Mon, Oct 21, 6:01 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 5:20 pm)

Subject: Let's Rumble!! Renaissance style......test preview and comments wanted..

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 5:54 PM · edited Fri, 19 July 2024 at 7:32 AM

file_283523.jpg

**Hear Ye, Hear Ye!** In the Jousting Arena today there will be 'Swords On Foot', 'Swords On Horse', 'Spears On Foot', 'Maces At Forty Paces', and as the highlight of the Tournament: **'The Joust'!!** At high noon ye shall be amazed with Falconry and behind the Arena for the kiddies ye shall find Jesters, Fools, Food, and not to mention Ale to quench ye weary thirst!

So without any further adue, LETS R..U..M..B..L..E!!

Just a down-and-dirty test of the first two segments of my Jousting Area Set. These are just photo textures thrown on as the 2 segments (main two decked viewing platform, one 'right-hand-side' stair set) are fully mapped individualy for custom texturing. There is also an assortment of Wooden Crest Shields to decorate the stand's front panels and railings. The main section can be lined up end-to-end to extend the length of any Arena!

Still planned are:
->'Deeper' center section for Royalty viewing (with a 'throne deck' and rear entrances)
->Stadium End-Entrance Gates
->Arena Center Divider (for the Jousts)
->Grader/Cryier Stand

** Now I have a few questions (keep in mind this is my first ever attempt so Beat Me Up!):

1. Does this look like something useful enough for Free Stuff?
  2. I am still having some difficulty with Poser 'rounding out' my edges.
    q. In UVMapper, does hitting "Tools->Split Verticals" accumulate in value? Or is it a 'one-time' effect?
  3. The main section is 980K in 'obj format', I was hoping for 400K~500K.
    q. I've heard of "reducing verticals"? How, and would this help without scrafice?

Thank ye to our trio of daring warriors who risked and life and limb to to make the first daring test of the structor's integrity.
Thank Ye:
Shariena (Eve4 wearing Traveler's Valkyrie Armor)
John Malis' Fantasy Warrior
Brycetech's Armor

P.S.
And thanks Gerald and AprilYSH for all the help in getting me started...way in over my head! ;-)

leather-guy ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 6:10 PM

A Jousting Arena; Huzzah! I'd definitely and specifically love to have it. It looks like you've put in a LOT of work. I've actually wanted this type of thing for a long time. I like everything you've done so far! Will it have banners, bunting, & pennants? (I'd have to buy Serrge Charger sets sooner than I figured:-))

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 6:36 PM

Well, this is cool. I think the Heavy Horse could knock it down though, LOL, just kidding I think this is really nice. Sharen

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 6:41 PM

Let me tell you if you do the split verticies, the whole thing will go, so your file will grow about 3 times as big. I don't think you should do that with this, because one reason, it looks good like this and some might use it in other software where it won't round out the edges. Poser and it's smoothing engine, really made for organic modles, but don't worry about it, really it looks good. Also, to make it look a little better in Poser, maybe your verticle beams should be mapped as a box so your texture could help make it look sharper. Do you know what I mean? Sharen

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 6:42 PM

Not the beams, I mean your posts. Sharen

ronknights ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 6:54 PM

That looks incredible. I have to give you credit just for being able to make such a thing. If this is half as good as it looks, it will be a welcome addition to anyone's collection. I wouldn't blame you for selling it. If you gave it away, I'd thank you profusely. Ron

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 7:06 PM

leather-guy: I'm thinking about banners if I kind find a method to make them fall limp and morph out to 'fly-in-the-wind'. At least it will probably have crest style weather viens for the post tops. There is also some wooden shields with a variety of crests I'm putting together. These will be separte so one could hang them anyway you wish! (my refrence pic is the final joust scene from "A Knight's Tale") SAMS3D: I already did apply "Split Verticals" to this one but it seems to have lost it somewhere along the line, or maybe this is the best Poser will do. In Anim8or format both parts are only 406K but in mapped OBJ they grew to 1.68meg. I guess if this is all it flattened out to I try re-mapping Without it and see how much it saves (except the posts). I think it will look much better once the textures are assembled to scale with the maps, for this quickie render I just grabbed some photos out of the 'junk drawer' without using the maps. Sorry I don't get too much time so the whole project will still keep me busey awhile. I'm so looking forward to 'giving' instead of just 'taking' from you all; Thanks!

AprilYSH ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 7:45 PM

There's something in anim8or itself where you can select an edge and tell it to be sharp, I can't remember which it is, in the edit dropdown. I recall it from doing the eggplant tute. I think. This is looking VERY nice! A few banners and hangins here and there, reminds me of A Knight's Tale. Glad to help in a small way, I like fiddling in anim8or too!

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 10:27 PM

You may wish to consult a couple of other sources than a Hollywood fantasy, however, it will be no less authentic than the armor. ::sigh:: I like the idea, though. Archery was a major requirement for many Englishmen of the period, and feats of archery were applauded. I'd suggest targets (both the rings and the posts... and NOT up against the viewing stands) so that competitions could be judged. Carolly

igohigh ( ) posted Wed, 06 March 2002 at 12:37 AM

"consult a couple of other sources than a Hollywood fantasy" >>Actually I have; that pretty young warrior lass posing above, that's Shariena, she was raised by Dragons and joined the Tornement to defend dragons from would-be Dragon Slayers. Within 'my' area it is quite common place to lay witness to Dragon and even Unicorn jousts... Archery? Kinda Robin Hoodish, I like the idea though. But kinda like watching golf or tennis on TV, I like the full contact sports ;-P

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.