Fri, Sep 20, 8:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 7:29 pm)

Subject: Do I dare????

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2003 at 10:12 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:40 PM

Mybe too early yet, but do I dare install SR3 ???

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2003 at 10:37 PM

I was planning to wait for reports from some of the other guinea p ... uh, early adopters, first, but I'll probably download and install it later tonight.

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2003 at 10:40 PM

worked fine for me on win2k.

dreamer728 ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2003 at 10:49 PM

it seems to be running smoothly so far... --knock on wood-- im using xp home p4 1.8 gHz 256 mb ram geforce video card

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2003 at 10:59 PM

file_57586.jpg

Well...I bit...... So far..all is well... I'm in the face room...just for an experiment, I rendered a Vic3 at 3000x3000 to see what happened... Loaded just the face---when I applied the face and texture, it asked if I wanted to keep 512x512 or 2048x2048 of the loaded texture...I kept the larger one...note the head and body are different color. Previously to this render, I kept 512x512---when I applied the face and tex, a box popped up asking If I wanted to mnathc the body color to the head...it did not come up at the higher resolution..I'll have to play with this a bit more

Momcat ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2003 at 11:38 PM

I keep getting an error on launch, and on loading pz3 files: Requested document size is too large, creating the next best thing...or something like that. I did not have these problems prior to installing SR3. Nothing else seems to be a problem so far.

lalverson ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 12:35 AM

ther load time they reported isn't correct. for a 1.4G ath with 1G memory it took 4 minutes to load. still checking it against done pz3 and seeing how it works with those.

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 1:11 AM

Vic3 in the face room? I don't think so. Same old problem that the head gets discombobulated from the neck and once you do go to the face room, kiss your texture good bye.

pdxjims ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 1:15 AM

Locked up twice so far in Firefly production rendering without ray trace on, 1 stinking light, 2 Mikes, a PW low poly scene, and some cloths. Low res textures on the Mikes, and nothing but P5 textures on the cloths. It rendered fine the first time in Firefly, then a P4 type render of the same scene, then back to Firefly after moving the light. Seems like the more renders you do, the more likely to crash and burn. So for me, no change. Still loads at the same speed, and I use factory defaults. Haven't tried the other stuff. Does anyone know what the chages were to the characters? Anything new?

lalverson ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 1:28 AM

still the same problems with textures P5 cannot find, entire system lock. But, cold boot fixes it. V3 injectors will lock up P5. V3 that are already injected and saved load OK, just have a good book ready while it does so. Pz3 set up in P4 and then loaded in 5 load a bit faster and can be manipulated a bit faster.

pdxjims ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 1:29 AM

Well, I just tried to go back into Poser and it locked up on the load. I had a game of solitair going. Closed solitair and tried again and it started. ...sigh...

pdxjims ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 1:39 AM

Tried to do hair collisions. Locked up on the Angelus hair from rDNA. It only has 250 strands.

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 1:58 AM

I have noticed, however, that my workspace is all out of whack when i go to factory state. The animation bar is always open when I load, the paramater dial is half way off the right side of the screen. I remember this before. Someone used a different screen resolution and saved that to the xml file or some such thing. Guess they did it again. Solitair didn't lock up but I did lose the game (can I blame my losing the game on P5?) Ok, seriously, there does appear to be a few 'irregularities' with the new SR.

queri ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 5:01 AM

The only thing-- ok two things--I care about aren't fixed, slow loading and hang up on texture find. I ain't loading it to find what else it makes wrong. How many months did they work on this? Emily

Momcat ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 5:35 AM

Subject line changed to draw attention from the folks who might want to know about these things. And umm, yeah; load time for me was just as hideous as before.

rune ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 5:41 AM

I`ve Installed sr3 no proplem so far xp pro edition amd xp 1,8 ghz geforcee4 video card 512 ddr ram started just fine under 1 minute "jippi"

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 7:26 AM

I think I am going to wait, don't have time to fix the problems if indeed there are more or different ones. Sharen

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 7:55 AM

Load times: I don't see much of a difference here...took 41 seconds with me AMD 1800+ (1.53ghz)..in fact, it seems slower... AHHH....its the second time....9seconds...so if you have a crash and need to reload..it doesn't take as much frustration to get it back... But it is slow the first time you ever start up I guess..the faster after that...but I didn't even restart my system...why would it be slow again, unless it flushed the cache at some point ?????

Lorraine ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 8:14 AM

I noticed that with all the patches the first few times I load poser it seems a bit slower but this one seems faster already, I did have seem to freeze up on a p5 hair from DNA, but it might have been looking and it just takes a long time, I wish there was some way to exit out of the looking for process...like hitting escape or something....that seems to be still an aggrivation...but overall it seems to work faster....I played a bit with Judy in the face room and it seems much better...I remain still very happy with p5

EsnRedshirt ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 8:37 AM

Haven't done the face room yet, or the walk designer. Tried some dynamic hair with collisions- didn't lock up, just ran -extremely- slowly... however, the hair actually worked, behaving like real hair instead of spraying out all over the place randomly every frame for an unusable animation. And I was able to cancel it without crashing out. I wouldn't sweat their load times- who knows what type of RAM they were using, PC components vary wildly. What's an extra 10 seconds going to do anyway? Overall, I like it. We'll see how the face room looks soon...

Momcat ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 10:37 AM

I am fervently hoping they do something about the over all speed of the program. So far I've been able to do small resolution images, but nothing involving production mode at all, and no real bells and whistles. I have an HP Pavillion, 1.69GHz Celeron CPU, with 384mb of DDR RAM (working on getting more) 40gig hd, with 10gig free

layingback ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 10:58 AM

Basically... No difference. Initial load as slow or slower. Subsequent reload is faster, but system seems slower after Poser unloaded - need to investigate, but have to run P5 to do that, and really don't see the point (to run P5 vs. P4). Run time performance exactly the same - still click and wait a second or 2 for effect to occur, or rather, click twice to reset the focus. Still consumes 98-99% processor during load, render, etc. (which might be acceptable if P4 compatible renderer was faster than in P4 - but it isn't). Still doesn't allow control back to Windows for screen refreshes, etc. Still, ... Well still the same IMHO, an ill behaved application that's almost ready for initial Alpha testing, and with some basic updating to bring it up to current Windows programming specs/standards could soon be ready for some serious Beta testing. :-) But in terms of applying SR3 to fix one of the very few specific bugs that were addressed, why not install? Win2k SP2, 1GHz/1GB. P5 was always stable on this system in terms of no crashes, no BSOD, but dog slow. But per CL posting of last few days no-one complains that its slow thus it presumably will never get fixed. (CL please see the thread of happy users as an unbiased control, even they say it's "Slow, OK" and "did most of the scene composing in Pro Pack beforehand", "slow transfer between anything", and similar. And this from the happy users, not the EVM!) 8.25 months ...

JeffH ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 11:10 AM

"I have an HP Pavillion, 1.69GHz Celeron CPU, with 384mb of DDR RAM"

512 is minimum because as far as I can tell WinXP uses 256 of that ram for itself.

-J.

Ms_Outlaw ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 12:27 PM

It works about the same for me. The can't find texture thing is still annoying. For me everything else will work well until I start playing with the lights. I've learned to save before going to the lights. Default lighting will render fine, I switch to a light set (I've done it will several so not a bad setting) and it will switch to loading textures as it's supposed to... and stay there, crash and burn. It still does it with the sr3

Badco ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 2:17 PM

After getting a bunch of errors while running the sr3 updater, CRC check failed, whatever, I ignore it all and at the end I then had no Poser.exe. I uninstalled Poser5 and then reinstalled it clean. Ran the sr3 updater again and got the same CRC check failed, error. I retried it and it gave me, setup was unsuccessful, message and closed. Win Xp Pro P4 2.4ghz 512MB 1066 Rambus ram

lululee ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 2:59 PM

file_57587.jpg

Just installed the SR3 Patch. P5 now takes twice as long to load AFTER installing patch then it did before. Here is a Poser5 and a Poser 4Pro render using the same lights and Mat file. I hope that Curious Labs does not think that they can get people to spend more money on a Pro pak with plugins when they don't even deliver on the updates they promise for the base software.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 5:01 PM

The same old song :-(

My website

YouTube Channel

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 5:14 PM

Lululee, Check your material room settings. Or at least post them so you can get help. Looks like the texture is pluged into the wrong diffuse.

Tirjasdyn

lululee ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 5:59 PM

I do know how to correct the settings manually but the Mat Pose files don't work properly.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 7:28 PM

Finally installed SR3 on top of my existing installation of SR2.1. For the record, I've never had to reinstall the application since my original out-of-the-box installation back in September. In fact, I'm not even sure where I left the CDs ...

• moves copy of Thief 2 *

... oh wait, there they are.

No installation problems whatsoever with either the figure updater or the executable updater. None of the CRC errors reported by others. I guess they downloaded properly on the first try.

SR3 might launch/relaunch faster than before ... I didn't didn't bother to time it. It seemed fast enough to me back in SR2.1.

Whatever they did to the Walk Designer, I can finally make proper use of it, even with my custom-designed figures. In fact, the movement is less jerky than the usual results I get in Pro Pack. I no longer need to do any scene composing in Pro Pack beforehand, layingback.

Shadow maps seem to be generated faster, but this might just be my imagination. Further experimentation is warranted.

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 8:14 PM

Lululee, Thats not a problem with poser but a problem with the mat file not being fully configured for poser 5. You could fix it in the material room and save it as a p5 mat with minimal effort.

Tirjasdyn

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 8:16 PM

HMMMMM. tHIS IS WEIRD... Inserted 2 mushrooms into my scene...applied mats...the mushrooms disappeared from the scene...they did not appear in the render either... They worked fine prior to SR3...where did they go??? There is no transparency assigned in the material room. The mushrooms are still listed in the object lists.

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 8:30 PM

I will say it appears P4 lights are now working...the A2Z light set always caused a render lock if I applied them without deleting the previous lights...it worked with 4 changes..the renders went fine. Aother problematic light set I have worked as well... There are also shadows now in FF draft mode...

milamber42 ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 11:53 PM

My 250 x 250 animation with chrome reflections still dies during a firefly render. I am building a new system soon, so I'll have the chance to test for compatibility problems.

Larry-L ( ) posted Sat, 10 May 2003 at 8:35 AM

I had the same exact problem as Badco #25. Damn it! Now what do I do?

Graybeard ( ) posted Sat, 10 May 2003 at 2:56 PM

I also get the crc-error Any ideas?

EsnRedshirt ( ) posted Sat, 10 May 2003 at 3:01 PM

I didn't have any install problems, but strand-based hair is now
rendering at a mere crawl... and I was so glad they'd fixed the
dynamics, I was looking forward to using it in animations. However,
30 minutes per frame is not a useful speed for me. Time to upgrade
my memory >.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.