Sun, Oct 6, 12:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: my lamp is on drugs!

MaxBeckett ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2003 at 7:29 AM ยท edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 2:54 PM

file_55561.jpg

Hi all, In a previous post I asked advice on lighting a lamp. I proceeded to take a look at Kixums lamp tutorial (thanks Kix) and attempted to follow the instructions on lighting the scene. Ive included the result here. As you can see there some wierd things happenning, and I cant quite figure out how these shadows are being formed. Any ideas? Thanks, Max

sfdex ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2003 at 11:26 AM

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that the size of the bulb light you've placed inside the lamp is larger than the lamp shade, so we're seeing the light hit the wall partially unobscured by the lampshade. Try reducing the scale of the bulb light and see if that helps....

pixelicious ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2003 at 1:50 PM

I thought it said in the Carrara manual that the size/scale of lights and cameras is irrelevant in the 3D environment. If you're using a point light, the light should eminate from a single point, i'm guessing the center of the the light. I may be wrong, because I'm also guessing, but I don't thing changing the scale will affect this any. -Scott

Kixum ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2003 at 2:27 PM

If you're using C2.0, make absolutely sure you patch it. There is a bug in C2.0 with soft shadows the patch addresses. If this doesn't fix it or you've already patched, let us know. Nice scene! -Kix

-Kix

MaxBeckett ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2003 at 7:52 AM

file_55562.jpg

Hey all, Okay. Just in case I did check the scale of the bulb. That seems not to be causing the problem. I am using a patched version of C2.The problem seems to be coming form the lamp shade. It dosnt appear to be casting a shadow (cast shadow i checked). As you can see in this render. I pivoted the lamp shade around to see how the shadow would change. I did uncheck cast shadow on the lamp shade hanger parts. Ill keep at it. Cheers, Max

Kixum ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2003 at 11:50 AM

Well if the shade isn't casting a shadow, I'd say something else next to the bulb is. -Kix

-Kix

sfdex ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2003 at 11:53 AM

Hmm.... I'm stumped. Next time I'm playing with Carrara I'll have to see if I can duplicate the problem. In the meantime, could you turn the shade itself into an anything glows object and just delete the point light? Just a thought as a workaround.

pem ( ) posted Sun, 11 May 2003 at 12:50 AM

How is your lampshade constructed? The shadow pattern looks like intersecting polygons. Two thoughts come to mind: is your object double-sided and are all your normals pointing the same way? How are you making the lampshade glow? Is it an anything glows light? In which case, maybe you need to change the standoff and minimum distance. I haven't seen Kixum's tutorial so I don't know how you built the scene.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.