Fri, Sep 20, 8:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Poser 5 (what else) problem: greyed out Rotation Trackball

dialyn ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 7:38 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 8:29 AM

I was working on a graphic in Poser 5, saved it and then tried to open it in Poser 5. Got the infamous C Correction error so I imported it instead. It shows up but I can't adjust the overall graphic any more as far as how far it is from the camera. The Rotation Trackball is greyed out and the Move X and Z doesn't work. In fact, the trackball greys out immediately as the graphic appears. I tried changing numbers in the camera Parameter Dials but that does zero. I can render the figures. I can change the texture on the figures. I can't move the camera in any direction (though I can still view from different camera angels). In fact the only thing that does move, rather suddenly, is Judy's hair which randomly pops on and off her head in a somewhat demented manner. May I assume this is more memory problems? I've tried rebooting, closing all unnecessary programs down, etc. It appears to me that Poser 5 works best when I can finish a graphic in one sitting, but this isn't practical. Then again, what exactly is practical in Poser 5? Mind you, I haven't tried dynamic cloth, hair, or moulding the features...I'm just trying to do a simple graphic with no fancy extras. I so admire those of you who can use this software. I always knew I was a techno-dummy but does Poser 5 have to go out of its way to prove it to me?

Lapis ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 8:08 PM

You shouldn't have to be a tech wizard. You're an artist right! You just want your paint brushes and easle to work. I understand your frustration. I to am having major difficulties with the program. Interestingly enough though, just this program out of hundreds I've used.

dialyn ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 8:16 PM

I'm not even an artist. I'm just someone who wanted a hobby to help relieve stress after a day at work. Somehow, this isn't quite what I had in mind.

X1 ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 10:32 PM

TalleyJC on X1's machine..... I've seen the grey track ball when you use a camera that doesn't pan...... for example... right, left , top and bottom cams don't pan so they take the trackball away from you

dialyn ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 10:36 PM

file_27349.jpg

That makes sense, but this was the main camera for which the panning function was disabled. By the way, I finally ditched that graphic and started from scratch. Same objects, same figures, same textures, but this time I did the graphic in one sitting. And Poser 5 let me complete the graphic with no problem. I'm posting the graphic, not because I think it is so great, but so you can see how simple a graphic it was. Nothing at all unusual or complicated about it.

nerd ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 10:58 PM
Forum Moderator

I had a camera blow up a scene a while back. Here's what I did... * Create a temp library for figures. Save each figure to the library. * If there are any props, do the same. * If you 've got a fancy ligh setup, ditto * Close Poser (maybe even reboot) * Start a new scene and load each fo your temp figures (Props, lights) A lot of work, but better than starting over ;) ngsmall02.gif
Nerd

nerd ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 11:00 PM
Forum Moderator

Just thought of something, you didn't maybe accidentally hit Object > Lock actor on the camera?

dialyn ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 11:08 PM

Good advice. It may take some additional work but, you're right, it's better than having to start over each time. Anything is possible. I will have to go through my steps and see if an accidental lock would be a possibility. Thank you! I'll give your method a try.

reiss-studio ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 11:41 PM

heya, dialyn, you should send the .pz3 file to curious labs support. Iit ain't a bug, maybe they can see if it is something about the specific camera that's preventing it from being allowed to move

soulhuntre ( ) posted Mon, 14 October 2002 at 6:59 AM

I agree, I think it is something about the camera settings, either it got locked or whatever. I have saved and loaded hundreds of times in P5 without trouble, so it doesn't look liek you have to do it all in one sitting.

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 14 October 2002 at 7:10 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried bringing in the second try this morning and the*.pz3 file imported without problem (i.e., the tracking ball was functional) so I must have accidently triggered something yesterday that isn't wrong with the second try. I appreciate all your help....this is very much a learning experience for me.

bloodsong ( ) posted Mon, 14 October 2002 at 5:21 PM

heyas; when you import a scene, it might switch to the camera that was active when you saved the scene. so if you were in the left or front camera etc, when you hit save, it might have popped up and put you in the parallel camera. which, of course, can't use the trackball.

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 14 October 2002 at 5:28 PM

I hate blaming everything on Poser 5 because this is clearly a user problem rather than a software problem, but I do think Poser 4 is more forgiving of lapses in saving/opening a scene. At least I don't remember having this problem with Poser 4 and I rather carelessly saved and opened endlessly with it. Thank for additional good advice. I'll try again tonight and see what the next adventure brings. :)

Vitzer ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 9:21 AM

An interesting trend. Why is it that when a problem like this gets resolved, the finger pointing doesn't change in the title of the reply? Certainly some of the issues are the P5's problem, but this just seems messy to me. Like leaving muddy footprints on the carpet. Maybe I'm wrong, been told that before, but it seems like threads that end up this way should be tidyed-up with a change in the thread title.

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 9:35 AM

Does that help? There's no way I can go back and "clean up" the thread. I thought it was a Poser 5 problem at the beginning....I admitted from the start I am still learning and some things I've run into have been Poser 5 bugs. This one is a combination of Poser 5 having quirks in accessing files and my own innocence about using it (Poser 4 doesn't give me the same problems). I didn't post from ill will but in an effort to learn. Curious Labs had not responded to my inquiries and the forum is often the fastest and best source of information. And my greatest thanks to the people who helped me work through my problem....I am very grateful that they took their time to lend a hand.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.