Fri, Sep 20, 10:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Hello, fellow hobbyists!!!

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 10:45 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:40 AM

Take a look...there's a new category. For those of us who are not beginners, but not artists; for those of us who are here to have fun and play with multiple software just to have a good time, Renderosity has added a HOBBYISTS category in amongst the software for the galleries. I hope people use it. I'm moving all my graphics in that category when I have a chance. Hope some of the rest of you feel like joining me. :)

c1rcle ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 10:53 AM

I reckon I'll see about moving my stuff over to join yours :)

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 10:58 AM

Cool. :)

c1rcle ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:01 AM

Actually, Having looked at the hoops we have to jump through to move things (nightmare) I'll be leaving my existing pictures where they are but from now on anything I post will be in the hobbyist gallery. I'll be joining you very soon fellow Hobbyist :)

AKA1 ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:04 AM

so where exactlly is this Hobbyist,, i've onlly seen it mention once/twice.. and not finding it now.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:07 AM

It's new. When you upload your graphic, you can choose to put it in a Gallery (software defined, beginner, or - now - hobbyist) and/or in a Genre (they are still refining those). You can also choose to view using the drop down. It is a pain to change the galleries but I'm going to do it a little at a time. I know I never belonged in the Poser artist gallery but I also felt I had progressed beyond Beginner. This perfectly fits my comfort zone.

nikitacreed ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:08 AM

Cool!! I will post there too when I post.....if I ever get to render again. ROFL!

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:17 AM

I certainly hope you get to render again...you do such beautiful graphics. I use your textures all the time.

nikitacreed ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:20 AM

bright red blush Thank you dialyn!

c1rcle ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:21 AM

me too niki, it's been too long since we had something nice of yours to look at in the galleries.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:24 AM

c1cle, I howled at your "scariest scene" graphic...so true!!! I have been off and on trying to write....it's the scariest part of writing too!!!

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:25 AM

Yup, that's where I belong :) see you there with my next image.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:26 AM

:D

c1rcle ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:26 AM

I hit a creative block, so I thought the scariest thing to come to an "artists" mind is nothing ;)

nikitacreed ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:27 AM

Okay...I'm gonna stay bright red now Rob. LOL! dialyn - I don't see why you think you wouldn't belong in the artist section. LOL! I just perused your gallery and liked it alot!!

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:35 AM

I would say the same for everyone who has posted in this thread. But, the fact is, it has to do with comfort zone. I never felt comfortable in the Poser gallery. Hobbyist describes me perfectly. You have no idea how liberating this is for me. Now I don't have to think about "well, is this artistic enough? Technically advanced enough?" all I ever wanted to do was enjoy my hobby and maybe share a graphic or two, and enjoy what other people have done. That's all. For some reason, this is like sun shining through the skies. I just feel warmed up and encouraged to go back to working on a couple of graphics that I've had kicking around in the back of my mind. I almost pulled my gallery yesterday. This makes all the difference. As they say, what a difference a day makes. :) Happy. Oh, yes, I'm happy.

nikitacreed ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:40 AM

all I ever wanted to do was enjoy my hobby and maybe share a graphic or two, and enjoy what other people have done. I feel exactly the same way dialyn! I started this as a hobby and I refuse to make my actual ARTWORK anything more than that. LOL! If I did....it wouldn't be fun anymore.

Desdemmonna ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:42 AM

Oh...this is wicked cool. I think I've gotten past beginner stage...but don't feel comfortable posting in the normal Poser forum.

rockets ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:52 AM

Hey kewl! Btw dialyn, I just voted for your friends image. :-)

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:55 AM

Well, thank you. :) That's very kind of you. I think this will be a good category for a lot of us. I'm still trying to figure out how to fit some of my graphics into genres. Some of mine are "huh?"

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:00 PM

dialyn, I would say you definately are not a beginner and your work is outstanding, but I do know how you feel, I will also be joining you...we will all make one wicked gallery. Sharen :-)

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:02 PM

Awesome. It's shaping up to be a group we can be proud to be part of. :)

compiler ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:02 PM

Glad to see that the sun is shining for you dialyn. Sometimes happiness is just a good idea away... Compiler

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:05 PM

And it was a very good idea, Compiler. You done good.

ockham ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:16 PM

Odd, isn't it? But it's true in the real world as well. Beyond the visual arts, the situation is the same in formal or classical music, and in literature. The elites, who claim the title of Artist, have slipped so deeply into incestuous avant-garde peculiarities, that people who actually produce good art must find some other name to describe what they do.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:19 PM

This also eliminates the incessant whine about how Poser artists aren't artists.. and all the other inuendos that go with that mentality... Now I can put my not so artistic renders, that I truly enjoy messing with, somewhere appropriate and not expect anything much from showing it there... If one falls out by mistake that has that certain "artistic" quality that the fundamentalists and prudes demand, I can move it :) It is somewhat of a release having this new gallery option, isn't it??? I've never felt very "artistic", but truly enjoy doing what I do.

Gazukull ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:30 PM

SWEET! I now have a new home. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - Gazzy!

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:31 PM

Honestly the "art" label was becoming a chain that kept some of us from feeling like we could really participate. "Release" is exactly what I'm feeling, Dave-So. I don't think anything will eliminate the whining (have you noticed some people just like to complain--and sometimes I'm one of them) but at least some of us can feel like we can post without the guilt factor. My bet would be that we see some very cool graphics in the hobbyist's gallery that would have never been posted in the other gallery for fear of not being artistic enough. Liberating indeed. And fun. Really important to have some fun with all this. Otherwise, what is the point?

SWAMP ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:31 PM

dialyn,Thanks so much for the info. I've never posted to the gallery,but I see this as a good chance to start doing so. Not sure who came up with this idea,but a big Thanks to him or her...this should pump new blood into our viewing/posting pleasure. SWAMP

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:37 PM

Compiler posted the idea on the Community Ideas forum. It has floated around before but this was first time it was acted on. I am hoping that it encourages a lot of people to post when before they felt as if maybe they shouldn't. It's a good thing. I'm looking forward to seeing how it shapes up. :)

compiler ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:47 PM

"incestuous avant-garde peculiarities" Ah, thanks Ockham for this wonderful description. You lit up my evening ! Compiler

pigfish ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 1:02 PM

As long as I'm going in to add all the new genre's to my current pics, I'll move mine to the hobbyist page, too. I still think it would have involved a lot less file movement if we had a "Poser Fine Art" category to distinguish the true art from what the rest of us are creating. I think it would be great if those of use perusing the hobbyist category who find an artistic gem would encourage that artist to repost in the Poser category.

Jenai21 ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 1:03 PM

Wow, this is great I will be moving my images from Poser. There are so many talented artist there and I only started 2 months ago but I don't feel like I'm a beginner. A smaller gallery for hobbyist will be great because you have a better chance of getting constructive critism and comments that we all need to improve. Can't wait to view the all of your work... Jenn

thgeisel ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 2:59 PM

seems the new gallerie is getting more interesting and versatile than the poser gallerie!!

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 3:10 PM

Wow, before lunch there were 18 graphics up and now there are over 40, and many of them I've not seen before. At least this shows there is some interest in this category. :) And, yes, I think many of them would qualify as artistic. Very nice to see.

DrummerDude ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 3:22 PM

This is a cool gallery to have, you see people with a range of talent and styles.

pigfish ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 3:24 PM

I've moved all my pics over to the new category and assigned a genre to each. Since I don't even understand what all the genre tags mean, please let me know if I've put something in an inappropriate place. Thanks!

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 3:27 PM

It's kind of a guessing game for some of the genres, isn't it? I haven't even tried to do that. I need a genre that has a question mark for graphics I can't figure out.

TheWanderer ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 4:06 PM

Hi Hey I don't want to start a riot but I personally think that all of the galleries should be renamed hobbyist! Ok Ok let me explain...... well we come here to have fun right, if your type of fun is saying that i'm an artist then so be it get on with it... but as has been said so many times what one person sees as a work of art another sees as a hobbyists dabble. Heck call me a philistine(sp) but I can go into a gallery (reallity not virtual) and see 'pictures' by some of the 'old masters' or even 'modern'contempory art and well to be honest 98% of it I wouldn't give the time of day to!..... except and this is a big except for the realisation that no matter who did it or what it is someone put a lot of his/her time, effort and spirit/soul in to it..... My point is I actualy think that this will lead to a lot more elitism and I actualy think that a lot of peoples work will be missed by assigning genres, I mean that if a person goes looking for fantasy only he/she might miss an image in a persons gallery which may be of interest or use. just my 2 penneth Dave

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 4:12 PM

I don't see the Hobbyist category as being Poser only. And, yes, there is a danger people won't cruise outside of one gallery. It's hard to know what the perfect solution would be. Some people never look in the galleries at all. Some people focus on the Hot 20 kind of stuff. Other people just post their own art and never look at anyone else's galleries. But that's human nature and we aren't going to change that. I think this is an opportunity for people who felt uncomfortable with the whole artist versus non-artist argument that seems to be an ongoing theme to find a place where they don't have to feel intimidated by those labels, where they can explore and have fun and feel like they are with other people who share a common interest in enjoying and learning. The beginner and work in progress galleries are also available. No one has to post in one gallery all the time. And it never hurts to post on the forum of your choice if you find something that knocks your socks off in another gallery. This should be about learning from each other...not being territorial. It's not us versus them (or should be...it's just a way of reshuffling the deck so people can feel comfortable about posting. Just my opinion.

Poppi ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 7:45 PM

so far, i think i'm gonna LOVE this. (although, the genres are a bit confusing.)

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 7:51 PM

Yeah, the genres are confusing. I'm still confused about Environmental and Household. I'm not sure why Medievel is a separate category from Historical (though perhaps deemarie will be able to explain it and there's no doubt a good reason why it needs to be broken out). But at least it is a start. I'm for anything that helps people feel happier about being in the galleries and not getting so lost in the posting avalanche. And where the heck do I put Lil Lost Bot? He's not science fiction, a child, or particular humorous. I'm lost at my first graphic. :(

pendarian ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 12:18 AM

Well, I think according to the new system anyway, it would SciFi...dialyn, something like that would actually be considered SciFi at a SciFi/Fantasy convention, because the subject is a robot with humanoid tendancies, which would make him more of an andriod which would be science fiction. Have I confused you even more now? LOL!!! Pendy

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 4:15 AM

AAAAARGH.... Reading thru the posts I came to the one about the genres. So I assigned a genre to each of my (currently) 64 gallery images. Only to find out that I could/should have moved them to this new gallery instead o_0 Well, I'm NOT. I like the idea of this new gallery and I'll be using it in the future, but I will NOT spend another hour assigning all my pics to a new gallery L Just so you know why ;o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 6:57 AM

I know what you mean, ernyoka1. Frankly, the whole moving thing for me seems very slow. And I'm having a heck of a time figuring out genres. I'm tempted to move to the new gallery and leave genre sorting for another day. It's time to clear out my gallery anyway. I know some of my early stuff is terrible...there's no point in keeping it just because I'm sentimental. But this will wait for another day. I'm kind of tired of sorting at the moment.

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 7:44 AM

We need a category titled "from here to there" :) Meaning: look at your early images, then look at your latest...see the difference ???? Its pretty revealing, I think.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 8:03 AM

Nikitacreed: I agree, your textures are the BOMB! :o). Desdemonna: Are you kidding? Your artwork is awesome! I think my artwork (if you can call it that...LOL) would be better served in the hobbyist category too. Just too dang lazy to transfer all my stuff over. Guess I'll put the new ones there tho ;o). Laurie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.