Sun, Oct 6, 5:48 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: A Simple Interior Scene?

jgmart ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2001 at 5:48 PM · edited Sat, 17 August 2024 at 7:36 PM

Hi Everyone, I'd like to try a VERY simple interior scene.... With two walls(maybe a window),a table and maybe something like a vase on the table. Does anyone have a link to or know of a tutorial that could guide me through the steps? I use Vue4. I'm not sure if walls are just planes with a material mapped on them..... I and know I'm not sure how to get a window in a wall. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks for your time! John

bloodsong ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2001 at 6:53 PM

heyas; you can use planes with a transmap for your window, or you can use cubes that are slimmed down, and use another cube to boolean subtract a window out. if you want to get fancy with no work, you can browse through the view objects and see if they have what you're looking for ;)

Axe555 ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2001 at 7:23 PM

Have a peek at my entry for this months Vue challenge (link to the thread in the announcements box above) I used a boolean differance to hollow out a cube, then put in two planes, one for the floor, one for the ceiling. As bloodsong said, I used another cube to cut a hole in the wall for the window. The reason I used a solid cube for the room is because it gave me greater control over how much light was actually in the room. Rich

riversedge ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2001 at 7:43 PM

Oh Axe555, How is it that a solid cube gives different control over amount of light in room than pieced together room made of - say - slabs? That has got me thinking........ It is exactly what I'm trying to experiment with at the moment. Thanks.

Axe555 ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2001 at 8:05 PM

I just find it easier and faster to use the cube and add a couple of planes for the floor and ceiling. Either way would work fine though. The main point is blocking the outside light so you can light the inside to taste. I've done some pics that have two walls, floor, and ceiling all made from planes to make a 'fake room' but the sunlight makes lighting it the way you want harder. Rich

Varian ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2001 at 11:16 PM

hat Rich said. And there are a few indoor scenes available in the free stuff that you could try out. :)

riversedge ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2001 at 9:16 AM

file_199572.gif

Oh, OK. I got it. Sort of like a 'test tube' or a test cube maybe. You get to control everything as you said. I'm actually trying to study how light DOES come into a "room" with controlled openings. The light comes into this room from UNDERNEATH the walls and is filtered through the water. Check out the shadows on the walls and ceiling from the surface of the water. Light also enters through the slits along the top of the walls. There is just a bit of sky and cloud visible. This setup only seems to work with a volumetric atmosphere. There is a streak on the water surface also reflected in the ceiling that I dont understand. any clues about it? Thanks.

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2001 at 3:15 PM

file_199573.gif

I was working on a new indoor scene and found something strange. The light in this whole scene is actually all from the light fixtures on the ceiling, plus some from the hidden room to the right, as well as through the door to the left and through the window. I haven't even begun to finish this, and I was just doing a test render. All this stuff was made in Rhino and imported into Vue as a .3DS file, and textured in Vue. The strange thing is, the window on the back wall, which is a Rhino boolean difference, doesn't seem to have any light coming through it, even though the light source is the same as the one which is casting rays through the arch door at the left. It's a volumetric spotlight, and according to the previews, the light cone is all over the back window too. *shrug*

riversedge ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2001 at 4:58 PM

Well that's really amazing! I have a similar thing happening in the above render. there should be at least a little reflected light along the top right edge of the wall from all the light outside. Maybe since it is an original rhino nurbs, it is seeing (and getting light blocking somehow) part of the surface that the control points tell us are still there in Rhino??? Who knows? Then there is another Rhino import that I have where the light spills in through a booleaned opening.....

jgmart ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2001 at 6:29 PM

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions..... I'm tryin' my first interior scene this weekend........ John

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Fri, 10 August 2001 at 1:30 AM

Attached Link: http://www.shrewslair.com/vue.html#objects

file_199576.gif

There is a complete building, with windows and doors already in .vob format at the above link. It has 5 complete rooms and an exterior shell so that you can use only the walls that you want, resize them to suit your needs and still have room to move the camera around. And the best part is, it's FREE. Kate

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.