Fri, Oct 4, 9:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 4:27 pm)

Subject: popularity contest

DigitalDreamer ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 3:29 PM

4points I'd like to make: If you want loads of comments and to get a chance to win comps, make loads of nekked vicky pics!! The other 3 are on a more serious vein. Firtsly, if you limit to 1 a week, people who have several pieces of wip that finish around the same time are deprived of the opportunity of posting them. Some of us work that way in bursts..... post several pics in a short period, then nothing for a while. The second point concerns competitions. There has to be a way to stop people getting friends from outside of rosity to join just to vote for their pic in a comp. Perhaps a 'probationary member' category where for the first 30 days of membership you cant vote in comps. Finally, on the point of a critics corner. It would only be used by those peeps who dont mind constructive criticism now. Those who whine because someone rated their pic great rather than excellent wont post to it. Lets face it, the rating system is useless since 90% of people award excellents to every pic. I dont, and then get flamed for giving an honest rating; result? I dont rate pics very often anymore. RDNA, the attic and others flourish because rosity seems to have lost its way.. do we want that to continue?

dlk30341 ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 5:25 PM

All, I know, is that I post my pics where I can get an HONEST evaluation, I'm not interested in contests, as my goals are different than many here. I have no intention of being a hobbyist( and NO nudes and no Warrior stuffs, that's just me), as my husband would kill me if he knew all the money I have spent was just to play ;). I have a very thick skin, as long as people are being HONEST & just not plain rude. I don't need my ego inflated. What I don't get is why people don't appreciate criticism, how else are we all supposed to learn anything. So, I guess I wish there was a REAL critic out there somewhere, to comment on composition,perspective,object placement,lighting, things of this nature. Oh well, I'm just here to learn...so my time is spent printing tutorials & asking questions as I only 4 hours tops each night to devote to learning, so politics here are NOT an option for me. I'm trying to learn 3 different programs all at the same time, so there is NO time for BS/games in my life;). As always I appreciate EVERYONES help!!!! That is why I toodle around here, looking for those great tips/tricks and help.

Spanki ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 5:43 PM

I like pin-ups. I make pin-ups (including to a large extent, but not exclusively nudes). I often scan the galleries with 'pin-ups' as my only filter. I've never spent more than one day on any particular image. I also find no fault in any of the above ;)... it's just my particular method and means of producing and viewing things I like. I still think it's the end-result that counts. If it's aesthetically appealing to you, then I'm happy. If it's not, then my 'art' may (or may not) be as good as yours, but it's no less valid as art because I didn't spend a month creating it. Let's not forget - in this discussion - that people use Poser for different things and have as many different goals and opinions as there are members here. Just some food for thought.

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

Spanki ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 5:53 PM

...sorry, I really didn't intend to open up the whole 'what is art' can of worms ;). To try to bring this back around to topic, as I mentioned before, I'm always open to comments on improving my images (but if your comment is 'spend a week doing postwork in photoshop' then that's just not my bag).

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 8:45 PM

"...on the point of a critics corner. It would only be used by those peeps who dont mind constructive criticism now..." That's the idea. , to help the people who genuinely want to hear the truth (or a reasonable facsimilie therof), to help them improve. It would be wasted on the others anyway. I also think that dlk30341 has a good point. I would think that anyone interested in art would want to hear about things like color, perspective, mood etc. There's the whole other area of Poser technical minuttia, where to put lights, camera focal length, etc. that people may want advice on and is important, but I don't necessarily see that as "artistic" criticism. At any rate, i have no atristic pretentions or aspirations, just trying to think of ways to attack one of Renderosity's perennial complaints. As it stands, few people have the time, inclination or even necessarily the skills to give the kind of feedback people are asking for so why not make it a deliberate, focused process. I'm sure it's no panacea but the current system seems to be broken for many people.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 11:43 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=719932

xoconostle, It isn't a matter of guts on the part of the viewers. Trust me, I'm not afraid to air my opinions. ;^) Many people here are too sensitive because most of them are hobbyists. The artists want and need the constructive words, but the hobbyists are posting for quite another reason altogether, and their desire for praise and hugs can't be condemned. There have been a few times when I've commented publicly on how to make an image better, but almost always where I think there is a sincere desire to improve the image. (The link is to such a thread.) Most people who desire my help will email the image and we can work on it out of sight where weaknesses can be corrected and feelings (like throats) don't have to be bared. We put pieces of our soul into this work, but a flaw in composition or coloring doesn't mean that the artist is a miserable wretch of a human... just that they haven't pulled away from the act of creation long enough to see it as others do. Carolly

shadow_dancer ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 12:31 AM

i try very hard to get across a feeling a emotion in my works and its quite satisfing when other see that emotion Ie feeling and comment about it and ive had a lot of help along the way from diffrent ppl here and elsewhere i appreciate honest in the reponse i get i hate the fluff and i pass my pics along b 4 i post them to someone i know has a very critical eye someone i value their opinion and respect as a artist. and then spend usally another 2 hrs on it correcting what theyve seen wrong i know i workesd on my contest image 4 days in actual work but a week of figuring out how to get reflections on the floor im no artist and with alot of ppls help and comments and nudging i did get them but a week of trial and error and then 4 more days of making it

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 3:23 AM

"...because most of them are hobbyists.." Kaching - jackpot.Of course, membership in either group doesn't necessarily define what type of comments people want but the generalization is probably pretty valid in many cases. More generally, I think that much if not most most of the tension and contention that crops up here is a result of the different perspectives and attitudes of those two groups. I have only half-baked sociological theories, no answers.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

rasputina ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 3:51 AM

I like to do pinups, not solely but often, but there was an image I'd done, and took hours on, postwork even...got a few comments here and there (posted several places) which were nice and I'll admit I enjoy that, who wouldn't, but the best comment I got was that it was nice, but did I see the thumb coming through X, and for the life of me through all that work in poser and out I never noticed the thumb, that is so helpful..I know I'm guilty of leaving nice hair/light comments, but it is the rare gems you see where people are both nice and critical who are merely helping you grow without any shouts or 'troll' connatations.

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 4:33 AM

I really see this thread being moved to the OT forum... The issue of popularity has gotten to be a dead horse. I agree comments are really nice and sometimes really helpful. Having someone view your work is greatly appreciated. And in perusing the galleries, I often see genres that I would like to try out. That's how I switched from noir to sci-fi. Sometimes its really frustrating to see one of my noir pics with less views than a nude Vicki pin-up. But I choose to do noir and not nudes. And as a consequence I get less hits. However, it is the type of work which interests me. Again, I have no clue as to who is considered popular and who isn't. It really seems pretty arbitrary to me. And I can honestly say that I have never voted for an image because I've never understood what the top 20 was. However, these are some things about artists with a lot of hits in their galleries that I have noticed: 1. They use a nude female pinup in their image (duh...). 2. They either supply free content or have good quality items in their online store. 3. Some of them are amongst the oldest members here so they have already networked and gotten to know other artists. 4. They do a fair amount of postwork... including painting hair instead of using hair props.

geoegress ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 5:08 PM

cherokee69- ya- I'm with you- days and weeks- not hours

ladynimue ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 6:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=1390376

First we have started a Picks of the Week thread :) and Don't forget to check out the Poser Forum Community [in the drop down menu on the top of the sidebar] There is a listing of Artist You Would like to see featured :) SoOOooo - we really are trying :) ladynimue

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.