Thu, Oct 3, 10:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Setup room, no zRotate for first bone ?

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2024 at 7:04 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 7:30 AM

I've just noticed that this seems to be standard - when you go into the Setup room the first bone in the skeleton, the one directly parented to 'Body' (so usually 'Hip' for a humanoid figure, but plain old 'bone_1' in my example below) doesn't have the x/y/zRotate joint parameters that all other bones have.

Here's an example, a 2 bone figure created in Poser's Setup room from an imported OBJ file consisting of two cubes.

Bottom cube's grouped to bone_1 and has only 2 joint parameters that I can edit.

rnFRnhAlHtRdItjpnLOCnYNAj8JXC6ieCjdm6RG9.jpg

Top cube's grouped to bone_2 and has five parameters

zocupjwjb7g76pjwUJeeM9cu9EQWDOrQOBR0EXS0.jpg

I need to be able to set up the x/y/zRotate joint zones for the bottom cube/bone_1.

How can I do this ?

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2024 at 7:13 AM

The reason I'm asking is that the problem came up in post #67 on my topic over at Hivewire My rather infrequent, and possibly apocryphal, 'books project'. | Page 4 | HiveWire 3D Community. I know that I can sidestep the problem by inserting a dummy bone between 'Body' and 'bone_1', but I'd prefer not to do that if it's possible.

And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2024 at 9:26 AM · edited Mon, 12 August 2024 at 9:26 AM

The only differences I can see in the CR2 between bone_1 and bone_2  that seem to relate to this are highlighted in yellow on the comparison screenshots below - bone_1 on the left, bone_2 on the right.

Firstly, the twistY, jointX and jointZ are in a different position and order in the channels section and are named in a different manner

1wDBGCStasPArMBc8EDftUDAjzc63SohemaR34Jd.jpg 

Secondly, the twistY, jointX and jointZ of bone_1 all have two extra parameters - flipped and primaryParm.

SGzACpgTuGOxv0IP3n8k2GWocH6IVhmNQLHYiuKB.JPG

I've checked Kuroyume's unofficial CR2 spec but 2004 was a long time ago and it doesn't really give me any clues, except that the order of jointX and jointZ is important

While I wait for somebody who knows what they're talking about I may just try editing a copy of the CR2 to make the bone_1 joint parameters similar to the bone_2 ones... what's the worst that can happen ? ;o)

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2024 at 11:23 AM · edited Mon, 12 August 2024 at 11:24 AM

Right, that didn't really help.

But editing the CR2 reminded me that each bone has a joint (and joint parameters) with its parent, and another joint with each child. So it would seem that jointx, jointz, and twisty are for the the joint with the parent bone (just one parent), while bone_2_twisty, bone_2_jointz, and bone_2_jointx are the joint with the child bone, the bone id being required because there can be multiple children (and the names without bone ids are already used for the joint with the parent anyway).

I'd guess that when you look at the joint parameters for a bone in the Setup room you're seeing the joint parameters for the joint between that bone and its parent, which appear in the CR2 as the  jointx, jointz, and twisty within that bone(bodypart/actor) but also as the bone_N_twisty, bone_N_jointz, and bone_N_jointx in the parent bone(bodypart/actor).

So while the x/y/zRotate of the second, third, etc bone in a figure bends the joint between it and its parent, the x/y/zRotate of the first bone in a Poser figure doesn't bend any joint, but simply rotates the bodypart. That's perfectly logical.

I think I need to insert a dummy bone. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.