Thu, Sep 19, 11:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Character Animation in Bryce

Andini ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 10:30 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:28 PM

Attached Link: http://www.andyluttrell.com/3D/characteranimation.avi

I was fooling with Bryce and it's animation today when I found the magic of Keyframes. Here's a little guy I animated this evening. It obviously needs a TON of work to reach the quality of professional character animation but it's a start. Let me know what you think...it's just a WIP at the moment.

EricofSD ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 1:43 AM

Keep going. Love to see more bryce animations.

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 1:50 AM

Lol. great animation. A good trick professional animators often use is to act the animation themselves in front of a mirror or a video-camera. That way they can work out the best timing. Some of the head movements you made where a little fast, other facial moves (like the resizing of the eyes) could sometimes be faster. But that all depends on what the character is doing exactly.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

ICMgraphics ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 6:41 AM

Great Start, can't wait to see the finished prod.

Andini ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 7:24 AM

Thanks for the comments. I had in my head what I sort of wanted it to look like so I started to experiment. Something that would surely make a more expressive face would be eyelids. I also tried eyebrows but has a little bit of trouble with them. I also agree with some of the jerkiness in the movement. But, hey, Walt Disney started with some of the jerkiest flowing cartoons ever and now look where they are!

boblaprime ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 8:38 AM

Character animation in Bryce and/or Carrara is a waste of time. If you want character animation, try animation master. I own all 3 and each has its place but for character animation there is one clear winner Let's have an animation contest. We don't have to do anything except look at the results. Check out each of their sites and you will find only one clear winner. There are MANY great animation works done in AM but few in Bryce or Carrara. I'm sorry I wasted my time on them. I am now spending all my time on AM. I have seen the results and I am very impressed, and the version I have is 3 years old. Bryce and Carrara have a very long way to go to catch up with AM in character animation. Sorry to be such a bummer... No I'm not, it's all true. Corel is such a lackluster company that buying any of their products is a waste of money and such a let down that it is like buying a game and then realizing a couple of days later that it sucks and removing it from your hard drive to make room for something else that you never use.

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 9:52 PM

Neat little animation. Separate the eyes some more.

bulldawg66 ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 10:00 PM

boblaprime, Since you think animation with Bryce is such a waste of time, I would check out Draginsbld's personal webpage (I can't find the link). I think you would be very surprised at what can be done with Bryce.

boblaprime ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 10:21 PM

I will look for it. If I'm that wrong then I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

AnimationMaster is designed from the ground up to handle character animation by a programmer who is also an animator. This fact makes it a more efficient platform when it comes to modelling and animating characters. It also can do many types of animation from toon to very close to realistic.

Bryce is not designed for it and Carrara 2 is still not quite there for any serious character animation.

Aldaron ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 10:25 PM

There is always one other program that does something better than another, that doesn't make any specific program a waste of time or useless. For it's price Bryce is a very powerful program and can do some stuff easier and better than the high-end programs and visa-versa. Bryce may not be "IDEAL" for character animation but it can be done or just import poser animations (by either 3rd party software or manually).

boblaprime ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 10:38 PM

All I really meant was that if I needed to do any character animation then AM will be my first choice among the tools that I have. I don't own Poser and probably won't buy it. Bryce is a very good program within it's limitations. Does anyone know where I can find Draginsbld's personal webpage? I would really like to check out any good Bryce animation.

bulldawg66 ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 11:56 PM

I must apologize. It wasn't Dragonbld, it was clay (long weekend and not enough coffee). Sorry. But here's the link: http://claygraphics.phase2.net/theshahnraproject.html Peace.

Rayraz ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 1:53 AM

Clays animatinons are exceptionally good. Very nice scenes.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 6:46 PM

Well one could use external modeling programs and then import the frame by frame modified object into bryce. It's possible but it can be a tedious pain in the butt. LOL! Now if there were a way to do this quickly...

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 19 May 2003 at 12:04 AM

Maybe you can make a skeleton out of cilinders and stuff and then link metaballs to it to make deformable animatable characters. It won't be very easy to animate, but it'll certainly be possible. I used it to pose the metaball hands of my matrix-human from my april challenge entry.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

boblaprime ( ) posted Mon, 19 May 2003 at 12:17 AM

I just watched the Clays Shahnra Project trailer animations and they are awesome. Can't wait to see more. The work it must have taken amazes me. No character animation though. There are apps that let you take poser character animation and import it into Bryce but I don't remember them. I would rather not spend time doing character animation in Bryce. Animating them in Poser and importing them would be the only way to go. If I remember correctly, the price is well worth it. Sorry Andini, wasn't trying to insult your work. That's pretty good for fooling around. You have more patience than I do.

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 19 May 2003 at 5:32 AM

Boblaprime, there's some brycian character animation in my showreel. Have you seen it already?

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

boblaprime ( ) posted Mon, 19 May 2003 at 7:19 PM

No I have not. Where can I find it?

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2003 at 2:51 AM

Attached Link: http://www.mindvision.nl/uu/rayraz/

You can fin the animation here.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

boblaprime ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2003 at 12:16 AM

Very interesting. I'd like to know how long it took just for the scene where the character is dancing.

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2003 at 2:41 AM

The dancing scene took me about one day to animate. From 9:00 in the morning to 20:00 in the evening with about 3 hours lunch and TV in between. So that would be about 8 hours. Rendering the dancingscene with normal AA at a res of 800x600 with 25fps took a week. It was my first serious character animation. I've got an idea for a new animation too, with a crowd-scene. I'll be working on it as soon as my exams are over (only 3 more to go, I've got my english exam today). It'll feature the toon-style from my Toonstreet WIP. In fact the toonstreet is going to be one of the scenes in the animation.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

pauljs75 ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2003 at 11:20 AM

That animation rocked... There was a part in the middle where I wasn't too keen on the music... The dancing cyborg dude at the end had me ROFL. Especially when he exploded. Also the bit of integrated live sequence with the rendered background looked pretty cool too. If it weren't for the compression it would almost look good at full screen. Some of the soundtrack seemed over amplified which added noise. But then again, it could have been the compression as well. But it's a heck of a lot more than anything I've ever attempted to animate.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2003 at 3:15 PM

Some of the sound wasn't really perfect, but I was glad to get everything combined in the right oreder. My video-editor is so unstable it's almost unusable (it crashes about every 3 minutes). I didn't have the patience to try and fix the sound up, because only adding a simple mp3-file took a few hours and several reboots.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2003 at 3:16 PM

of = if oreder = order

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.