Mon, Sep 23, 10:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 6:44 pm)

Subject: Check the links within your poser files--freebee program

brycetech ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2002 at 9:11 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 10:32 PM

file_9956.GIF

Hi all http://www.brycetech.com/stufftodelete/package.zip (2.6 mb) got a freebee for you this is called 'Link Checker' it is part of the program I have written that reduces the amount of work of creating distributable poser files while ensuring that all files called for are indeed included. it monitors obj, pz2, pp2 and cr2 files for things such as .bum .mtl textures embedded geometry absolute links link verification rotational dial names and more all easily set up by you so that you can not only check files you intend to distribute, you can also check files that you download and fix them before you install them in your poser directory. And if you leave the default editor as 'wordpad', link checker can also help you edit the files by automatically opening them and filling in the find and replace boxes for you. "Link Checker" NEVER alters a file. You must do that on your own in another program. Like I said, I use this program when making my characters. This is just one small part of it, but since there seems to be such a fuss over free files missing thing, I spent part of today stripping this out of my main program so that I could give it away. It may not be redistributed..and it currently is limited to work only until jan 1, 2003. By that time, I'm sure there will be an update or two to accomidate the poser commmunity and make it easier for everyone to use. sorry mac folks, this is windows only. It *should* work on all windows versions..(except 95). It is written in visual basic 6 sp5 and includes the necessary runtime files. If there are problems, please let me know and I'll post an update. later BT

scifiguy ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2002 at 9:16 PM

DUDE! This is VERY cool! See, who says complaining never accomplishes anything? :)

Roy G ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2002 at 10:09 PM

Wow, I drop one little hint and PRESTO. Just what I need.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank you!

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2002 at 11:12 PM

Can you post a copy without the runtimes? I believe Microsoft started including the VB runtimes with Win2K. I had thought of doing something quick and dirty but this is great. Thanks.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

jelisa ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2002 at 12:18 AM

thanks, BT -darlisa

Irish ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2002 at 7:30 AM

Thanks very much! :) Irene

miryam ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2002 at 7:48 AM

Terrific - thx a million!

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2002 at 8:46 AM

Brycetech, have I told you lately that I love you? Finally, I can figure out what's in those PZ3 files to archive them after I go and move textures in a fit of sleep depravation and then can't remember where I put them. Thanks!

Jackson ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2002 at 1:24 PM

Ditto what everyone else said. Well, except for the 'love you' part.

adidas ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2002 at 2:09 PM

I can only say one thing -thank you-

scourge ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2002 at 3:58 PM

Sounds very good but I can't run it. I just get a "Link checker time trial expired" message. I checked that the date in my system is correct. I have Win2k Pro with SP2. Is there something I can do?

Ilari

brycetech ( ) posted Mon, 27 May 2002 at 2:39 PM

Complaining accomplishes nothing, action tho is a bit differnt :P btw, it only installs the runtimes if you dont have them or yours are out of date. and ya just cant have enough love..lol scourge: I need more info: where are you in the world? how is the date formatted on your system? For instance, I know some areas dont use month, day, year...some use day, month, year...and some even use year first. Once we figure out the problem, I'll happily post an update to fix it :) BT

scourge ( ) posted Mon, 27 May 2002 at 4:28 PM

I live in Finland, the time zone is GMT+02:00 Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn.

When I type "date" in the command prompt I get "ti 28.05.2002" ("ti" is an abbreviation of "tiistai" which means tuesday).

"time" command gives "0:20:09.88".

I hope this info is useful.

Ilari

brycetech ( ) posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 11:18 AM

scourge, I posted an update that should hopefully fix your problem because it now strips you date into individual parts and then reassembles it the way the program needs it for date comparisons. The link is the same as above. I hope it fixes the problem. It works here now even after changing my computer's date setup to the one you stated above. thanx :) BT

scourge ( ) posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 3:41 PM

It's working!!! Thank you brycetech for the quick update and the very useful tool. I always greatly respect people who offer their hard work for free.

I think lmckenzie's point was that the runtimes (the dlls, not the ocxs) make the package bigger. And since most people already have the dlls you could just provide a link to the runtimes download page for those people without the components. Of course the full package is easier and most people have a fast connection nowadays (I still have a v90 modem).

Thanks again,
Ilari

shadownet ( ) posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 7:35 PM

Thanks, this looks to be very useful.

brycetech ( ) posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 8:58 PM

cool beans :) Im glad that fixed the problem. now for suggestions to appear. I know everyone is happy to get a freebee, but I'd like some practical suggestions as well. Practical meaning, dont ask the freebee to zip, unzip, check and auto create the entire poser model :P Im sure everyone will hit obstacles that they want to 'wish' for, so this is the chance to do so. Hey..Im in the mood :P BT

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 9:04 PM

Well, assuming I'm using it right, and the 1 file I've used it on isn't atypical, here's a couple of wishes. * It seemed to run somewhat slow. When I used it to figure out what was used in the pz3 file for "Longing For My Better Half", which is 5.08 MB, I ended up leaving it to go overnight. * Any way to just output a list of the files linked to instead of all the details? Thanks again for this great tool! It'll help me clean up my Rendering Projects folder.

brycetech ( ) posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 9:23 PM

overnight? lol what are you running it on? what tsr programs are you running? (screen savers etc) I have a really bad file (my ratman) and he only takes 'bout 5 minutes that pz3 probably contains things you cant distribute so I cant see it first hand. I run it on a 500 mhz 384 machine, and like I said Ive never seen such a happening unless I let it run my entire poser directory (786 mb)..and that takes only ~ 4 hours BT

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Wed, 29 May 2002 at 7:02 AM

Well, let's see. I'm running on an AMD-K6 500 MHz, with Windows 98 SE and 375-ish megs of RAM. Background programs are a screensaver, a calendar program, a CPU cooler, and a personal firewall. I was multi-tasking when I started (but then again, I usually am ^_~), and I have no idea how long it went once I stopped the others. Anyway, the PZ3 just has freebies that won't do you any good without the objs and morphs of my own making, so I can send it to you if you want.

brycetech ( ) posted Wed, 29 May 2002 at 9:27 AM

ok zip it and send it to brycetech@yahoo.com thanx BT

brycetech ( ) posted Wed, 29 May 2002 at 9:20 PM

hi we are running virtually the same machine (specwise) 'cept I use a pentium I downloaded your file and it tool <7 minutes to completely check. It wouldnt have taken that long, but when a person doesnt have every link, the program has to cycle all the way thru everlink it finds to verify its not there..so in honest, if I'd had the files in my poser directory...itd probably take about 5-6. If your computer is taking much longer than 7 minutes to run the file, you have something eating your processor cycles. oh, while Im thinking of it: there is an option in the program to check 'rotational order', this isnt necessary unless you are creating a character from scratch. Rotational orders just checks a cr2 for the default xrotate, yrotate, zrotate Poser assigns by default. Most character creators want to change that to something more meaningful like twist, side-side, bend or similar. Anyhow, you can uncheck it if not creating a character from scratch. That will significantly reduce times. In fact, if you uncheck it, then recheck it, you will see link checker warn you that youve just stepped in the doo :P btw, I checked it with everything checked...but minus the rotational orders..it tool < 3 minutes...with < 7 minutes. There is one additional thing I can do to even reduce the time more if theres a mass desire to do so. It has to do with 'percieved speed'. Percieved speed is when a person running a program can actually see something happening with a program when its running. This makes it seem like its taking less time to do something, even when it may take 2x as long. Im sure we've all had those programs that just turn the mouse to an hourglass, and you begin to wonder if it hung up. Anyhow, in the case of this program, the percieved speed is the actual watching of the program highlight each target it finds. I can add an option to hide that text box where the action is taking place and since the computer wont have to display that bit of information by screen redraw and such..it will probably speed it up ~30-50% in actual time. But a person watching it work will actually think its not doing anything. I guess that option could be used for those who like to multi-task. I have done this in another part of the program; one part you see screen updates, one part you dont..the difference is significant..even up to 75% faster. later BT

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 6:55 AM

Well, I was multi-tasking, and not every link was where it was expected, so that probably explains the time it took. It could have finished 30 seconds after I closed everything else and went to bed for all I know. ^_~

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.