Fri, Sep 20, 3:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:20 pm)

Subject: Poser Books

AGENTJOHN ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 8:56 AM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 12:34 AM

Has anyone read any good Poser 4/Pro Technical/educational/texture rendering books, if so could they let me know what they were and whether or not they were good or bad. Many Thanks John

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 9:02 AM

I'm very happy to recommend Poser 4 Pro Pack f/x & Design by Richard Schrand. Published by Coriolis ISBN 1-58880-099-7

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 9:42 AM

Stay far away from anything by Shamms Mortier.

Impudicus Rex ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 9:47 AM

Oh yeah! That Shamms Mortimier is a hack of the worst kind! A sound rogering with the business end of an elk would be too good for that guy!

AGENTJOHN ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 10:21 AM

That bad??

Impudicus Rex ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 11:10 AM

Worse!

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 11:58 AM

LOL -- Shamms is, Im sure, a really nice guy whos making a better than decent living writing books on things that he would do better to leave to others. His Poser 4 book was a good expansion on the manual, but it wasnt something worth the forty bucks Charles River was asking for it. He seems to think that the best way to teach the program is to exxagerate the hell out of it, so he winds up with the weird characters that he uses to distraction (Hes been using the same ones since Poser 3), odd color combinations, and p***-poor composition. Then he has his "masters" section, where he introduces the work of people far better than he could ever hope, and I can only assume he puts them in so people wont see Poser as just some toy program for making weird distorted characters. Hes also published books on Bryce (stay far, far away from that one -- go to the one by Susan Kitchens, Real World Bryce, instead) and on CGI comic books, which features -- to no small surprise -- weird distorted characters. The man has about as much subtlety as a fifty pound mallet. I suppose we should be grateful to Charles River for at least publishing something on this program, but you cant tell me they dont know anyone else. Note to Ron: bundle up your tutorials and send them a proposal letter! Now!

Impudicus Rex ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 12:07 PM

okay... okay... Nobody deserves the "elk" treatment. I got carried away, ya see... I just got a new elk in the mail and... Oh skip it... :)~ If one considers the term "Evil Genius", Shamms is probably the nicest guy around. chuckle

Great Bizarro ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 3:09 PM

My Bryce book by Shamms fell in the toiled and it seemed a bit improved after that, most of the pages in the first part of the book stuck together. Seems things seek out their proper place at times.

ScottA ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 3:34 PM

I hate to break this to you folks. But Olde Mr.Mortier is writting yet another Poser book as we type. Planet earth is definately a strange place. ScottA

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 3:47 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Impudicus Rex ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 4:18 PM

No! Sirley you jest! Where do we forward the letters of complaint?

Impudicus Rex ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 4:27 PM

From the Charles River Media Website: CANCELLED The following titles have been cancelled. Animating 3D Comics Mortier 1-58450-024-7 Hollywood Effects Desktop Magic Mortier 1-58450-013-1 Mastering 3ds Max Animation Mortier 1-58450-048-4 There is a god! I plan to sacrifice several virgins this very eve! :)~

JeffH ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 4:43 PM

I think the Best Poser "books" can be found here and within the community. The info is abundant and free. -Jeff

Impudicus Rex ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 4:47 PM

I was just over at amazon reading the reviews for Shamm's 20+ books. Geez... how does this guy get a publisher?

Niles ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 10:56 PM

When i purchased Poser, I needed all the help I could find... and I admit I used a gift certificate at Barnes and Noble for "The POSER 4 handbook" by Shamms Mortier. Of all the things that I have purchased for my Poser habit... that has to be most useless item of them all. The best help you can get is here at Renderosity, lot of great helpful people here. Also the User guide that came with Poser... mine looks like hell, but I refer to often... and I have not even tried the Animation part....yet. niles :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.