Thu, Oct 3, 4:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Automatically applying materials to alternateGeom?

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 1:05 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 1:18 AM

I have set up a figure with several sets of alternate geometry. This works - to my utter surprise! :) But, where does one put the material channels to load in the material settings when an alternate geometry is selected. I put the materials in the Figure section, but that had no effect. Should I use customMaterial/material in the Actor section for this to work? Thanks, Kuroyume0161

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 10:02 AM

It does work in the Figure section, I just didn't realize that I had to edit the CR2 with Poser not running to have the changes stick. Slowly, but surely, this is making more sense. And to those in the Poser forum recently who say that "Alternate geometries" are not a Poser feature, hmmm. The alternateGeom and geomChan sections are part of the CR2 standard. Poser handles these as a fundamental part of the CR2 process during load and the functions work within Poser without internal or external "tweaks". I'd call that a FEATURE!!

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

maclean ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2003 at 3:52 PM

If you edit the cr2 with poser open, save the edited file, then re-open the new edited figure in poser, the changes should have taken effect. Some changes require deletion of the geometry .rsr, but usually only uv mapping modifications or changes to the geometry of the obj itself. Anyway, well done. I've been following your progress and you seem to be getting on fine. But it's frustrating at times, isn't it? LOL. mac

ToolmakerSteve ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2003 at 12:50 AM

When I'm editing a CR2, I do two things to make sure I get the changes: First and most important, I delete ALL objects from the scene that use the CR2 - I was hoping to compare two different versions of the same object, without bothering to change the CR2 name each time, but if one object is already open in the Poser scene, asking to load another apparently just clones the one already in memory. Of course "File/New" is one way to get rid of all such objects - but that won't help with a multi-object scene. IMPORTANT: The Poser scene file COPIES the information from all CR2's that are loaded. Any changes to a CR2 WON'T AFFECT ALREADY MADE SCENES. This is either a good thing, or a horrible thing, depending on what you had in mind. GEOMETRY OBJ's are different - if you change an obj, and then re-load a scene, the new geometry is loaded. Basically, a scene file (pz3) is like a giant cr2 file - it contains REFERENCES to all the obj's, rather than storing all the obj's inside of itself. Second (and usually not needed), I click on a different folder within Figures library, and then click back on the folder I really want. I do this in case I had added or deleted any files from that folder while I was messing around outside Poser - otherwise Poser gets confused about which file is which. I have deduced that while a given library folder is open, it "remembers" which is the "third" cr2 (for example) it saw in the directory - if another cr2 file is added earlier in the alphabet, such that the one I want to load is now the "fourth" one shown, it will load the wrong one. Craziness.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.