Sun, Sep 22, 1:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: how to create hoodoos in bryce??

king274 ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 6:30 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 1:34 AM

Hi all: I am new to bryce, and would like to know how to create hoodoos in bryce 5?? I know it sounds stupid, but I really don't know how 2 do that, somebody please help me~~ thanks~ btw, just brought the real world bryce 4, follow the instructions, still can't find a clue..... king274

ttops ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 8:23 AM

what is a hoodoo?

Aldaron ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 9:21 AM

If you have real world bryce then anything someone would post here is just a repeat of what is in the book, there's a tutorial on how to do it in the book. What are you having problems with?

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 9:36 AM

I'm sorry, but I have got no idea what a hoodoo is. If you can show me what a hoodoo looks like I might be able to help you out.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

airflamesred ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 9:40 AM

the funny looking things in the real bryce canyon in utah - front cover of the book

Ang25 ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 10:52 AM

file_35613.jpg

my first hoodoo, who would've thought at 40 I learned two new things in two days. Never heard of a hoodoo or a Manga eye before. :-D this was my first try, nothing special but I'm sure some screen shots would be helpful. took me a while to find the right settings. Well I gotta run and I'm terrible with doing screen shots so I'll leave that up to someone else to do. Ang

Darkginger ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 11:20 AM

Even with the pic above, I'm still at a loss as to what a hoodoo is! And Ang - got ya beat by 3 years! Someone tell an old-timer (shall I get my zimmer frame?) what a manga eye is too, please....

king274 ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 11:25 AM

my problem is that I need to know how to do it step by step, 'cause I wanna make the same hoodoo just like figure 8.20. unfortunately, can't find the "HOODOO HOWDUNNIT" (page 357) folder on the CD, so I came here ask for help..... king274

deadman67 ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 11:35 AM

i think i just ate a hoodoo

cybrbeast ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 11:57 AM

WTH is a Hoodoo. King since you want to know how to make one it might be polite to explain what a Hoodoo is...

FWTempest ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 12:01 PM

Main Entry: [1]hoodoo Pronunciation: 'h(")dFunction: noun Inflected Form(s): plural hoodoos Etymology: of African origin; akin to Hausa hu3'du3'ba1 to arouse resentment Date: 1875 1 : a body of practices of sympathetic magic traditional especially among blacks in the southern U.S. 2 : a natural column of rock in western No. America often in fantastic form 3 : something that brings bad luck - hoodooism /-"i-z&m/ noun 2001 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated Merriam-Webster Privacy Policy I assume we're talking about def. #2 here.

king274 ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 1:03 PM

Quote - WTH is a Hoodoo. King since you want to know how to make one it might be polite to explain what a Hoodoo is...

hi cyberbeat: I am sorry, although I would like to, I am not good at english...hope u could understand that(cause I don't know how to describe it)...frankly, I just copy the word from the book and type it in this forum thanks 2 FWTempest help me out, thanks~~ and could somebody please send me the "HOODOO HOWDUNNIT", please. and thank you for your kindly help~~ king274

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 1:12 PM

A collumn of rock is best made using a symettrical lattice. Using greyscale to height-mapping in the terrain editor to create the shape. As for making a texture like the one on Ang25's hoodoo you can look at a few of the preset textures from planes&terrains and rocks&stones in the texture library. I can't give you any screenshot's rightnow, because I'm not on my bryce-station. I hope this answers your question (or at least part of it).

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 1:13 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=107&Form.ShowMessage=995460

And for the What's a manga eye. Chec this thread: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=107&Form.ShowMessage=995460

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

king274 ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 1:29 PM

thanks, Rayraz it helps~~~ :)

Darkginger ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 1:33 PM

Today, I have been educated. Thank you all so much. :)) I shall spend the rest of the evening making hoodoos with manga eyes peering out from them. Life gets very exciting in rural Ireland at times. :))

Ang25 ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 1:58 PM

I used a symlat instead of a terrain and went into the filters option next to the elevation option. I used one of those pics there and then used the arrow next to it to get the add horizontal and add vertical. I played around with these a lot until I got something ok. And I just used a preset terrain material because I had no time to do more. I am currently stuck at the library waiting for a ride home. Its snowing out quite miserably. My meeting got canceled but luckily the library is right across the street. Can't wait to get home and play on bryce some more. (Ithaca, NY) in case anyone cares to know where its snowing right now, :-D Ang

Aldaron ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 1:58 PM

Well the textures are in .brt file format on the CD in the goodies/preset libraries. As for the tutorial they seem to have forgotten to put it on the CD. Basically it deals with using the filters in the terrain editor. I don't have time now but maybe I'll do a step by step later.

Ang25 ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 6:18 PM

file_35614.jpg

I've been playing around and seem to keep coming up with the same problem. I get an edge I just can't seem to clean up. I've tryed clipping and erasing etc. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? It's (of course) not on the side I want to stick in the ground. :( Thanks, Ang

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 7:31 PM

I'm rendering right now, lol. I'll get back to this in a few, yeah it can be done in the Bryce terrain editor with plugins. AgentSmith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 7:34 PM

And, YES the sequence/folder is NOT on the Real World Bryce CD...always wondered about that.

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 8:13 PM

Ang, download the bryce path from corel, it fixes that problem.

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 8:14 PM

oops...patch

Aldaron ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 8:16 PM

file_35615.jpg

Finished the tutorial. It just needs to be apporved then it'll be in the tutorial section, which appears this will be the first Bryce tutorial in the new setup. BTW it can be done all in the terrain editor.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 8:51 PM

Cool, thanks Aldaron!!

Tankgirl ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 1:35 AM

2Cool, thanks Aldaron!

lindans ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 3:41 AM

Well I guess hoodoos are going to be ALL the rage!!!!!

Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face. I am a traveler of both time and space ....Kashmir, Led Zeppelin

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 5:17 AM

Lol...who knew Bryce could do them?

king274 ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 6:02 AM

wow~~~ thank you all for your replies.. thanks~` :) and Aldaron, thank you so much for your tutorial will d/l the patch to fix that problem... thanks, guys :) oh~~ god, I love this place king274 btw, Ive already sent a request letter to peachpit asking for the sequence, wish them could reply soon

king274 ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 6:06 AM

file_35616.jpg

and I have another question to ask for your help as u can see, this map could be done easily in terrain editor, but can't keep wondering how to do it in ps6 to simulate the erosion effect....?? or should I use some kind of plug-ins?? thanks~~ king274

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 6:10 AM

I would think some sort of plug-in would be the simplest. I haven't made terrains like that in photoshop. Just mechanical parts, etc.

king274 ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 6:13 AM

hi AgentSmith: thank you for the instant reply and could you please give me a hint about the plug-in??thanks and merry christmas :)

Ang25 ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 7:50 AM

I've got another possibility for what caused that problem but am not at the computer to test it. I was reading more in the susan kitchens book and there was this part about using the clipping thing to only make changes to part of the terrain, well its possible I didn't have the whole image when I was trying to erase. So I'm gonna test it again maybe tonight. These hoodoos are fun once you get the hang of them. Ang

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 9:09 AM

Oh, I have no idea what kind of plugin, obiously something that would make a fractal pattern, is the only thing that comes to mind. But, I don't know of anything specific, sorry.

comet166 ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 7:52 PM

Attached Link: http://www.thecomputermechanics.com/photopost/data/505/7475hodo_lake.jpg

Is this the effect you are looking for?

king274 ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2002 at 5:45 AM

AgentSmith : okay..anyway, thank you for your reply Hi comet166: could u please post the original displace map for me?? thanks~~ :) Ang25: it seems that susan kitchens didn't use Bryce 5 to create hoodoos, neither install the patch.. so I guess there must be some way can erase the edge.. and if u also brought the real world bryce 4, maybe u could write peachpit a letter for help about the missing files, 'cause till now, they still not reply my request..

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2002 at 6:03 AM

Erase the edges?...that's easy. Look at the picture on page 332 of Real World Bryce to locate the "Clipping Bracket". Then go to page 360, where it will tell you how to use it to help erase edges, etc. AgentSmith

king274 ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2002 at 5:07 PM

guys: just got the reply from the peachpit, hoodoo howdunnit included so if u need this, send me a message and will send it to u by email also. maybe u will ask "why not upload it to a website ?", well, 'cause I don't run a website myself, so if somebody could offer the room for this, it would be very nice... for file request/offer web space please email me e0806449@hotmail.com also, sorry for my terrible english..:) king274

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2002 at 6:04 PM

agentsmith@attbi.com

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2002 at 6:05 PM

I'll see about getting it hosted. AgentSmith

Aldaron ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2002 at 10:20 PM

Well my tutorial is now active but if king got the actual one that was supposed to be on the CD it was somewhat a waste of time. But it was good practice. :)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2002 at 11:44 PM

Maybe not, we may not be able to directly host that file for download.

bikermouse ( ) posted Sat, 14 December 2002 at 1:38 AM

Aldaron, Not a waste - I just DL'd the printer friendly version, and the quick scan of it looks pretty good - I will read it later this morning or Sunday. - Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, - TJ

king274 ( ) posted Sat, 14 December 2002 at 6:26 AM

Hi AgentSmith: sorry for reply late, and now I am sending the hoodoo howdunnit to you, thank you for your help~~ thanks~~ :) Hi Aldaron :

Quote - Well my tutorial is now active but if king got the actual one that was supposed to be on the CD it was somewhat a waste of time.

don't said so please, I am so glad that u write a tutorial for everyone, and could u give me the linkage of your tutorial, please?? ('cause I wanna learn more about hoodoo :)) king274

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 14 December 2002 at 6:59 AM

Thanks for the file king! AgentSmith

bikermouse ( ) posted Sat, 14 December 2002 at 7:06 AM

file_35617.jpg

Aldaron, again thanks my first attempt - the artwork is lousy but I got the concept from the tut. very easy to understand.

king,
In case Aldaron's not on line,
Aldaron's Tutorial is at the top of renderosity page in the tutorials setion here at renderosity. you should be able to scroll up to it from here.(4th white dot down on the left and click on the word tutorials. when the new page opens scroll down and you should see the link to it. )

I would suggest that when you get to the end where Aldaron
says to use a minimum brush and minimum elevation that you
experiment with different settings - I tried to draw a sort of a face there - failed, but I'll keep trying!

Thanks again Aldaron,

• TJ

Aldaron ( ) posted Sat, 14 December 2002 at 1:57 PM

Ahhh... Easter Island faces. Not bad for the first try. Thanks for all the encouragment, glad it wasn't wasted :) BTW it took me sevral tries to get the hoodoo above, so pratice practice practice. :) Getting used to using the terrain editor takes time. The reason I said use minimums was so you could get smooth transitions instead of flat cutoffs. You can always hold the brush in place longer to get more effect but it's very hard to correct if you use too much.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 12:40 AM

Hey cool tutorial Alderon... Now all I need are 3D models of Wiley Coyote and the Road Runner... Heh... Well, one could hope to find those I guess. Something like that would be cool to have in a badlands type landscape. Hmmm...

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 12:50 AM

try
here
for a roadrunner - Scott Ayers also does good low res dinosaurs.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.