly and drastically than female genitalia, which adhere much closer to the body across a greater proportion of the geometry.

lQ6SVrT5KeXTOmbJNvLMmqKgP6G1LPh5ia5xWcvF.jpg

The above shaders have been greatly simplified for the purposes of troubleshooting this problem, and the render is default quality for the same reason.  I would greatly appreciate any advice as I continue to tinker with this conundrum.  Thanks in advance!

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 2:03 PM

Maybe you need to get rid of the trans map and see what that gives you. Baring that, I do know that male genitals that conform to the figure benefit from pubic hair that seems to hide that outline you see in the female figure.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 2:15 PM

the issue is that you have collisions going on between the transmapped pube and the main figure. This happens all the time with transmapped hair around the forehead. You get little black outline circles where the skull cap collides with the head of the figure. I'd try using the morph brush to lift the pube attachment a bit.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

ghostship2 ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 2:18 PM

To completely get rid of this problem You need to paint the gens ONTO the torso and get rid of that transparent part altogether.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 3:24 PM

That almost appears to be a subdivision outline to me but Ghostship could be right.  I haven't entertained importing Genesis 9 into Poser, there are known issues with facial expressions getting broken in previous Genesis figures without Willdial's conversion.  If I am tempted, I'll give it a try.

Iuvenis_Scriptor ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2022 at 11:31 AM · edited Fri, 18 November 2022 at 11:32 AM

Thanks for the tips, guys!  Rokket, the texture/shader set I'm constructing has an option for female pubic hair, and the dark halo is evident even when the carpet matches the drapes, so to speak.  The dark halo does disappear when I get rid of the transparency altogether, but a clear seam along the top edge of the genital geometry takes its place.  Ghostship2, I've scaled up the genitalia a bit (up to 102%, if I recall correctly) to minimize or eliminate collisions in at least roughly the same way that a morph would, but the problem remains.  The dark halo might get a bit lighter, but if anything, it also gets a bit wider.

Hborre, I've tested the expressions in Poser, and at least the smiling and frowning morphs appear to work just fine even without any help from Willdial's utility.  Aside from this genital issue, I've only noticed two other issues with G9 in Poser

(1)   The conforming mouth geometry goes weirdly askew when conformed to a morphed base and attempting to follow the morph(s).  In most cases, though, you can probably get away with just not transferring the morph(s), since the mouth is not one of those parts that needs to adhere tightly to the exact shape of its host.

(2)   Nipple and navel morphs seem only available in HD form and don't appear to do much if anything.  I suspect this has something to do with relying on Daz's native subdivision method.  I've experimented with using displacement mapping as an alternative, but no success as of yet.

Other than that, just using Daz's built-in CR2 exporter seems to work surprisingly well, assuming you turn off subdivision, set the mesh to base resolution, and convert all weight maps to TriAx before exporting.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2022 at 10:15 PM

one thing I did just notice: You are not using edge transparency. Try plugging in your map to that and setting it at one IN ADDITION to the transparency.

Iuvenis_Scriptor ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2022 at 11:13 PM

You mean the Transparency_Edge channel, right?  Yeah, I tried that.  It didn't change a thing.  And in any case, the shader I actually intend to use on the final product is designed with a Cycles root node rather than a PoserSurface root node, and I don't have a clue how to imitate the effects of the edge transparency channel in a Cycles shader.

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Sun, 20 November 2022 at 11:15 AM

When I have that problem on V4/M4 eyebrows, I use the morph tool to "loosen" the spots where I'm getting black lines. And you can use the regular Edge Blend node on the Alpha property of the Principled BSDF node. Make the inner color white and outer color black then play with attenuation.

W11,Intel i9-14900KF @ 3.20GHz, 64.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, GeForce GTX 4070 Ti SUPER, 16GB. 

Old lady hobbyist.

All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

Iuvenis_Scriptor ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2023 at 11:58 PM

Thanks for the ideas, guys!  After an extended break from all things Poser, I decided to tackle this anew!  I'm still stumped, but I think I got a few more clues.  The dark halo goes away if (1) I render in FireFly instead of SuperFly, or (2) I disable the genital geometry from casting any shadows.

EVargas ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2023 at 4:55 AM

Hi, reading you say that "The dark halo goes away if (1) I render in FireFly instead of SuperFly":

So, considering your Firefly route works fine, have you tried using the PhysicalSurface root for the Superfly route instead of the PoserSurface? You don't need Cycles for this but the PhysicalSurface is always an option. Is this being done in Poser 11?

EVargas.Art

Iuvenis_Scriptor ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2023 at 1:45 PM · edited Fri, 27 January 2023 at 1:49 PM

Nice thought, but I just tried it, and it didn't work.  Besides, even if it did, the Color channel of the PhysicalSurface root node seems to have diffuse shading built into it, but the more advanced shader that I actually want to use (not the bare-bones one I've used here for troubleshooting purposes) has its own diffuse/SSS shading, so I'm not sure how I'd plug everything in without doubling up on the shading.  I even tried using a CyclesSurface root node again, which is what I was using when I first noticed the problem.  That still didn't work either.  This is all in Poser 12.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.