Fri, Sep 20, 4:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:32 pm)

Subject: WIP...Latest version. More comments needed!

Carnifex ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 11:47 PM ยท edited Thu, 15 August 2024 at 8:47 AM

Attached Link: Street repairs...

file_182704.jpg

Well, I changed some things per the suggestions of Fiontar and Bushi. I added some scars and some battledamage, plus some other paraphernalia. No postwork except the resize.Everything is done in texture. What do you think??? I am open for suggestions and criticism. Regards Ian

bushi ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 12:20 PM

It is coming along. I do like the texture on the pants much better then the earlier WIP. There must be a difference in the gamma settings on our monitors. I saved the image and goosed the gamma up in a 2D paint program. The result was a very different picture. As displayed here, I can't see that the figure was doing some repairs to his arm and the increadable amount of detail in the background. Now I know the gamma on this monitor isn't spot on but the difference is to great for that to be the problem. It may be worthwhile to see where your's is set because right now the images are appearing darker then I'd think you want them to be.

fiontar ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 5:04 PM

The new texture for the pants make a big difference! I understand that you want the image dark, but I agree it might be a little to dark, on my monitor anyway. Of course, I have had the same problem in the past myself. I do most of my work at night, with out a light on and things look great. Look at it with the glare of sunlight on the screen and it looks to dark! Bushi, maybe you should close your shades and put out the lights and take another look? ;-) Seriously, the darker the image, the more pronounced the difference in viewing on various monitors with different gamma settings. It's tought to get results that are going to look good on a majority of monitors! I like high contrast images and this looks great. Under daylight, I agree that some areas are to dark and detail is being lost. Is the metal in the arm set to a high reflectivity? If not, upping it may bring out the detail with out having to brighten the entire image. If it's already high, you might want to have a lit object off camera which will reflect off the metal in the arm. I've positioned items off camera in some of my work before in order to provide a better reflection off a sword. It could work here. :-)

bushi ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 9:22 PM

fiontar - But that makes it really hard to read my Python books when I'm working on scripts. ;->

Carnifex ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 11:13 PM

Well, I can tell you that on my monitor, even with the room lighted (small lamp behind and above my monitor) my blacks are black and not grey. My nvidia gamma controls tell me that my gamma is set at 1.10. I tried jacking it up to 1.6 and it opens up alot more details, but also makes his skin look washed out...Sheet..I don't know. It looks good on my monitor, what can I tell you. Thanks for the ideas...Actually most of the materials in his arm uses scarred or otherwise crumpled surfaces, that accordingly don't reflect much. Alot of anisotropic surfaces are also used, which further more cuts back on the visibility. I have tried numerous different lighting methods and styles and this current one seems to me to bring out the best mood. I'll see what I can do about picking out more details in his arm...Later Regards Ian

fiontar ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2001 at 1:53 PM

Ian, It's already an awesome image, but keep asking for suggestions and if there is anything in the image that's just short of perfect, I'll try to offer it up. :-) Eventually you have to decide "it's done". Just don't think that it isn't already a great image as is...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.