Sat, Oct 5, 9:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:08 am)

Subject: How can I flip a Hair cr2 around?

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2003 at 2:18 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 9:24 AM

A great deal of the time, hair models that would otherwise suit my needs perfectly are wrong to me in one way: The part is on the wrong side. Recently, I've learned how to bring in an obj and mirror it. If the Hair was just an Hr2 then I'd be okay with just this. However, with a Cr2 type model, I realize that some of the information would need to be reassigned. I'm guessing that it would be a matter of making all notations that refer to the X axis the opposite negative or positive. Also, any Morph targets would have to be exported, mirrored, then loaded back into the new model. This is easy and not a problem at all. How do I rearrange the Cr2 and what exactly would have to be rearranged? Would it be way too time consuming? Any help appreciated. -WTB

bloodsong ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2003 at 8:34 AM

heyas; DONT TOUCH THE CR2! :) okay, you have hair. you load the obj into your modeller, and flip it. now, take the original cr2 and point it at your flipped hair, and it will work fine. now, the MORPHS won't work, so take those out. if you can export those and mirror those and put them back on, more power to you! but that is what you'll have to do. (note: that might work better if you export the object from poser to use as the base to flip, intead of the real base. but transferring morphs is an adventure you'll have to have for yourself ;) ) all the cr2 does (besides store the morphs) is tell the thing where to bend. even if you flip the geometry, it will still bend in the same spots.

PabloS ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2003 at 9:19 AM

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2003 at 1:29 PM

bloodsong, I tried it that way, without modifying the CR2...but nothing would show up. It claimed to have a figure there to work with, but nothing there. -WTB

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2003 at 2:27 PM

I'd just use the hair and flip the render in Photoshop, myself. As long as there isn't thing to show it is mirrored, like text, this should be fine.

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2003 at 2:54 PM

Jim, that's one solution, but not preferable to me. Some of my textures have features on one side but not the other...moles, tattoos, etc and they are where they have to be already. Surely there must be away to make it happen. So far, most of the hairs where I need to modify them are fine as Hr2s...seldom a need for conforming hair IMO. -WTB

bloodsong ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2003 at 6:02 PM

heyas; the cr2 is working, but there's something up with the geometry, if that's what happens. you're sure you didnt MOVE or SIZE the hair when you flipped it (or when you imported/exported it to your modeller), right? you have all the group names still intact, right? all the same as they were before? you didnt end up with groups as materials and materials as groups or weird spaces or punctuation or strange capitalization in your groups? if you really wanted, you could import the flipped obj and make it an hr2.

AprilYSH ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2003 at 8:30 PM

yeah, what bloodsong said above, when you mirrored, did your new obj still have groupings? just do the hr2 thing ;) import the new obj, place it on the figure's head, save in hair folder, make your own morphs. depends on how complex the original hair model was i guess...

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

oidupaa ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2003 at 12:45 AM

I'm joining this one in the middle, but I've been wondering about this too. I guess my question is even more basic: how do you mirror the hair obj? Does it have to be in a program other than Poser and then imported? Or is there a way to do the flip right in Poser? And yes, WTB, in case you're wondering, this does have something to do with my Indiana Jones figure I talked to you about in an earlier thread, but I've been wondering about it in general too...;-) -Mike

Jim Burton ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2003 at 7:38 PM

file_51331.jpg

Max has a mirror tool, in fact when I was making Glamorous Vickie I pretty much mirrored all the morphs in it for the other side parts, they all worked except for the collars, which had to be done in Morph Mirror. My hair (all of it, both the prop hair and the figure hair) is made in one group, is other hair multi-group? You know something- just for Ha Ha's, I mirrored the Las Vegas Hair OBJ file and used it as a morph target. Guess what, it worked! The hair is inside-out but renders O.K., I could have probablty fixed the inside-out part, too. The morphs don't work right, as they are going the wrong way but the hair itself conforms fine. You would have to export out the morphs and mirror them to make new ones if you need 'em.

Kevschmev ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 10:05 AM

file_51332.jpg

HA HA IT WORKS! I too have been trying to figure this out and was doing the hr2 thing, but losing the morphs. Until I tried loading the flipped obj as a morph target and everything works fine, the morphs and mat files still work a treat. Using Koz's long hair that is, i'm not sure of others yet, Sanfran hair is one that I always wanted to flip, so i'm going to try that now. Cheers Kev.

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 5:34 PM

heyas; jim, the conforming/figure hair may have several groups to match the head/neck/chest, and especially if it has posable braids or tails. so yeah, they have groups :) oi: yes, you need a modeler to mirror an object. poser is not a modeler. now what are you guys doing? apply the flipped hair as a morph target to the original hair? hmmm. and the other morphs still work right? do the kozaburo 'right' and 'left' deals still go right and left, or do they go left and right now?

Jim Burton ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 5:53 PM

My hair has posable hair has groups, but they are all ghost groups, I figured it would be a lot easier to morph that way! Yep, just mirroed it and exported, used that as a morph target. I didn't use the normal Max fix for the inverted winding order when I tried it, though, which is why (I think) mine was inside-out (which doesn't effect renders). The morphs didn't work right when I tried them though, I think in and out and up and down would work O.K., but morphs that move to the side are now going the wrong way, and if they have an Z or X component you can't just turn the dial the other way. Anyway, we learned a new trick, we can include "mirror" morphs in stuff!

Photopium ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 6:57 PM

Hey, look what I started :) -WTB

bloodsong ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 5:40 PM

heyas; i think if you try to 'fix' or change the winding order, you'll end up with vertices out of order, and the morph will explode, anyway.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2003 at 10:40 PM

bloodsong- I just tried it, using the normal Max "mirror fix" this time, it was fine, not inside-out now.

bloodsong ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 4:26 PM

huh. well, go figure :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.