Tue, Oct 1, 9:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: FOUNDATION

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 12:23 AM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 9:30 PM

file_45784.jpg

Inspired by Isaac Asimov.

My website

YouTube Channel

tjohn ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 5:31 AM

Cool.

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

catlin_mc ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 5:48 AM

Great construction. :)

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 9:00 AM

Actually, the Foundation was on Terminus; the 2nd Foundation was on Trantor..;) s'ok, did a pic like this about Trantor once. Great design. Actually, Trantor in it's heyday is got to be related to Coruscant in Star Wars, the city that was a planet.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 9:07 AM

Thanks Guys i used imported models I created Cinema4DXl Pakled, Now that we have the effects technology to Do justice to Lord of the rings,etc. Do you think we might see any Asimov Classics on the big Screen???........{ Dreaming!!}

My website

YouTube Channel

tjohn ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 10:31 AM

There has been discussion for years of bringing Asimov's "I, ROBOT" or any of the rest of that series to the screen, but nothing has resulted that I'm aware of. Asimov is probably too cerebral for Hollywood. His work tends to be about story and character development, not chases and things blowing up (I like chases and things blowing up as much as the next guy, but I like Asimov's style of story telling as well).

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

lsstrout ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 12:23 PM

From www.scifi.com: 9:00am ET, 4-December-02 Smith Tops I, Robot Will Smith has signed on to star in I, Robot, a big-screen, big-budget adaptation of Isaac Asimov's classic SF short-story collection, according to Variety. The trade paper reported that Alex Proyas (The Crow and Dark City) will helm the production, which is slated to get underway in April 2003. Smith will star in the futuristic thriller as a detective on the case of a crime possibly committed by a robot, despite the fact that robots must follow strict rules of behavior. "The big idea here is that if the robots have found a way to violate the laws, there is nothing to stop them from taking over, even though that seems an impossibility given those three prevailing rules," Hutch Parker, president of 20th Century Fox's film division, told the trade paper. Parker added that Smith, star of such SF hits as Independence Day and the Men in Black films, makes for perfect casting. "Putting him in a film with a visualist like Proyas and one of the most indelible pre-awareness titles in SF makes this well worth the five or so years we've invested in the project." This makes my brain curl up in fear. Lin

catlin_mc ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 1:30 PM

Oh I don't know Lin, Will Smith has been trying to get away from comedy and into serious character acting so he might not be the death of the film. Alex Proyas did a great job on the two films mentioned, especially Dark City so he might not be such a bad choice for taking control. Just my opinion. Catlin

lsstrout ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 3:02 PM

I don't have a problem with Will Smith, and I liked the two films mentioned, but it doesn't look like they are going to stay very close to the I, Robot stories. I, Robot features scientists, field technicians and ordinary people. Not detectives. Also, the stories span about 75 years worth of robots, from the first non-speaking robots (featured as a companion to a child) to huge machines that calculate vast amounts of world-wide data in order to make sure people everywhere have enough work, food and resources. The stories are all threaded together by a 'robopsychologist' who has lived through all the different phases of robotics. The stories are great because they show not only how robots evolved, but how the population in general evolved with them. There is also a lot of logic regarding the three laws. I'm not saying it won't be a good movie, just that it won't really have the flavor of the stories. That's what I'm afraid will get lost. Lin

catlin_mc ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 3:26 PM

I haven't actually read the stories so I guess I should not comment. I'm more into Arthur C Clark's stories like the Rama books, but you have stirred my interest and I'm going to start reading as soon as I find I, Robot. Thanks for pointing me in a new reading direction. Catlin

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 5:45 PM

I've got all the Asimov I could find as a kid, read Foundation and I Robot (even have a hardback..;). My memory may be failing me, but I seem to remember a Twilight Zone (the B&W one) with, of all people, both William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy in one of the Robot short stories. Bicentennial Man is actually one of Asimovs' that was made into a movie, as well as Fantastic Voyage (sci-fi channel looks like they're making an 'original' copy of it soon..;) I don't know if they could do the Foundation series as a movie, it's 3 main books, plus all the 'killer-B's' addons, prequels, etc. Lucas did borrow Coruscant from Trantor, the similarities are just too close..;) The original was based on the fall of the Roman empire, and covers centuries..
Will Smith? I Robot? there were a few short stories where the robots did get around the 3 laws, but they were usually toasted mentally afterwards..and what was I talking about? This is the Bryce Forum, right?..;) I've got most of the earlier Clarke as well, up until he started doing the tag-team bit with other authors..;) now Rama.., could be a green-light with that..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.