Sun, Oct 6, 4:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 2:34 pm)

Subject: A quick question about the Poser license...

blackbonner ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2023 at 1:43 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 11:29 PM

Hi fellow Poser User's. I have a quick question about managing the license key of Poser. I recently run into trouble because the numbers of open seat's for my Poser license was reached. I contacted the help desk on Poser Software Website and they helped me out with this. As far as I know, I can install Poser on three different machines but only run one at a time. I guess, my question is, if I uninstall Poser on my current machine, does it get automatically noticed by the licence server and opens a seat for another installation? I could had open a ticket at Poser Software to ask them about it, but then I thought I should do it in this forum. Thank in advance.

tim ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2023 at 2:10 PM
Site Admin

"Seats in Use" is defined as number of unique machine-ids from which Poser has validated the license in the last 7 days.  So machines don't get deauthorized, they age out of the window for consideration.

blackbonner ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2023 at 3:11 PM

tim posted at 2:10 PM Fri, 19 May 2023 - #4465797

"Seats in Use" is defined as number of unique machine-ids from which Poser has validated the license in the last 7 days.  So machines don't get deauthorized, they age out of the window for consideration.

Hm, that's interesting. If I understand you correctly, an authorized machine will be forgotten after a period of time? I was under the impression that everytime Poser is getting started, it sends a handshake request to the license server to validate the installation on the current machine. If this is not the case, I only have to wait for the machine id to get expired before I can install and use Poser on other hardware or on a fresh installed Windows? That would explain why I was having this issue. I have reinstalled my OS on the same hardware several times in the last two months and each install had caused a new machine id, right?

tim ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2023 at 9:24 PM
Site Admin

No - a machine id is persistent & tied to the underlying hardware.  Each license has a grace period (an amount of time that may pass between successful license checks) before access to the software is limited.  This allows the software to work temporarily offline during time offline, travel, etc.

blackbonner ( ) posted Sun, 21 May 2023 at 3:44 AM

@Tim, thank you for the clarification.

Part of those spec's is probably the OS that is running on said hardware, right?

I ask this because I run in this trouble after testing Poser 13 with it's license activated under an Linux OS.

Since the tests turned out negative, I went back to Windows 10. 

My guess is that Poser was still marked as activated under Linux regardless of the fact that I deinstalled Linux and installed Windows 10 on the same hardware. 

Would you agree on this?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.