Fri, Sep 20, 3:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: *Offical July Challenge*

catlin_mc ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 7:06 AM

Please clarify....................this has to take place in the DTE, you cannot make textures using 2d images? Catlin

bulldawg66 ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 9:05 AM

Well, Im willing to give this one a go...I just wish that the requirment was nil! Nadda! I would really like to see what people can actually do without bringing a bunch of props in from somewhere else for a change. Doug in Houston

derjimi ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 12:05 PM

Dou, we had a "pure Bryce" challenge earlier this year. Or was it last year? Time flies so quick. J.

antevark ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 2:22 PM

That's right, Catlin... Must've been this year, derjimi, I'm pretty sure I remember it, and I wasn't here last year(interested in programming back then- my hobbies change a lot)

Zhann ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 6:21 PM

Catlin, yes everything takes place in the DTE, but if you're unsure of how to go about it checkout any post that says Official..... there's help everywhere. If you are still hesitant, there are textures I'm suppling (see the first post) for you to use any way you like (except for changing their color) above. Actually, I think you would have a real knack for the DTE...give it a shot....

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

antevark ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 6:36 PM

Yeah, I actually found it fairly intuitive to a certain degree(more than I would've thought, anyway), and I can get things to look more or less how I want, after having practiced.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2003 at 3:17 AM

I'm just being a wimp Zhann. I've made some nice textures by manipulating some 2d images but I guess all textures should be new for the challenge. OK I'm of to start twiddling dials and sliders and stuff......8) Catlin

Zhann ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2003 at 3:40 AM

You'll find after awhile it's adictive, I did, I must have 20 materials, and I've been studing nature photos and trying to get something similar from the DTE, ooo, that's a nice one...;]

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

antevark ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2003 at 4:26 PM

The annoying thing about this is that Bryce doesn't do large specular areas, just a little dot. I was trying to do that unsanded black metal with rainbow specularity, but... Bryce don't do that.... 8^(

Hepcatbrandon ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2003 at 6:28 PM

change the specular halo value

catlin_mc ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2003 at 6:50 PM

Aye, there's an answer to everything..............lol 8)

FirstBlueMoon ( ) posted Thu, 17 July 2003 at 3:13 PM

I was crying until I saw the pandora link to a dte tute above - now I'm going to go home and isolate myself from the rest of society for a day or eight and learn this dang thing!

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 21 July 2003 at 9:44 AM

Cool. I've got tons of DTE textures I made. Any special kind of textures needed?

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Mon, 21 July 2003 at 2:33 PM

As long as they're good ones Rayraz that's all that matters.

billmiles ( ) posted Tue, 22 July 2003 at 7:19 AM

I thought DTE was a drink related thing when you flew to long I will have to go lock myself in for a week or three and read the tut here goes bm.

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 22 July 2003 at 2:42 PM

Good thing I used the DTE since I first started using bryce years ago. That's 5 years of DTE experience. I've already created 7 textures made 100% in the DTE. A rocky planet texture, a cloudy atmosphere texture, a volume atmosphere texture, a startrek 2 style volume genesis-effect texture (that actually looks really good), a volume energy-wave texture, a starfield and a soft nebula-gas volume. And there's lot's more comming :)

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 22 July 2003 at 5:30 PM

Wowee Rayraz! your back and hard at work already...........lol 8D I can only think of a couple of others here who are as devoted in time and energy to Bryce and quite mad with it, ie. Ornlu (mad meta man) for one, and Flak (crazy crowd controller) for another. 8) Catlin

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 22 July 2003 at 7:26 PM

Attached Link: Time Squad lighting test

Rayraz, I always loved the texture you had on your figure in your "Time Squad lighting test" in your gallery. Cool pic. It's on the Renderosity DVD, btw. Can't wait to see your mats. AgentSmith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 23 July 2003 at 2:11 AM

That solves the mystery of what made it onto the DVD. I can put that one in with the free textures. I've got 2 versions of the texture. It's one of those textures that always needs tweaking with mapping and stuff to look perfect.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 23 July 2003 at 2:14 AM

D'oh! Sorry...didn't mean to spoil anything. AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 23 July 2003 at 2:18 AM

Don't worry about it. Now I don't have to wait for the last 6 or so people to say that the DVD may be sold to the artists her on 'Rosity.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

D_Barr ( ) posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 7:43 AM

What is meant by "keep postwork minimal". Its in the rules. Sorry, this is probably a stupid question. Im new to Renderosity and the whole graphic game :)

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 7:51 AM
Forum Moderator

D_Barr: It means if you want to add your name to your piece in Photoshop or PSP and do tiny tweeks that's ok, but if you want to add filters, effects, or major brushwork then that's a no-no.....

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 8:01 AM

It means postwork is allowed, but if you can use as little as possible you should. So taking a render of a mountain landscape and then drawing 300 trees on it in Photoshop would be a bit to much, but dodging some SFX or adjusting brightness and contrast is allowed. There's no real rules on what 'minimal' is and it's a matter of taste. If the community decides that there's too much postwork to call 'minimal' they will say they think the entry can do with a little less postwork. But usually every entry can enter the contest. I have used some simple compositing in my (maybe still WIP) entry for instance to avoid artefacts where the volume atmosphere and the genesis effect interesect. I rendered the atmosphere seperate and added it as a new layer with adjusted contrast in PSP. Those are minor adjustments.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 8:02 AM

oops, crosspost. Sorry B

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

D_Barr ( ) posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 8:39 AM

Cheers, I get it. So putting a huge picture of my mother and in the corner a small picture of my entry is out of the question. :)

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 10:07 AM

Unless you made the picture of your mother in bryce :)

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

D_Barr ( ) posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 10:25 AM

good call! :D Iv just ready the mini tutorial, its very good and easy to follow, I have a much better understanding of how DTE works know.

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 4:30 PM
Forum Moderator

Sorry! No Mothers or Mother's-in-law allowed....;-)

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

jasonmit ( ) posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 4:48 PM

Not even if they're babes like Bill's stepmom in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure"?

FirstBlueMoon ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2003 at 11:07 PM

Learned some things about the dte but not nearly enough - I'm out :o(

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 6:04 AM

FirstBlueMoon, There's some great tut's out there. check the spotlight link in the forum header.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

WindeSpirit ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 7:07 PM

looks like I got around to looking at this forum to late again. But decided this time to leave a thought since this seems rare to find tutorials on... The animation features of Bryce, it would be a great challenge to for all the artists to incorporate a object or two. just a idea. Good work to ya all on the enteries ;) Deep textures aren't as hard if you play with it every now and then instead of importing every time.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.