Sat, Sep 21, 3:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: 3DS- weird results-Newbie problem

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 3:43 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:35 PM

file_73156.jpg

I have PC, and Vue4.12.02 I purchased HMS victory. I loaded it Objects>Import objects>Victory 3DS, and I got the attached results. I can move it, and render it, but the model broken up like that it is tough to see what I'm doing. Did I do something wrong? I also want to get close up on the deck, and broken up like that I can't see where I'm at. Can anyone please help?

sirkrite ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 5:11 PM

file_73157.jpg

As long as the victory is selected, it will look like that. Try un-selecting it and you should be able to see it.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 6:02 PM

file_73158.jpg

Hi sirkrite, I tried deselecting, no help.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 6:08 PM

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. :O(

BigGreenFurryThing ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 6:40 PM

Not sure you're doing anything wrong as I have the exact same problem with imported objects even those of far less complexity than your ship. Sometimes wireframe mode helps. I've also tried playing with the OpenGL settings with unpredictable results. This is frustrating as other apps (Ampai, Carrara) import and display OK. Sirkrite, what OpenGL settings are you using, please?

Cheers,
Mark

sirkrite ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 6:52 PM

Try not having anything selected. Click on the open sky so that nothing gets selected.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 7:53 PM

file_73159.jpg

sirkrite, clicked open sky no help. Attached is my settings, the only thing I changed was the enabled option.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 7:56 PM

I mean Open GL. Enable was already checked off.

sirkrite ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 8:11 PM

Your setting are fine. The only thing I can think of is not enough RAM or a video card issue.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 8:56 PM

PC with XL 1.5 Gig of ram, 128mb ATI Radeon 9700G PRO AGP Graphics Accelerator 200 Gig Hard Drive 3.03 GHZ

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 9:00 PM

Does Vue4 have a virtiual memory problem like Poser?

jimgranite ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 9:02 PM

Crank that instant draw up all the way. I've had the same issue, and that seems to take care of it. I usually work in wireframe mode though. I like it better than the opengl preview.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 9:23 PM

jimgranite- I cranked the instant draw up, all it did was crash the program...twice.

sirkrite ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 9:32 PM

With that much ram in Vue you shouldn't need virtiual memory. Don't think it's your computer with them specs. I only got; Win xp home 512 meg of ram Intel intergrated 3D graphic accelerator 100 gig hard drive P3 933 mhz

sirkrite ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 10:01 PM

Hmmm? I don't get this. The Victory is not that big a file size that it should cause any problems. Converted to .obj file it's only 28 1/4 megs plus texture another 5 megs. But the textures have nothing to do with the view screen, only the render.

hein ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 1:37 AM

Get that often with imported stuff, size doesn't matter in this case, consider it a VUE thingy (seen a lot of them in the past 4+ years), best solution is "sigh, shrug and live with it".

Philywebrider ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 4:47 AM

Hein-but I can't see the model to pose it, it is not a "little" glitch. :O(

hein ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 5:31 AM

From your screenshots I understood you see those "red bits" , it's a pain to do but I usually manage to pose a 3DS like that by keeping an eye on the little preview screen and doing a lot of test renders. On the other hand I see in your (msg 7) that you have Use OPENGL checked ON , uncheck that and try again. Having OPENGL on is on my PC a 100% certain way to mess up VUE4.

niandji ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 5:31 AM

I get the same problem - the only way to get the full solid view on imports is to have instant draw turned right up, but then I get slow window refreshes, so I'm learning to live with it! Maybe it is an Open GL setting in the XP display properties that needs to be adjusted? System: P4 2.8 1 Gz RAM Geforce 4 ti4200 128RAM

Philywebrider ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 6:02 AM

I posted this question earlier, In the manual shows an icon on the right hand side of each window, Top, Side, and Front. My views of View, have no icon. Where did it go? The icon has a drop window that lists, "Maxinize/Restore, Wireframe box, Flat Shaded, Smooth Shaded, Show Fog, Density from atamosphere, Adjust for Fog Density, Light from scene". My answer from gebe was; "These icons can only be seen when OpenGL is enabled (File-->Options-->Enable OpenGL. If OpenGL is disabled, you have wireframe anyhow." Turning up the instant draw crashed the program (Vue4) "Maybe it is an Open GL setting in the XP display properties that needs to be adjusted?" I haven't the foggest idea how, let alone what, to do.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 6:06 AM

BTW I did send a E-mail to HMS designer/modeler/artist. The ad said it was tested in Vue4.

niandji ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 6:26 AM

Me neither, I was just hoping that someone reading this board would know. I find that Vue 4 performance under Open GL is pretty poor - I have to have the background draw off, otherwise I get grey backgrounds in each window and the whole thing gets jerky and leaves artifacts - I have also found that the Vue slows right down if a single object with lots of polys ( eg a bank of 10-15 vue generated reeds, grouped as an object - about 600K polys) really slows down screen refresh to a crawl, and moving anything in the scene gets very jerky. Not to mention the 'lets grab all the resources on your system, and you will NOT do anything else 'til the render finishes' peculiarity, which only seems to be found on NT/2000/XP systems. I know there is a workaround for this (change the Vue.exe priority to low in the windows task manager after the render starts) Might look like a moan, but I really like the program, and accept that these are glitches that may or may not be related to my system - but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like something done about them!

Spit ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 6:41 AM

Me too :) I've turned OpenGL off. It wasn't crashing or anything, but things got too sluggish as you said and the materials preview became almost useless. :( Now that part's okay, but I can't get the wireframes to have a high enough density? to see what I'm doing. I've played every which way to Sunday with those sliders. Background draw off and on. I don't know what else to do really except live with it.

hein ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 7:15 AM

openglyes.jpg

OPENGL on

openglno.jpg

OPENGL off

There is a difference in the way a 3DS is displayed, apart from that this model renders fine in VUE.

Spit ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 7:27 AM

Hein...what are your sliders set to? Background draw on or off?

hein ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 8:22 AM

Background draw on max, Instant Draw on nearly max "better" works best here, Gf3-200 (NVidia & VUE isn't the combo of choice).

Spit ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 8:32 AM

Thanks! nvidia here. Actually GF3 also. LOL I have Background draw on max but instant draw about half...I'll turn it up and try again.

tradivoro ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 9:26 AM

Hi Phil, unfortunately, for whatever reason, this happens frequently with 3ds objects.. I bet you if you convert this to obj format, it will come in flawlessly, and format well... I had the same problem with an intricate column.... The problem is that obj format will increase the size of the model considerably... But vue seems to be biased for obj...

Philywebrider ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 10:48 AM

tradivoro - How do I convert to obj format?

tradivoro ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 12:12 PM

I think in the backroom they have a list of free converter programs... Maybe someone here will recommend one... But it's a simple process... when you have the program, you simply upload the 3ds model into the program and save as obj format... if you have poser, you can do this too...

Philywebrider ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 3:14 PM

Can anyone suggest a obj format converter?...Please.

niandji ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 3:32 PM

Try wings3D - it's free, and it can import 3DS & OBJ and exports the same as well as a couple of others. You can get it here: http://www.wings3d.com/

sirkrite ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 3:41 PM

I don't know about using Poser for that. I tried it last night with the Victory and Poser stoped responding. Had no problem importing it into Amorphium 3. Maybe OpenGL don't like the newer computers. ;)

Porthos ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 9:12 PM

Have you tried saving it in poser as a pz3 file and importing that into Vue!

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

the hankster ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 12:28 AM

file_73160.jpg

Hey Guys, This sounds like a video driver problem to me. Philywebrider, ATI based graphics card in the past have been notorious for poor video drivers. I am not sure if the newer ATI cards have the same issue but I would recommend going to their web site and downloading the latest drivers for your card to see if that fixes the problem. You can also read E-on Software official comment on the issue : http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Support/Vue4FAQ.php Their comments explains why Sirkrite with a P3 and an integrated Intel 3D card has no problems because he is probably using a default OPENGL driver that handles multi-threaded drawing. Here are a couple of screen captures of what it should look like if everything is working properly. It was taken on a P4 with a Geoforce/Nvidia graphics card with the instant draw cranked all the way up. Personally, I don't think you need to see full wires or a OPENGL preview in order to configure the ship. All the optional parts (listed in ALL CAPS) are already in position so all you need to do is just delete the ones you don't want. I hope this has been of some help :) Cheers, Hankster

Philywebrider ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 7:06 AM

file_73161.jpg

In the manual shows an icon on the right hand side of each window, Top, Side, and Front. My views of View, have no icon. Where did it go? The icon has a drop window that lists, "Maxinize/Restore, Wireframe box, Flat Shaded, Smooth Shaded, Show Fog, Density from atamosphere, Adjust for Fog Density, Light from scene". My answer from gebe was; "These icons can only be seen when OpenGL is enabled (File-->Options-->Enable OpenGL. If OpenGL is disabled, you have wireframe anyhow." If I enable OPenGl I can get "the Maxinize/Restore, Wireframe box, Flat Shaded, Smooth Shaded, Show Fog, Density from atamosphere, Adjust for Fog Density, Light from scene" icon and pull down list, But I can't see the model. If I disable open GL the model is fine but the "the Maxinize/Restore, Wireframe box, Flat Shaded, Smooth Shaded, Show Fog, Density from atamosphere, Adjust for Fog Density, Light from scene" icon pull down list disappears. :O( Would enabling-disabling the open GL as required for doing a picture, hurt Vue? I'll check E-on for any additional patches. I did the attached image without openGL.

hein ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 7:27 AM

Nope, won't hurt VUE

BigGreenFurryThing ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 12:48 PM

Spent a couple of fun packed days trying something out. I have 4 boxes each with different mobo's. Three have GeForce cards (v0, v3, v4) and one has a Radeon 9800. OS's are 98SE, W2K, XP Home & XP Pro. CPU are varied too. I have tried every combination of BIOS, driver and config setting I can think of inc. nVidia reference drivers and swapping cards between boxes. There's no way I can get consisent OpenGL performance with Vue 4 on any combination of the above. Also reading this thread, and earlier ones in the Vue forum, it seems that there is no mobo / graphics card combination that is guaranteed to work. I have taken to Vue in a big way recently but let's face facts here: ATi and nVidia are the market leading cards so if Vue doesn't work with them then the fault lies with E-On not our hardware. Case of the tail wagging the dog....

Cheers,
Mark

Philywebrider ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 4:33 PM

The HMS Victory has too many sails, flags etc. Apparently I have both Hi-res and Lo-res versions flying. Hankster called it to my attention, (thank you). Can anyone tell me how to delete/hide them? I know to click on Victory, and a drop down menu lists the files, from then on I'm stuck.

sirkrite ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 6:11 PM

Philywebrider; You can find out what parts are what in the readme file. Select what part you want to get rid of from the drop down and hit the delete key on your keyboard.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.