Wed, Oct 2, 8:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 4:44 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Anyone else with non-working Cloth Room...

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2023 at 4:03 AM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 5:31 PM

I am running Poser 12 with RTX 3060 with 32 GB RAM, Windows 10

NVIDIA Studio driver version 528.49 release date Feb 08 2023

Cloth Room hangs when I try to run a simulation.

Anyone else with this experience ?

Eternal Hobbyist

EVargas ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2023 at 6:42 AM

Here seems to be working fine, tested with the primitive "square high-res" falling over La Femme. Poser 12.0.1029, RTX 3060Ti, driver 528.49, Windows 10 build 19045.2673. Maybe you have too much geometry to simulate? Check poly count?

EVargas.Art

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2023 at 7:53 AM

if I remember correctly, the cloth room's computation is a Python process,  nothing to do with the gpu. But a cloth room that hangs, I've already stumbled upon. Not being someone with any form of competence in rigging/designing clothes, I had to throw the cloth and use another one.

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2023 at 8:19 AM

OK False alarm, the error is in my OBJ which was being draped.  Cloth Sim is work fine for other dynamic clothing.  Sorry. 

Eternal Hobbyist

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2023 at 11:28 AM

argh typo - Cloth Sim is working for other dynamic clothing.

Eternal Hobbyist

nerd ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2023 at 1:40 PM
Forum Moderator

Some tips for stuff that give cloth room indigestion. It really hates long narrow polygons. These are frequently used to create modeled in edges on cloth like a hem or piping.

It also hates sudden movements. T-pose to sitting in 1 frame. Act it out your self and see how long it takes you go from standing to sitting. Even if you just plop down it 1/2 to a full second. Give the cloth sim 30-60 frames to get in pose.

Non-manifold shapes. That's "T" shaped geometry. That's a patch pocket or modeled belt loops that connect to the underlying mesh. Leave the pocket un-welded from the base mesh and add it to the soft decorated group in the sim instead. Non-manifold geometry is a no-no in many modelers too.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2023 at 2:22 PM
nerd posted at 1:40 PM Mon, 13 March 2023 - #4458326

Thank you!

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

odf ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2023 at 5:25 PM
nerd posted at 1:40 PM Mon, 13 March 2023 - #4458326

Non-manifold shapes. That's "T" shaped geometry. That's a patch pocket or modeled belt loops that connect to the underlying mesh. Leave the pocket un-welded from the base mesh and add it to the soft decorated group in the sim instead. Non-manifold geometry is a no-no in many modelers too.

Interesting! I've made a number of clothes with non-manifold geometry that work quite well in the cloth room.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2023 at 11:42 PM

Thanks for the tips, @Nerd. 

I have that experience as well @odf, depending on the mesh, so I cannot really tell whether it's my mesh or the software/hardware.

Eternal Hobbyist

odf ( ) posted Tue, 14 March 2023 at 12:31 AM · edited Tue, 14 March 2023 at 12:32 AM

Something I've found can make the cloth simulation choke are very small polygons. MD tends to produce those along seams with its automatic retopo function, so I've needed to either clean them up in another modeler after exporting from MD or retopologize by hand.

infinity10 ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2023 at 1:36 AM
odf posted at 12:31 AM Tue, 14 March 2023 - #4458379

Something I've found can make the cloth simulation choke are very small polygons. MD tends to produce those along seams with its automatic retopo function, so I've needed to either clean them up in another modeler after exporting from MD or retopologize by hand.

Good tip ! thanks.

Eternal Hobbyist

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sun, 19 March 2023 at 12:38 PM · edited Sun, 19 March 2023 at 12:38 PM
Forum Coordinator

Very small polys typically occur only in quad meshes. In the tri meshes MD uses natively the size of the polygons is much more uniform. Quads are recommended for long narrow panels that are primarily bent along an axis perpendicular to the long side, say straps and ties. I have been using MD since MD2 was released and I cannot remember a case where I saw a reason to convert a main garment panel to quads. 

The long narrow facets may occur in piping. Best define these in MD as a separate material so in the cloth room you can easily assign the vertices to a soft decoration group.

I found 'non-manifold' meshes may simulate well in the cloth room, but mileage varies. The cloth room is not very good in handling layers that are colliding, and unless the cross section of the 'junction' has a clear 'T' shape you easily end up with colliding layers. If there are (quads!) very small polygons near the seam, the boundary conditions may soon become conflicting and results become unpredictable.

odf ( ) posted Sun, 19 March 2023 at 5:12 PM

I feel like I'm being shamed for my use of quads in cloth simulation... :-) To justify myself: I'm currently working on a pair of conforming thigh-high stockings, and those did not work well in the cloth room with MDs normal triangle mesh. So, I had MD produce a regular quad mesh and then cleaned up the seams in Blender. But otherwise, I completely agree with FVerbaas. Most meshes out of MD work very nicely in Poser's cloth room with the default triangulation.

T-shaped junctions, piping, hems and multiple cloth layers would probably deserve a thread of its own. I find all of those can help a lot to make a piece of clothing look more "realistic", but they're often tricky to get to work nicely in Poser.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2023 at 12:26 PM · edited Thu, 23 March 2023 at 12:27 PM
Forum Coordinator

Sorry that was not my intention. 

I did not mention stockings but indeed they are also bent over 2 well defined perpendicular directions. Knees can bend only in one direction. Properly aligned quads may therefore be the way to go. The pattern of socks is close to rectangular so it can be meshed easily with quads. 

odf ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2023 at 5:34 PM
FVerbaas posted at 12:26 PM Thu, 23 March 2023 - #4459332

Sorry that was not my intention. 

I know, don't worry. Just kidding, hence the smiley.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.