Fri, Sep 20, 10:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Best way to build interiors?

jabbiati ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 12:38 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:34 AM

Hey all... If my goal is to build the interior to a big room, like a temple interior (including stained glass. etc.), what is the best way to construct it? I started with creating a big box, put a light in it, textured it, but I couldn't get a window hole to work using booleans (at least when viewed from the inside). Is there a standard way most people build interiors? Intersecting squares, plains, other?? Thanks in advance J

padawanNick ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 1:04 PM

One thing you are likely to find is that their is rarely a "standard" way of doing anything. Thats part of what makes all this both "art" and "fun" !!! Personally, I tend to use seperate cubes or latice objects for walls. Latice's are nice in that you don't need to use Booleans to make holes and you can have complete control over the surface shape, but the flipside is that they suck up memory and rendering calculation time. Unless the wall is very far away, I would avoid 2D squares or plains for walls, since any window openings will lack depth. (Note: All the walls in my GrandCorridor images are just Bryce cubes with procedural textures and boolean cutouts.) Hope this helps. Have fun!

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 2:04 PM

Like PadawanNick says, people do it diferent ways. I even do it different ways for different pictures.

In Gallery it's a cube with negative cubes for the windows and the skylight, but in Room the window is so big that I built around it with cubes.

Obviously, I don't know how you've done it, but if you are going to use the cube method, you have to hollow it out with a slightly smaller negative cube and then negative cubes for the window holes.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 2:40 PM

Paint your lattice shapes in your regular paint program, then import them into the terrain editor. No booleans necessary. You can even paint brick or stones into your walls while you are at it.

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 4:18 PM

I prefer using individual cubes for walls and literally "building" the house one piece at a time. IMO a house built in a way that is similar to a real house will look the best and prove the most versatile.

JC_01 ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 6:23 PM

I've done both ways....lol A cube for a room, and cubes flattened to a thin wall for each wall... LOL before i knew how to make booleans, I even used the cubes around the window way...lol play with it, experiment, and you may even find another way yet...grins

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 7:01 PM

Attached Link: http://www.wings3d.com

If you're willing to expand your horizons a bit (oh no, here he goes again..;), you can build just about any building using Wings 3d..just finished a contest on it, in fact..here's where to get it. Stop by our forum, and let the fun begin..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 7:22 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=194918

I've done all of these ways, as well, I prefer MadMax's method, of building a house one piece at a time. If you're using Bryce-native primitives, it won't be too tedious of a file, no matter how big you build it, until you introduce the textures of course! The link goes to my Black tower castle, which I never finished, but is sitting awaiting a matching background scene... Although this is an exterior shot, it's all I have around here at work, and is ALL booleans. Note the underwork on the suspended bridges to the side-towers. this kind of architecture isn't very structurally sound, but was fun to make. Point is, this entire keep setup was designed from the inside out, and is floored, and can be used for inside shots as well.

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 7:26 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1495554

But i realize that doesn't help your question, much, so here's alink to a small hut I made. The wireframe will show that the model is, indeed, sound from the inside as well, and could be used for either shot. This model is totally different, and not without reason. I used Rhinoceros for the modeling instead of Bryce. There are no booleans. It renders terribly fast, as a result. I'm also working on the inside of a Daedric shrine, I'll post the WIP for ya in a bit, jabbiati.

Beanzvision ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 11:16 PM

I will always build bit by bit.

jabbiati ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 6:55 AM

As always, thanks for all the help! This forum is one of the best I've ever been a member of... and that's saying something!

jabbiati ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 7:00 AM

... and, pakled - I already have Wings3D. I'm also fiddling with which external modeler I want to spend my time learning - figuring there will be things I'd like to do that Bryce won't be able to handle. I'm also looking at a free version of Cinema4D plus other free versions out there. shadowdragonlord - Nice tower! I particularly like the concept of interior and exterior shots from the same model. others - thanks! I think I'll go with the multiple cubes method. I'm guessing thats going to give me more flexibiliy, especially in terms of texturing. Cheers!

pidjy ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 9:03 AM

file_81893.jpg

IMHO I prefer using terrains and grey map.. you can easely get something like this ( on the pic) without any boolean operation, and with only 1 terrain!

pidjy ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 9:05 AM

yes it's a bit "shity" (french accent) .. but I made it fast just for the exemple. LOL

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 12:00 PM

niiice..I got the free C4d..just haven't had 5 minutes to do more than play with the primitives (I did print out the 1,100 pages of manual and tutorials, so I don't have that excuse..looks like fun. Before I had Wings, I'd just take a 2d plane and expand it to cover the camera view, then texture to fit..but that's kind of simplistic for something like this. Good luck.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 9:15 PM

file_81894.jpg

Here's a quick interior I've been working at. Could turn into a bathroom, or a bedroom... All done with Booleans, and an external light for the luminosity. Just a quickie, to show you what's possible. The hard part is that I build real windows for a living, and matching that complexity is tedious, and considering the window is such a small part of the scene, uneccesary... All Bryce 4, no postwork yet.

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 9:36 PM

file_81895.jpg

Here's just a quick wireframe... Note the door hinges, they are linked correctly, so that rotating the door at all moves it properly. Next up I'll make the latch assembly "work"... Although I think this door is way too thick!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.