Tue, Oct 8, 10:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 08 7:44 pm)

Subject: Nostrils

Algorithm ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2002 at 1:28 PM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 10:36 PM

This has bugged me ever since I started viewing this gallery a year ago. It happens even with the best, most 'photorealistic' renders, and (for me, at least) COMPLETELY destroys the effect of realism. Real people have darkened nostrils. Poser people don't. I don't know if it's a bug in the software, or something that's just been overlooked, or what, but in almost every render I've seen, it seems as if the nose just doesn't cast shadows in the nostrils. It's an embarrasing glitch in what I would otherwise call an excellent modeling program. I'll admit, I don't have much experience in Poser, having only played with the demo. But how hard is it to fix such a (seemingly) simple thing? Please respond with any answers/theories/flames. I'm really quite curious about this.

Kiera ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2002 at 1:35 PM

Depending on the lighting situation I will use the "burn" tool on the nostril area.

Kalypso ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2002 at 2:04 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I've grouped the insides of my default P4 people with the grouping tool and assigned a new material called Nostrils because I got tired of having to do it in postwork.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2002 at 2:15 PM

bloodsong has a downloadable fix for the flaming-nostril problem (using the same method as Kalypso's) at 3D Menagerie, for the P3 and P4 nude figures.

aleks ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2002 at 2:57 PM

it's not a nose-glitch, it's an unability of poser to cast shadows on objects that are very close or touching shadow caster. it's very funny, because no matter how much you scale up your figures, that distance stays... :(

bloodsong ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2002 at 4:27 PM

heyas; be careful with those inflammable nostrils if you download mine. and don't overwrite your original poser objs, either. the male might not work at all, you might have to do him yourself.

Helen ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2002 at 1:22 AM

I put dark nostrils on the texture maps I make. Depending on design and skin colour I differ the degree of darkness. This works quite well.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Senior MarketPlace Tester

If anyone sees a mind wandering aimlessly around..... It is mine.  I want it back.

Maira ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2002 at 8:43 AM

I put dark nostrils on my texture maps too so the user won't have to worry about the nostrils :-)

Helen ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2002 at 9:03 AM

Hi Maria Isn't it amazing what a difference doing this makes. I can't remember who suggested I try this.. Darn Cyberhiemers ;> But I do thank them :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Senior MarketPlace Tester

If anyone sees a mind wandering aimlessly around..... It is mine.  I want it back.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.