Fri, Sep 20, 5:05 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Arg why is Vue being so slow

Buffer ( ) posted Sun, 24 March 2002 at 11:47 PM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 5:02 PM

Ok, here is the deal. Had a scene with about 500,000 polys in it. My system is an AMD 1ghz, with 512 megs of PC2100 DDR. Video is supplied by a GeForce2 64 meg card (yeah I know it is getting old). Yet vue is having a REALLY hard time keeping the view ports refreshed. I am assuming it has to do with the OpenGL portion of the drawing. But working in the wireframe version is sometimes an exercise in frustration. Also, when I turn the settings down from 100% better to anything less I get about 1/10th of the polys of any non terrain object in the view port until I select it. Anyone have a solution for this. It is getting to the point where it takes 45 seconds to select something in a render of under 1 million polys, and then 1.5 minutes for the viewports to refresh. I have disabled task I can and the swap file is set to 1.5 gigs so I don't see an issue there. Suggestions...?

gebe ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 3:53 AM

Sometimes I'm working on scenes with over 2 Millions of polygons and Vue works fine. Sometimes, I only have 300.000 polys and Vue gets so low that I have to wait an eternity to select or to move things. I also have a AMD 1 G, 256 RAM. I'm not a technician, but I believe that polygons are not always the same. A sample is when I use plants or flowers from Tucan's site, they make Vue very slow. Other objects like Poser figures with the same number of polygons let me work normally. Maybe somebody here who knows more about polygons and vertices ? Guitta

audity ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 4:57 AM

Buffer : This is definitely too long.
My only suggestion : disable OPEN GL and use smooth and flat shaded preview for only one of the views (i.e. main camera) and "wireframe" for all the others. You will get a fast refreshing rate. You could also hide some layers to improve it.

Well Guitta, it seems that VUE acts strangely with some imported meshes. On one scene I went up to 40 millions polygons without any problems (1GHz PIII-256Mb). But It was only made of "VUE stuff" : primitives, terrains and vegetation. While for another scene I used a DE ESPONA 3DS model of only 400 000 polygons and VUE was getting really slow. Strange... Maybe Steve can answer this ? Could you ask him Guitta ?

Eric

YL ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 5:43 AM

Same problem as Guitta for me : -sometimes with 1 million polygons, all is OK -sometimes 200000 polygons and refresh time is long All polygons are not equal in effect on refresh rate (1 million polygons in terrain is not a problem) . I don't know why, I am interested if someone knows about. Yesterday I made a scene with polygons, Vue freezed several times (out of memory message). Yves

gebe ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 5:51 AM

Attached Link: http://www.speech.kth.se/~olov/Powerpoints/Eurospeech99/sld003.htm

Maybe this is an explanation. I understand that a "X number" of polygons can be made from "y number" of vertices and that the number of vertices used to create a polygon are not always the same?????

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 6:32 AM

Eric, I believe the problem with that ship by Espona is the number of objects, and not the polygons. I can't remember though because I don't have it anymore, but it seems to me that it has over 400 parts or something like that. In Vue, you can have a SINGLE object with 1,000,000 polys and have a perfectly acceptable refresh rate. Now, if those 1,000,000 were divided up into a model with several hundred indivuidual "parts" (separate objects, as far as Vue is concerned), Vue will slow down. For me, at 600mhz, I start noticing it at around 300 objects, and the poly count doesn't seem to matter at all.

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 6:38 AM

Oops, I guess I just assumed you were talking about a ship model by Espona, but maybe not. The few objects of his I've tried ahve all been made up of many parts, and slow Vue down. Incredible models, though.

gebe ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 6:39 AM

So it is with the flowers from Tucan, Mike, they are often made from 200 or more parts. But when I create complicated booleans in Vue (my image Greece) and then group them, they also have 200 parts and Vue works fine. Hmm? Guitta

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 6:57 AM

Sounds like one for E-on, Guitta. I would have no idea how to explain that.

audity ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 8:31 AM

it's not a ship Mike, but a train ! anyway, it's true that it's made of many separate objects(more than 200). But I have other models with only 20-30 parts and I have exactly the same problem...

sittingblue ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 8:44 AM

You may want to hide objects using the hidden command. That's what I do with layers and objects that I'm not working on at the time. That will definitely speed things up.

Charles

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 9:14 AM

Here's a stupid question. I have never been able to figure out how to hide a selected object. The manual only says it can be done, but doesn't say how. I know how to hide a layer, but not a single object or a group of them.

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 9:16 AM

Oh DUH! Never mind, I just found it, in the "aspect tab". All this time, and I never saw that. :P

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 9:20 AM

Oh yeah! That works GREAT! I just made a plant and replicated it 500 times. That slowed the interface down considerably, but hiding all of them brough it all back to speed. Excellent!

Varian ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 11:22 AM

Sometimes I've noticed the slowness comes as a result of how large the VUE file is becoming in bytes. I may only have 100,000 polygons and perhaps 40 groups, but if the bytes are climbing into the 20-40 MB range, Vue will react more slowly. I remember when Guitta did her penguin image, she had to wait like 10-15 minutes between each motion/change. Each penguin was something like 5 MB in itself, and with a multitude of penguins in the scene, it was very slow going for her. Mike, thanks for the tip for hiding a single object! I hadn't known that either! :D

YL ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 11:36 AM

Interesting tip, thanks Mike. But I don't think the problem is related with the number of objects : I mean the problem arised for me with one object (an a single part) of 200000-300000 polygons. I guess it could be related to the type of object (.dxf, .obj, .vob) which could take more or less memory. But where could we find information about that ?

gebe ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 12:09 PM

file_1812.jpg

Mike, what do you mean with "aspect tab" where you hide objects ? I don't know this tab, where is it ? I use the small icon to hide things. Guitta

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 3:32 PM

Yves, I don't know how to explain it, honestly. Guitta, that's what the manual calls that tab, on page 29, the "Aspect" tab. The whole thing, not just the arrow. The other two up there are called "Numerics" and "Animation".

Lyne ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 3:33 PM

I too want to know where the hide thing is.. might be usefull... I also have an AMD 1000 and 512 MB ram..and the GForce 2 card with DDR ram...got that fast ram (hope I got the letters right...that fast new stuff :) on the mother board.. and I STILL have to turn off the open gl or it is just tooo slow, with all the updating ever time I make a change or move an object the teeniest bit.. Bryce 4 loves the open gl mode now...so I am pretty sure it is just the way vue 4 is written... still love vue though... even in wireframe! :) Lyne

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

gebe ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 3:41 PM

Thanks Mike. LOL, I never had a look to the user guide, only to correct wrong tutorials in there. But I went right now to page 29 and saw:-). When we were beta testing, we had no hand book and no on-line help at all. Had to get used to it without:-). Guitta

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.