Fri, Sep 20, 6:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: a question of scale...

rodzilla ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2003 at 4:11 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:32 AM

i've been working on some props and things in 3dsmax...while modeling real world objects i like to work in real world measurements...now i know poser doesn't,but can anyone tell me what percentage poser does work in?was there ever an answer to this? ie; if i make something say one meter or one foot or one "whatever" big...what percentage of that,do i need to scale or export my model at to maintain it's proper size in the "poser uninverse"?sorry if this has been asked and answered before,i did a quick search of the forum and didn't come up with anything relevant

steveshanks ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2003 at 4:23 PM

I don't know if this will help you but what i do is import a poser figure and then scale to 1000 and use that to work around (working on the guy being six feet, you could create a ruler from him)), then when i'm done i group everything, make sure the axis is at zero on all axis's and scale by .001, then after you export you can import to poser knowing the scale and position is correct......Steve

BeatYourSoul ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2003 at 4:24 PM

IIRC, Poser figures are limited to the range 0.0 to 1.0, so a 6 foot Don or M2 would be 1.0 unit tall. Very small numbers and painful when used in 3D applications that have unit assignments. So, 1 foot would be 1/6 or 0.166666..., 1 meter is 3.281 /6 or 0.5468 (1 meter = 3.281 ft). Of course, this is assuming that Don or M2 are 6 ft tall. Not an exact science by any measure.

quixote ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2003 at 4:26 PM

Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hazard
S Mallarmé

rodzilla ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2003 at 5:08 PM

thank you Quixote...as soon as i saw the post i remembered dr geep's measurement props and dl'ed his 9foot scale...so assuming that it's reasonably acccurate...i played for a minute in max with it,i haven't tested this out with any other props or imported or exported anything from poser using these settings but for future reference.... importing the 9 foot scale prop using the habware obj plugin with the vertex scale set to 1...the 9 foot prop comes in at 3'6.52" according to max's own built in measurement utility....so to scale it up to a true 9 feet in max you need to uniform scale it by 254%,this results in the poser universe being 39.37%[actually 39.3700787]of the real thing....as i said all measurements were taken using max's built in measurement utility to give a readout of the prop's size in all three dimensions,with max set to read in feet and inches...the numbers work in max allthough they seem a little "off" from what i expected and i still need to test this with poser itself...but i really have no reason to expect it to be wrong either....thanx again

rodzilla ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2003 at 10:20 PM

just a note of possible interest to anyone who cares and is following this thread...the numbers i quoted in my last post do appear to work...allthough i think it's probably just as easy to scale whatever you need to import into poser down to an even 40% of it's true size and call it a day and close enuff...another interesting point...if that size still seems off somehow in poser...note that while posette measures up at about 5'10 on dr.Geeps scale...slightly tall but not unreasonble for a gal,V3 on the other hand is about 6'2"! certainly not impossible,but definately above average height for a woman...maybe that's why she always seems so long and lanky in the arms and legs...she really is a very big girl!

Grey_cat ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2003 at 11:03 PM

Poser scale is 1/8" = 12". scale down to 1/96 of original size.

rodzilla ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2003 at 11:13 PM

care to elaborate a bit Grey cat???how do you figure?i don't want to start an arguement but according to everything i've done today that just makes no sense at all,can you tell me how you came to that conclusion?

rodzilla ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2003 at 11:31 PM

OK upon furthur investigation this seems to hinge upon the "system scale" i use in max...which in my case is left at the defualt of 1 unit = 1 meter, if i mess with that i can fudge the results in various ways since max has various ways to set the scale globally and locally,so possibly my version only apply's to my setting which is as i stated 1 unit = 1 meter with the "auto unit conversion" checked as far as i know these are the defualt settings within 3dsmax but may not acuurately reflect "reality" whatever the heck that really is! it works for me at any rate!

BeatYourSoul ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 1:04 AM

Well, here's an odd one. I have a model with several parts exported as separate .obj files. I model in 'm' (meters) units for real 'mm' in C4D, for convenience. So, each .obj file was imported at 1/10 scale (don't ask why 1/10 worked when it shoulda been 1/1000) to be proportional to the Poser figures. Well, ain't that a kicker! Each part imported (with 10.000 set for the import scale) different sizes wrt each other. Believe me, they are exactly fitting pieces exported without any changes to scale - importing back into C4D properly. Poser is doing some sort of calculation during import, and not one that's conducive to scale-contiguity. No wonder you need DGUs to measure once you've imported.

quixote ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 1:28 AM

No idea why it's that way. Scaling should not change the polys. In Poser, unless I'm very wrong, scaling is a relative value to the Poser universe. Perhaps it doesn't return to it's relative presets after each import. If you imported in pieces, rebooting the app. after each import we might get an answer. I had a strange one not long ago. I imported the same piece twice in the same scene and they were different size relative to each other. Rebooted. Tried again and it worked ok. I thought, wow! I must have made some mistake in importing. But I guess, what's happening is, instead on scaling the object itself, it's the P universe that changes in relation to the object. The object remains the same.

S Mallarmé

jobcontrol ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 1:10 PM

Only for the records: did you uncheck the "percent of standard figure size"-box when importing meshes? Willy

BeatYourSoul ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 2:42 PM

Nope. Didn't realize that it was for its relation to "standard FIGURE size" and not its own scaling size. Hey, I just wanted to test this scaling issue as I don't usually import into Poser, I export to C4D and LW. :) For the record, they all imported properly with that box unchecked and scaled properly when their scale was set to 0.1% (which is correct - 1/1000 m = 1 mm).

quixote ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 10:09 PM

I was obviously wrong about the P universe. My apologies. Q

S Mallarmé

jobcontrol ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 11:45 PM

:-) Willy

jobcontrol ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 11:50 PM

Once I made a piercing ring in trueSpace. Imagine my face when I imported the tiny ringlet into poser with the said box checked! ;-) Willy

quixote ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 11:57 PM

I once built 6 sets in Poser all scaled to 10% of their size, with, I thought their own spot lighting. I thought I could travel from one set to the other, do quick renders and be off. I got sooo lost in the dark. It affected my brain. :)

S Mallarmé

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.