Sun, Sep 22, 12:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: *URGENT* Serious, proper photography help needed

JordyArt ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 4:39 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 12:43 AM

At work I've got to take a picture of an item not too different in format from a radio alarm clock. Basically, Black plastic case with LED display..... Problem is, I can't get a happy medium with the picture - either the case is just right and the digits have an awful neon-like glow around them, or the display is fine but the case looks naff. Please, Please help!! I need to know what sort of lighting and/or camera setup I need to get this right.... I've got less than 2 weeks to get this done, leaflet designed and printed...... and it's positively doing my head in..... I've tried slow shutter speeds, fast shutter speeds, bright light, low light..... oh, and interestingly using the flash is completely out - these things refresh the display just like a TV does, so using a flash & high shutter speed catches it half way through a refresh so you have numbers showing..... Any help from you guys will be MUCH appreciated - and lets face it, it's not very often I ask for technical stuff, is it? (The fact I avoid technical things has nothing to do with that fact, honest.....) CHEERS! (",)

Rork1973 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 5:49 AM

How about setting up a background in one color (white wall, sheet of paper, or whatever). Fix the camera in one position and just make multiple pictures that can be put on top of eachother, so you can brush away the better parts. And if the flash is annoying you, just take some thick piece of paper and tape it to the flash. Never tried it myself, but it should work. And if you need help with editing, just send and I'll fit them right into one whole picture, if you want. Hope that helps....

randyrives ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 7:07 AM

The first thing I could think of is what Rork said. Two photos blended together.

FlipFlop ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 7:23 AM

this might not work to well but how about a reflector. light up the case and then using the reflector aim the light at the display, i think this could eliminate the neon glow but dont hold me to that.

JordyArt ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 7:25 AM

Cheers guys..... I sorta considered this, but they don't have PhotoShop or anything at this new place..... I'm the most computer literate person here and their ideas about computer graphics start and end somewhere around the film TRON. I've even had to talk them into buying a half decent printer fur gawds' sake. 'Course it had to be an A3, just to save having to buy one later on when the project really takes off...... eh? thinking of myself? don't be silly.... how can you even suggest such a thing ;) sigh I guess I've got some homework to do....... I was trying to avoid that ;) Cheers anyways!! Mike (",)

Misha883 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 8:20 AM

My first thought was also using two images in photoshop. Maybe you need to do the computer work at home, and do a real nice job so they then buy you the right stuff? I would suspect though that you could crank up the ambient lighting enough to equalize the case with the display. Tricky. Nice to set everything up using a digital or polaroid, then go to your film. Could also maybe try a double exposure; expose for the display, then pull the plug and expose for the case? Again tricky.

ficticious ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 10:47 AM

why not take two pics, and combine in photoshop....?

ficticious ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 10:51 AM

ok, wait, they don't have photoshop, but they will be getting this leaflet printed somewhere which means somewhere along the lines a layout tool will be being used. here's an idea or two. 1: just give them a tiff file and hope the printshop can deal. 2: Print out the image yourself and give it to them like a printed photo. 3: Some printshops have the ability to put a computer file to slide and/or kodak t-max 100 film. Ask around, and find out the size requirements. Make the ultimate digi file, and then give it to them in one of those formats. I did this for my portfolio for Concordia U. with slide film, and it came out fantastic. 4: Don't diss Tron muthah fuckah!

JordyArt ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 11:29 AM

Okies, the files are now on my system, I suppose homework is the answer...... fict, what are you on dude? It'll take a print company a vital couple of days to do this, cost stupid money for little work, and erm..... oooh, I dunno, I think my PhotoShop skills just might stretch to this task..... rofl I wasn't dissin TRON, it's a brill film!!! I was merely using it as a reference point.... jeez, dude, someone use your favourite knickers to carry chilli peppers or summik?!? he he he (",)

ficticious ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 3:32 PM

not a print company, just a photo development house. as for the vital couple of days, if you have two weeks, you have plenty of time. Besides, you could probably pay an additional fdee (which would be reimbursed by the leaflet company of course) to have it produced 'same-day' so long as you bring it in in the morning. Seriously, Fred did it for me once, but he's a lot closer to home than you would be. Came out great. What exactly do you need for a final output to give to the company? It's gotta be one of 3 things, either a hard copy print, a file, or a slide/negative. All 3 can be accomplished bro.

JordyArt ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 5:35 PM

I just need the stock image, which is currently sitting in my camera - we've invested in the decent printer and we won't be skimping on the quality of paper, so we're gonna produce our own leaflets. I say we..... sigh Printing time, yeah a disadvantage, but it can work by itself overnight... ;) Overall, we've ran a test today and the quality is gonna be more than adequate. Thanks for the tips though! (",)

bsteph2069 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 8:04 PM

How about a LOONG exposure! That should take care of the scan lines I think and the case will have plenty of light. I think if you under light the subject then take a longer exposure than usual may work. Alternatively, maybe some whack lighting may work. Something along a bright flourscent light for the display and normal lights for the case. Bsteph

theFOG ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 9:20 AM

A couple of ideas that may work. If your camera is able to do double exposures, take one exposed for the lights then add a second with the light off to get the case. Or try turning the lights off part way through the exposure.

theFOG ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 9:21 AM

By the lights I mean the LEDs.

Alpha ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 8:59 PM

If you have two weeks, that's a lifetime. Send me the flippin' clock. I will shoot it, make it look like a million dollars and get it all back to you less than 24 hours from the time I receive the clock.

As an alternative, meter the LEDs for a correct exposure then adjust the ambient light to match your readings. (A rheostat on the lights would be helpful) Shoot this on a seamless background (unless they asked for something else) that is a medium gray to white, and you should be all set.

BTW... At some point the image has to go throough Photoshop before it goes to press.

Misha883 ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 9:13 PM

Wow! Look who the cat dragged in! Thanks, Alpha, for lending a hand.

JordyArt ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 4:12 AM

Cheers again peeps! okies, photoshopping it has given me a reasonable result... HOWEVER, I'm gonna try to be a technical little sod and give Alphas idea a try soon...... sigh I wish the 2 weeks (10 days now) was a lifetime.... there's soooo much more to do than just this that even toilet breaks are getting difficult to fit in.....this pic is just one of a range that need to be thrown onto literature in preperation for a show, and it's absolute chaos at the moment!!!! Anyways, I didn't join the company for an easy life and it'll be rewarding when it pans out, so I shouldn't complain ;) Once again, many thanks all! (",)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.