Sat, Sep 21, 6:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: i HAVE A PRETTY FLOWER TO SHOW TOO!

PPsphere ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2002 at 5:19 PM · edited Thu, 15 August 2024 at 10:21 PM

Attached Link: PPsphere

file_31542.jpg

I like the daisy i just looked at. QUIZ TIME; anyone ID the bloom? What flower are we looking at? I know that is a wasp....no points for that one.

PPsphere ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2002 at 5:20 PM

file_31543.jpg

another shot

billglaw ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2002 at 8:58 PM

I'll take guess, Hollyhock?

Caledonia ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2002 at 7:56 AM

Hibiscus. Looks the the variety that is hardy in colder climates like New England.

PPsphere ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2002 at 9:23 AM

Well .... I hate to snuff the guessing game.... SO....in case others take it on.... I must tell you that it is not a hibiscus...it is of a very common and large plant....two clues there for you!!!!

PPsphere ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2002 at 9:24 AM

OH YES...not a HollyHock...I see the similarity!!!

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2002 at 10:28 AM

Not an Angel Trumpet?

PPsphere ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2002 at 4:40 PM

what a great name,,,I'll have to remember that name when I look for seeds next time. clues go on.... it is a huge vegetable plant not necessarily a plant with a huge vegetable

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2002 at 5:04 PM

Looks like a vine in the background, I'll say cucumber, but I think the flowers are yellow.

Michelle A. ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2002 at 5:44 PM

Well I thought for sure it was a Hibiscus.....so I was wrong right off the bat.... A gardner I'm not......

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

danob ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2002 at 7:54 PM

At a guess is it a pumpkin or marrow family of plants?

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

PPsphere ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2002 at 9:04 PM

these are all good guesses: I do not know what a marrow plant might be.....pumpkin it is not. If you get back from a check I'll remind you it is a large plant with a small vegetable. The real clue is in the picture already. It shows the vegetable in part.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2002 at 9:17 PM

Well, the second pic seems to show a cucumber. Since that is not correct, I'll go with zuccini...though some might consider that a large vegetable.

PPsphere ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 11:14 AM

cucumber has similar qualities to this vegetable....in color and proportion (width versus length).....it is rare for the home garden and people enjoy it in Southern US dishes. The clues should really add up by now..... http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/PPsphere/

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 1:50 PM

Squash.

PPsphere ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 3:31 PM

I think cukes and squash might be related.... I let this go as long as it doesn't get to stale.. More clues....this plant gets seven to eight feet tall and has a stalk like three inches in diameter.... NO....the clues are not a joke!!!!

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 3:37 PM

I believe, with that last clue, that I have no clue.

starshuffler ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 4:57 PM

Gumbo?

PPsphere ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 5:41 PM

WE HAVE A BINGO!!!!!!!!! StarShuffler done did it!!! There was a pod next to the flower all the time. I call it OKRA, like that is the seed you have to buy to grow it. The Flowers are real pretty and the plants get huge if they get sun and water. If you can't wait for your tomatos to get red and have lots of green tomatos you can chop up some okra with the tomatos and bread the mess in corn meal or corn muffin mix and fry it. A nice side dish. It goes in GUMBO soup as most know.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 5:45 PM

Dude, I eat Okra all the time. Never heard it called gumbo. Also, I used to pick it from our garden...never saw a plant THAT tall!

PPsphere ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 5:49 PM

Chuck --- you can see a pod behind the blossom. This okra plant was unreal it was indeed seven feet tall. It had a dozen pods or more on the top when it peaked out. Maybe they did not get enough sun. THis one got lots of sun and Miracle Gro and water every week. I had some in the shade that were from two to four feet tall.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 6:05 PM

Yeah, 2-3 feet, that's my memory. But I know what you mean. A friend of mine was REALLY into growing tomato plants. Dug irrigation, special fertilizer, etc. for them. He showed me one of his good years and the darn things were about 9 feet tall !!!

starshuffler ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 6:12 PM

We call it okra here, too. I just like the sound of gumbo. Hehehe :-) Do I get a prize? ;-) (*

PPsphere ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 8:48 PM

you won StarShuffler....you knew...that is a good prize, I ran through a bunch of thumbs in your photo lab SS and you seem to know what is a good photo subject... Chuck...he must have really proped up those plants. I saw some I grew with 1 1/2" main stems. Tomatos are something. I have not planted any for three years and get 100# or so off a four by four area, but I do water and fertilize, the tomatos volunteer as long and you throw the ones you do not eat in the patch. You would think the ground would burn out. We only ate 50# so, I felt guilty wasting them even though they were free other than $2.00 of Miracle Grow.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.