Fri, Sep 20, 3:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:20 pm)

Subject: xfrog leaves in poser - help !!!!!

roedertin ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 9:21 AM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:35 PM

dear all,

i have a problem with importing xfrog flower leaves (.obj)to poser that i hope one of you sweet people might have an answer to : all my flowers made in xfrog render just fine in poser, with textures where they should be and no holes or else. but BEFORE the render, i can hardly see any of them, meaning, from most directions, i can't see the leaves at all, as if they weren't there. only when i turn the whole thing upside down, so that i look at the leaves from backwards, am i able to see them. since they render completely, i wouldn't mind so much, but it's quite hard to pose a flower correctly if you don't see the petals. why could this be, and how can i fix it ? is it like the leaves which are made up of so called "areas" are made of single-sided polygons ? it's not like this with, let's say flower stems,they are made of tubes, and i can see them alright in poser before rendering. i also had a look at the stupid leaves in carrara, where they looked just fine and i could see them perfectly, but when i then exported the whole thing again from carrara, nothing had changed in poser. i also tried uvmapper with no success so far. what's the problem, and what can i do ????

CDI ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 9:26 AM

You answered your own question. The leaves are indeed single sided. Im not sure if theres a way to make them double sided in XFrog. You can import the OBJs into a modeling program, copy them in place and then flip the normals of the new copy. Then weld or join the two into a single object, or leave them as two objects for different mapping capability (top side bright red and bottom side green)

CDI ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 9:27 AM

As an addition: Carrara may be rendering the backfacing polys but poser wont. In carrara try my copy flip weld idea and see if that works for ya

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 9:55 AM

file_54043.jpg

Try fliping the normals when you import the object. If that does not work, get Objaction Twoface from the free stuff.

CDI ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 10:01 AM

Well flipping the normals isnt really gonna help. The object will still be visable only from one orientation. However the Twoface utility should work fine. Huh..never heard of it...Ill have to check it out. Thanks Les.

Tomsde ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 11:17 AM

On the X-Frog website I thought I saw a Poser import plug-in. Have you tried that? Perhaps it will bring the plants into Poser better if the plug-in works for whatever version of Poser you're using. I know I say it for P5, but I'm not sure about P4 or PP.

thgeisel ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 11:53 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12401&Form.ShowMessage=1150539

xfrog plants work well in poser, you only cant see the leaves cause xfrog uses transmaps for for the leaves.And the leaves only show up when renderd( same as transmapped hair) you can change it in poser by selecting the leaves, than go to "display" , "element style" and choose "cartoon". if you want to know more about xfrogplants in poser, follow the link or you can ask me

roedertin ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 12:29 PM

thanks so much everybody !!! i think i'll try the easy way first and get that objaction twoface or change the display style of the leaves.thegeisel, i'll have a look at your link also. love you all !

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.