Wed, Sep 18, 3:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Help Needed - Wires and Cables

cshaftoe ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 6:09 AM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 5:50 AM

Hi! Can anyone tell me how to create a flexible wire or electric cable for a scene I'm working on? Something like an electric extension lead.... Regards The Bryster (Chris)

Aldaron ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 7:01 AM

If you have Bryce 5, metaballs along a path are fairly easy and look pretty good.

cshaftoe ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 1:44 PM

Aldaron: Nice idea......but maybe a bit fiddly? The Bryster (Chris)

airflamesred ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 2:37 PM

my solution would be as usual to use metasequioa - select a tube and keep cutting and bending where neccesary.

Claymor ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 3:03 PM

The other thing to try takes a good deal of pre work but it can come out ok. -Start in your graphics prgram with a black background. -Draw your cable shape in a relatively darkish grey make it somewhat wide too...maybe 6-10 pixels. -Make a copy of the shape in white, but narrower, 3-5 pixels this time and lay this new shape right down the center of the first one. -Blur the white until your result looks like a line the has a gradient running from light in the center to dark at the edges. (I use microsoft image composer which comes with MS frontpage...this is all very easy to do in that package.) What you have now created is an image map that will render a rounded line because of the gradient. Use this as your image map in the mirror tool in Bryce...the one that creates a rock that is the same top and bottom. With a little careful removing of borders in the image you can get a pretty good rounded cable. The whole trick is to be sure the shape you draw is the shape you want. I like stretched metaballs myself but you are right...that method is a bit fiddly. Hope this wasn't too confusing. -Claymor

airflamesred ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 3:55 PM

file_30251.jpg

15 minutes - its not great but

cshaftoe ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 8:03 PM

Wow! Thanks, guys! I d/ld metasequ and have just installed it. I guess I have to learn how to use it now....LOL Airflames: You wouldn't like to send me that rope file would ya??? Please!! Claymor: I'll try this, I'm thinking it might have other application stoo. Again, thanks to you all! The Bryster (Chris)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 9:55 PM

There are various solutions, as others have stated above. Anything hose or wire is going to have to be fiddled with, they are just kinda difficult by nature. Use Metaballs. Do it in Photoshop in post work. Use a free modeling program (metasequioa) If you have Poser there are free posable ropes which can be used. AgentSmith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 9:55 PM

file_30252.jpg

Here's Bryce 5 Metaballs.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 10:00 PM

file_30253.jpg

Here's a Posable rope from Poser.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 10:08 PM

file_30254.jpg

Another program that I like to use isn't originally made for wires and hoses in mind, but I've tailored it to my needs, is called KnotTyer3D. It takes planning to use it, but makes great meshes. I've used it here for rope, but can be used for anything else similar. It comes with a lot of premade settings, but you can also create from scratch. http://www.abbott.demon.co.uk/knottyer3d.html AgentSmith

EricofSD ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 11:43 PM

Attached Link: http://www.armanisoft.ch/webdesign/default.htm

Or you can try spiralizer.

airflamesred ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2002 at 3:12 PM

If you dsperately need it Chris wait till my email is working - looks like there's more on offer - any metasequioa questions fire away

cshaftoe ( ) posted Thu, 07 November 2002 at 7:22 PM

Many many thanks to all you guys for helping out. I'll post the result as soon as it's done. The Bryster (Chris)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.