Sun, Oct 6, 6:57 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 3:44 am)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Advice for setting up dual-rotation dependency morphs

RAMWorks ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2023 at 11:33 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 2:21 AM

Need some advice for setting up dual-rotation dependency morphs.  I have a fix for a character morph for LH for when the arms are up all the way. 

If you look at allot of the morphs out there the pecs always remain jutting out, which is not natural. 

SO with the arms up (I created the morph with BOTH arms up (Both Collar and Shoulder) rotated up and then split the morph so I could set up independent morphs. 

I'm not sure how to go about using the Dependency Editor to include both the Collar and Shoulder?  Is this possible and if so how do I go about this correctly?  I know how to set up a single affected morph for ONE rotation but not TWO rotations.  That's the issue.  

See below the images for the morphed and unmorphed affect.

EM0En1PpDUzkeRP6Ko2qeuAvu58XFnhFmN84Xl6U.pngZr7qF2scajBzXHn71k9QYhyvq8ZeD5KdPaPPnFH1.png

Thanks so much! 

Richard 

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

nerd ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2023 at 2:45 PM · edited Mon, 14 August 2023 at 2:48 PM
Forum Moderator

OK ..., before you start this have the Tylenol handy and have the straight jacket ready in case your mind just snaps.

There's a shopping list of pit-falls and traps in here. I can't cover them all off the top of my head.

First thing you need is to know a little tiny number. It's going to be the scalar for each of the rotations. We'll use Y and Z rotations in the example since that's probably what you're using here.

The scale for each individual rotation is 1 divided by the target rotation for the JCM. For example if the arms are rotated 75deg up the scale of the Z rot is 0.013333.

Figure out the rotation scale for Y and Z and write it down. Pay careful attention to positive and negative numbers. Polarity matters.

Before you start bake the morphs to be pre-Rotation.

1. Rotate all involved body parts to the target rotation on both axis

2. On a body part (Shoulder) select the context of the morph and choose the option to "Convert to pre-Transform morph". Don't do this on the BODY of the figure. It must be on the individual morphs on each body part.

If the option is grayed out that means it's already a pre-transform and you don't need to convert it.

OK it's finally time to make the dependencies. Don't use the "Start Teaching" thing. It can't create an interlocked dependency.

1. Select the master parameter for the JCM morph (Probably in the BODY, We'll assume it's called "JCMrArmFwdUp" in this example.

2. From the JCM's master dial click the context menu and choose edit dependencies.

3. On the Dependency Editor go to the Value Operator tab.

4. [Create New Value Op] > Delta Add

5. Choose the master actor (rShldr)

6. Choose the master parameter (y rotate)

7. In the scale factor type in the number you figured out for the Y rotation above (0.01333, it's always going to be a tiny number)

8. Did you get the +/- right. (I always mess this up at least once.)

Now we add the Multiply controller for the second rotation ...

9. [Create New Value Op] > Multiply

10. Choose the Actor and Parameter for the multiply operator

11. Type in the scale factor for the Z rotation

Close the DE and test the JCM performance.

Further brain droppings ...

Make sure you have limits set and enforced on the JCM 0 to 1. This prevents the JCM from running backwards.

You have to create the dependencies in the right order. The order of operations is critical. The multiply MUST be at the bottom.

If you don't value your sanity and really need it, a JCM can use all 3 axis of the joint to control it. Just add another multiply for the 3rd axis.

What's going on in Poser's brain for this is the rotation of the first (Y) is added to the JCM morph then the value of the JCM is multiplied by the second (Z). That's why the order is so important Add 1 then multiply by 0 it results in 0. But if you Multiply by 0 and then add 1 you get 1. And that's not correct. For JCM the multiply will always be last.

If you need a JCM can have multiple body parts as controllers. Add each additional body part and parameter as a multiply. An example would be a JCM thats active only when the shoulder and collar are both dialed. (This is not recommended for real production. It's just too complicated)

RAMWorks ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2023 at 9:11 PM

Thanks so much Charles.  I'll take notes and get the Aleve out!  I don't do Tylenol!  LOL 

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

RAMWorks ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2023 at 9:29 PM

OK.  My brain exploded.  Good lord.  Don't know if I can get my brain to cooperate on this one!  :-( 

Any vids on this procedure?  

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.