Sat, Sep 21, 9:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: RayDream texture

adam ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2000 at 8:47 PM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 4:24 PM

I created a Dr. Grip pen in RayDream (didn't make the grip yet). I was wondering how to make these areas silver and the rest of the pen black... grip.jpg Is it possible? Thanx in advance -Adam

ClintH ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2000 at 9:11 PM

Is the pen one solid mesh form? If so, you could use UV Mapper on the OBJ file to create a texture template. Then paint the template in your favorite paint program and use it as a texture map on the pin. If you dont want to use a T-Map but use the RDS Shaders the parts that need to be shaded seperatly should be seperate meshes. Let me know if you need more help. Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

adam ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2000 at 9:30 PM

how do you export a UV Mapper?

ClintH ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2000 at 9:39 PM

Adam, Go over to the Poser Free Stuff section here at the forum and Search for UV Mapper from Steve Cox. This is a great program to use. Save your pen as an OBJ file from RDS. Open UV Mapper and load the pen OBJ (model) file. UV Mapper will create a blank texture map templte for the pen. Save the pen and texture map from UV Mapper. Bring the new pen OBJ file into RDS. Apply a shader to the pen that has the new texture map in the Color channel of the shader. Let me know... Clint PS - When you first bring the pen into UV Mapper it will look wrong. Just tell it to Create a New Map such as Planar.

Clint Hawkins

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

willf ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2000 at 11:31 PM

You may want to check the thread below - Breaking things apart... by DP4HIRE on 01/08 19:41 - That way you are able to use the native shaders in RDS.

adam ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2000 at 12:19 AM

Thank you so much Clint! It is very helpful! Now, when I upload my pen onto Renderosity, will the texture come with it? I am used to uploading objects in obp format because I use Bryce more often, so what format should I export the pen in? DXF? OBP? Thanx in advance. -Adam P.S. Thanx willf, but I think the UV mapper will be a little bit easier when using textures. But when I get more into making Poser firgures I will look farther into it.

ClintH ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2000 at 9:07 AM

Adam, Your very welcome. If you are going ot share the pen model with folks you should provide the OBJ file and the Texture map template. If you get a nice Texture map painted you could include that as well. Let me know if you need anymore assistance. Regards, Clint

Clint Hawkins

(Zakk Wylde (2007))

Spike ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2000 at 10:47 AM

You could of also split it up in RDS as a multi part obj. That wat peolpe would have the most options. Spike

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

adam ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2000 at 4:16 PM

hmmmm, interesting. I got the bitmap on the UV mapper and it looked a little hard to work with, so I changed it to Planar, Y-axis, and horizontal. The grip is not part of the texture (diff. object). This is what I got... Grip.jpg What did I do wrong? Thanx -Adam

ClintH ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2000 at 4:46 PM

Make sure the mapping mode in RDS for your object is set properly. Did the T-Map not map properly? Make sure you save the model (OBJ) File from UV Mapper after you make the Map. Also, Make sure that you are using this new Mapped OBJ file in RDS. Let me know.. Clint

Clint Hawkins

(Zakk Wylde (2007))

adam ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2000 at 5:43 PM

what do I do with the obj file from the uv mapper? Do I import it, because when I select import in RDS and I import the obj I saved from the mapper, it says error. And how do you export the object in RDS as an obj? I had to export it as DXF and import it into another program. Then I exported it from there as an obj. Could this be the problem?

willf ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2000 at 7:19 PM

Use "save as" wavefront obj from RDS instead of "export. This seems more reliable. If you split the different colored objects apart in RDS before saving as obj then UVmapper will be able to re-map each individual part (still one tex map). Go back to the freeform model and add control points and create cross sections before and after each silver part. Duplicate model and rename to "silverparts". Then jump in and disconnect the silver parts from the other. Do the opposit on the original and you will end up with two groups in perfect position. One for silver parts, one for balance of pen. Now they can be "shaded" in RDS or Bryce or can be run through UVMapper for new map.

ClintH ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2000 at 8:34 PM

Adam, willf is right. Thats one way to do it. You will have more control over texturing with that method. The quick and dirty way is: Export the file as WaveFront OBJ from RDS. Open UVMapper and read in the OBJ file you just Exported from RDS. Create the map in UV Mapper. Then Save the Model (OBJ) and Texture map from UV Mapper. It is important that you now use the OBJ file that you just saved out of UV Mapper. UV Mapper places mapping coordinates in this OBJ file. Now Import the OBJ file you just saved from UV Mapper back into RDS. Use the Eye Dropper on the model in RDS to pull up the Shader Editor. In the Color chanel of the Shader place a Texture map. Use the one that you just Saved from UV Mapper. If you dont color the texture map it should place the grid pattern on the pen. You might have to rotate the Texture Map in the RDS Shader Editor... If you still have problems post back. Regards, Clint

Clint Hawkins

(Zakk Wylde (2007))

adam ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2000 at 12:48 AM

thanx a lot for your help, Clint and Willf. I posted the Dr. Grip pen, but obviously the colors aren't right. I exported the object as a 3DMF to do something with it, and then I lost the document (i guess I accidentally threw it away) so I only could work with the 3DMF, which only allows me to work in the mesh form editer. The UV mapping was a little weird, so I am going to try it on a different model to see if it works better. Thanx again!! -Adam

ClintH ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2000 at 9:05 AM

Adam, Good luck. If you need anymore help feel free to post. Regards, Clint

Clint Hawkins

(Zakk Wylde (2007))

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.