Sat, Sep 28, 12:05 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / New Poser Users Help

Welcome to the New Poser Users Help Forum

Forum Moderators: Anim8dtoon, RedPhantom, Staff

New Poser Users Help F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 9:00 am)

New to Poser? Ask questions here for expert help!

Subject: where characters, geometries?

drawn ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 9:53 AM · edited Fri, 27 September 2024 at 4:21 AM

I searched for elleque's deck shoes where his product info readme pointed, he/she,it wrote that he placed deck shoes under characters and maybe geometries.

I cannot find either of those categories now in poser 13.

where?

drawn

Hi,

I made the shoes on my Mac.  You could not find the shoes in your library?  Have you looked at your "Props" library?  I used to put all the clothing items in "Props" library.  But, I put those shoes in "Characters" library.  Because Renderosity told me that CR2 files should be in "Characters" library.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 11:16 AM · edited Tue, 21 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

How did you unzip the content file and where did you install it?  Elleque has the folder hierarchy correctly set up in the Zip file, so installing the files into the Poser Library should be straightforward.  The image below shows where everything is located.  We need more information on your workflow.

ZxaKvGxceryBQ6IJGNYgwZcIGwB67gb7ReF4dyaK.png

drawn ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

I downoad the file. then in poser I tell it to unzip the file, and lead it to download folder, in download I unzip ir and then expect the process will do what it should because I have no or little expertise in placing files myself, then I close and reopen poser, which I was advised too do and search for contents and, as in this case and numerous others with freebies, cannot find it. anything else I should do?

drawn ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

as I said elsewhere I don't have either character or geometry in my libraRY.

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 11:51 AM · edited Tue, 21 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Content that you purchase from Renderosity can be installed from the library. 

"Uninstall" the copy that you placed in the Downloads folder. (That is, you'll probably need to manually remove the geometries, library files, and textures).

Open the Poser library. Click the Purchases tab. Then select the Renderosity radio button.

Enter your Renderosity user name and password and click Login.

8LffSh26zcPgeUv4n0NgTzKN4kSq4Gcyh0l10U1U.png

The library will list all of your Renderosity purchases. 

Find the product you want to install, and click the Install button.

After the product is installed, you'll need to expand the Purchases folder in the library window to find your products.

qral6sxyJRWWdQa1nKvLHO8mlzsXyFUALJmTBaSy.png

NOTE:  Products will only show up as "installed" if you install them to this Purchases folder. If you've already installed purchases in other runtime folders, you'll see an INSTALL button instead of an UNINSTALL button beside the product in the Renderosity purchases library folder..

Also a word of advice ... if you have hundreds or even thousands of Renderosity purchases, you may not want to click the Install All button. It's a long wait. LOL

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 11:53 AM
drawn posted at 11:22 AM Tue, 21 May 2024 - #4485102

as I said elsewhere I don't have either character or geometry in my libraRY.

The FIGURES category in the library (the first icon) is also "unofficially" known as the Characters library. Geometries do not show up in the library.

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Actually, if you installed your shoes in the Downloads folder, click the Downloads runtime folder (just above the Purchases runtime highlited above). If you see it there you won't need to reinstall it.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

In this particular case, the shoes are freebies.  As DeeceyArt posted, you must navigate to your Download runtime folder to find the casual shoes.  This is according to your workflow description.

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 1:23 PM

Ah, good point.

For drawn ... put Freebies in the Downloads folder like you did, as they won't show up in Purchases.

Rendo purchases can be installed in the Purchases library like I explain above. Purchases elsewhere will probably be in Downloads.

Unless you want to create your own custom runtime folders like you're asking about in another thread.

drawn ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 2:29 PM

this stuff is insane. I cannot find the lafemme2/characters, etc. in which to drop the deck shoes!

drawnSEvptcemNqOSbPOn6JDCNexyh96rfdPMf72Hbjmn.png

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 3:35 PM · edited Tue, 21 May 2024 at 3:37 PM

You'll notice that the shoes are properly arranged in a Runtime folder structure.  When this is the case, leave it exactly as it is arranged.

Drag the ENTIRE hierarchy, starting with Runtime into either your Poser 13 Content folder, or your Poser 13 Content > Downloads folder.   This will put everything where it needs to be. Geometries, Libraries, and Textures. With the way you are trying to do it now, by only trying to put the CR2 file in, you'll get errors because it won't be able to find the geometry and textures. The relations between the library file and its other parts is very important to keep intact.

This is basic stuff. Put it in your notebook for future reference. 8-)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 4:18 PM
Site Admin

What you are looking at is the zip file. Can you show us that file structure for unzipped files in your runtime?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Rhia474 ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 5:44 PM · edited Tue, 21 May 2024 at 5:46 PM
Online Now!

Guys, drawn is right. The structure for this freebie is incorrect.

Look: the Character folder is called CharacterS. It's not the same. I unzipped and examined it and you need to manually rename the folder to 'character', not characterS for it to even show up. Once you manually do that, it is all good, but this is a nontrivial mistake that is not evident unless you know exactly how everything is supposed to look.

aFNufwYvt7ubiaa32HpJbegiu1oin9VZXwEqWRw0.png

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 6:36 PM

OMG Good catch Rhia!

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2024 at 6:39 PM
Site Admin

Good catch

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

drawn ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2024 at 9:46 AM

DC thanks for illustrating how-to, BUT I can't change characterS into character. I click on it and the Mac just beeps and won't let me change it. How can I safely do that? and I presume leave it where it is, and then quit and restart Poser? Is that the way?

drawn

drawn ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2024 at 9:48 AM · edited Wed, 22 May 2024 at 9:48 AM

sorry forgot to include this screen cap..aNzela8gphsyBEMq4y141mZX0u4UgtKVaEaZk6Jg.png

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2024 at 10:03 AM · edited Wed, 22 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

You need to use a ZIP program to make any corrections to folder names.  The Windows 11 browser can allow you to 'peek' into zip files but will not allow you to rename or correct. In your case, you also need a 3rd party ZIP program.

drawn ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

bugger! quelle nuisance. i have no idea what kind of program that might be, or how to use it. why isn't this opened zip file changeable?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2024 at 12:30 PM
Site Admin

if you're on a windows computer, use winzip, winrar or 7zip.

If you're on a mac look here https://www.winzip.com/en/learn/file-formats/zip/mac/?alid=929653239.1716398911. Sorry, it's been decades since I used a mac and that was only to let my students play games

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2024 at 4:13 PM

After all these years, Winzip seems still to be paid, it's surprising, given then number of alternatives. Furthermore, zip and unzip are now integrated to Windows' Explorer. But I prefer 7Zip, the best for me.
I've found a free alternative for Mac: https://peazip.github.io/peazip-macos.html

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2024 at 7:29 PM

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to contact the original author, or someone on the Renderosity staff, to rename the Characters folder to Character in the zip file, and rre-upload it to freestuff. Otherwise there will be others that will have the same problem.

drawn ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2024 at 7:38 PM · edited Wed, 22 May 2024 at 7:38 PM

well, turns out the folder was Locked, and once I unlocked it I did change characterS to drop the S and then closed it out, assuming that it was loaded properly, but after restorting Poser still could not find the blessed deck shoes. they are indeed in the geometries folder that I do apparently have, but where is that? and I am not sure of finding the correct Runtime folder either?

wB0OxST0uPCgShsLqiNps2C80UdYqAtQenCNcrYP.png

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2024 at 7:50 PM

After you renamed the Characters folder in the ZIP file, did you reinstall it to the Downloads folder in your library?

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2024 at 7:57 PM

I see what the problem is.

dZ5crSoXuADs1u6e1JlTQau5k9GqIyrb3vBQB1he.png

The Runtime folder should be immediately beneath the Downloads folder. Just move the Runtime folder up one level in Finder, and delete the extra elleque_summer (bla bla bla) folder.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.