Fri, Sep 20, 3:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Change To Gallery Uploads & The New "Gallery Plus"

miyu ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 3:18 PM

because some images have a certain meaning to the artist even if they aren't the most popular images..

sophielerlei ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 4:19 PM

ok, i deleted the biggest part of my gallery and ... oops... it's getting faster! lol ;-). i understand that r'osity gets nothing from my postings here, and that i get nothing from posting here either... so if someone misses some of my fractals, they are at http://zazzle.com (all comments are welcome there too :-)) where i get a check every month for the posters and cards i can sell there. it's a really good thing with this money, i send it all to the children's hunger relief fund. sorry for not having noticed earlier that i am just a weight for this server. :-(

Flak ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 5:58 PM

qaryon said "why not to automaticaly delete that images which after N days have less then X views and/or less then Y comments and/or less then Z rankings ?" Another reason for not doing this is that you'd cull every one of the galleries that doesn't have a high viewing rate, which would be pretty unfair, and would also not have much effect on the bandwidth used (cos those images aren't getting viewed much). Thinking about it, maybe they could lessen the bandwidth by removing all the images with high viewing rates ;) (this suggestion of mine is not to be taken seriously - its a joke)

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

hmatienzo ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 6:49 PM

sophielerlei, I hope you were kidding because I happen to LIKE your images!

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

geneb19 ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 10:26 PM

[image of R'osity with gun pointed at foot] 'cause that's just what you're doin'! shooting yourself in your proverbial foot. it isn't a question of bandwidth. it isn't a question of heavy usage. it isn't a question of too many images. it's most definitely a question of poor network administration, bad software and greed. R'osity isn't "giving" us anything. we on the other hand are providing them with a means of making money. it's not out of the goodness of their heart that they allow us to post. we post, others view and in the process R'osity sells its wares and peddles to the merchants who sell thru them. i worked for 5 years as a sys admin on a 65,000 user network. yes...that number has the correct amount of zero's. we were the 2nd largest Novell network in the world...2nd only to the U. S. Dept. of Defense. so i know what it's like to have heavy usage. as of 10:45 local time, there are 1363 users on R'osity. a 5 blade server "farm" and proper bandwidth could put this site in the stratosphere...if R'osity would spring for the money to do it.

you folks of course do what you think best for yourself. i think it's time to wave bye bye. i've made some great friends here and will remain in contact with them regardless of my status online. been real, been fun...take care one and all. censorship just isn't my cup of tea. and for monetary reasons to boot.

cynlee ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 12:17 AM

sigh bye gene :[ keep in touch

geneb19 ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 12:23 AM

you're not lucky enough to get rid of me that easily Cyn. lol love ya and great big hugs...gene

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 12:50 AM

I haven't had time to read this entire thread so if this is addressed above, please just give me a nice hat to wear while I get banished again to the JarJar corner (his tongue keeps slapping the one remaining hair on my head and I'm not fast enough to grab it). I have had this happen ... upload an image and there's a problem. Either technical connection glitch or I just grabbed the wrong file. If so, am I done for the day or can I get it loaded after deleting the erroneous upload? Maybe after a deletion the counter resets? Or maybe I can get a sympathetic mod to assist? Otherwise, I am very delighted at the change. Good idea. Glad to see some wisdom in this. I especially like the paid deal for the mass production type users.

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 12:54 AM

"I also support this change in policy. Renderosity is already generous as it is, as regards the galleries." I couldn't agree more. I've lived in towns that don't have 3d mags at the store, and don't have graphics at community colleges. I learned all I know about 3d from the forums and helpful people here and it hasn't cost me tens of thousands!!! Osity is the most visited place I go on the net at home. "There's no place like home, there's no place like home." Good job. Best wishes. Keep at it!

Hypernaut ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 5:33 AM

I think uploading 1 image a day (to gain speed performance) is fine, but I also understand peoples' need to upload more pics a day as they can't spread their upload over several days. So a 7-pics/week limitation would be much more practical then 1-pic/day. Folks think about it: this is 365 pics per year - and now think honest and reasonable - who produces so much ???!!! Nobody - at least not if that stuff is at least mediocre... Paying for extras is ok for me (although I have no way to do so via internet), but I think it's the wrong direction to limit the number of gallery images, cuz art is not measureable an we would loose a lot of art, ideas, impressions and inspirations !!!

Renderosity Staff
2D Forum Moderator
Arts&Crafts Moderator

-:] Vision is nothing without skill - skill is nothing without vision ! [:-

-:] Regeln sind für Diejenigen, die es nicht besser wissen ! [:-

ShadowWind ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 6:14 AM

Art can be done quickly and not be mediocre. Photography, fractals, 2D, Terragen, etc, all can have rather quick times of production, but does not mean that their art is mediocre at all. Just doesn't take a week to setup and render like we have in the 3D world. So it is possible to still be a great artist and produce that much. People do it all the time.

ShadowWind ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 6:16 AM

Actually Eric, I had that same question after doing it last night...

sophielerlei ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 9:17 AM

hmatienzo, yes it was a joke... the server did not really get faster because i deleted some of my images ;-). but i did not delete them all... and surely will upload some new ones. but not as much as before, because it is also true that renderosity sells no more prints since a long time and so i can get nothing from posting fractals here. i don't see any reason to pay for just share images. this brings nothing at all. and i also agree with miche. it will not bring more space or less traffic, and it will also not bring any money IMO, it can only bring more galleries because it is easy to sign up with a few nicknames to avoid the payment for more than one upload per day. i have my own homepage with free server space and no advertising, i know some other good places to post fractals. and for me it's not really necessary to post here with a bad feeling of "sophielerlei is always too much".... i don't want to say goodbye and all this... we just will see how it comes further. i'm not away, and you know now where you find my work, even to buy for your home if you want :-)

sophielerlei ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 9:28 AM

oh, and THANKS for the compliment! :-) thanks for taking the time to look in my gallery. it is smaller now, but still there :-)

Poisen ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 2:21 PM

its funny,,i dont think this is going to solve the speed problem at all..dont see how it could..renderosity is slow as all get out recently, and im not just talking about checking the galleries, i dont have the patience or inclination to be at a site that takes 5 minutes to load a page,if it works at all..usuall takes about 3 clicks on a link to even get it to go through be it galleries,marketplace or forums, its "all" SLOW. and as a merchant its kind of hard to justify my time and effort to produce products, when for 50% of my sales i cant even get decent representaion. the gallery limits thing is fine, but it does nothing to address the real problems with this place. as far as im concerned another tree just fell in the forest..and still no one heard it.

qaryon ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 2:56 PM

"because some images have a certain meaning to the artist even if they aren't the most popular images.. " - answered miyu at my proposition (why not to automaticaly delete that images which after N days have less then X views and/or less then Y comments and/or less then Z rankings ?) well, i think thet the place for that images witch "have a certain meaning [only] to the artist" is not here, in a public place

cryptojoe ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 3:14 PM

I may be up to that $5 a month even if I don't use the service. I am really suprised that membership to Renderosity is free!

No SPAM. Open Forums where users can post messages with pictures till their hearts content, I don't know how you do it?

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

tafkat ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 3:57 PM

At last! Just a pity it comes at a time when I can only visit the site a couple of times a week. Better late than never, though ;) I don't mind paying for services - I pay at GFX and digitalart - but I won't be paying for this one simply because I'll never need to upload 3 images in a day. It's not an unreasonable request for those that want to, however. Despite what the people say, there aren't many quality sites where you get a similar service for free (e.g. digitalart you can wait weeks for your images to be approved unless you're Premium, Epilogue is difficult to get approved whether you donate or not, GFX you have to host your own images unless you pay, etc.) One image a day is plenty. That last person who told me he could do 3 quality images in a day was Legume, and look what happened to him...

Mercytoo ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 12:45 AM

Spit ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 6:28 AM

Well, for all you folks that think one can't complete three images in a day, yer wrong. I often work on several scenes at once. I choose which ones I'm satisfied enough with to upload here then sign and jpg them and upload. Doesn't mean I'd upload 3 per day 7 days a week. I'm not screaming for the limit to be reinstituted. It's merely an inconvenience. I'm certainly not going to pay to upload more than one a day. That's nuts. But I'm not sure this new policy will have the effect planned. I think there are actually VERY FEW who upload 3 images a day 7 days a week.

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 6:54 AM

wow thats an improvement, uploading 7 images a week, or do you have to upload 1 image a day to get that quotum of 7 images a week ... and tresamie is right, it's always money money money ... time to make a free art site LOL oh but there are more sites where you can upload art for free smile and i am sure many members will just go away ... and i bet, you can only pay with a creditcard ...

Spit ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 7:27 AM

Huh? I don't upload even 7 images a week. It's just that when I DO upload, which isn't all that often, I may upload 2 or 3 at once. I was only uploading about 12 a MONTH.

Mivan ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 8:35 AM

My upload method is to upload the image first with necessary comments etc., and then after the image is placed to hit the 'edit' button and upload the thumb. The reason for this lengthy procedure is when I first started my gallery earlier this year my uploads were highly pixelated and distorted. After querying several forums it was suggested that I try the separate upload method. I don't know if the conflict with the software was ever resolved but I continue to use the lengthy procedure which results in spending twice as much time online for each image. Mivan

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 9:45 AM

After listening to folks and reading all of this thread... I would prefer the 7 per week.. same number of images, but but more freedom for the artists on how to display their work.. I don't have a problem with limits.. Image and file size limits could be trimmed somewhat as well in my opinion..

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

simdragon ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 9:45 AM

Hm...I'm not going to pay $5 to continue doing what I've already been allowed to do, which is upload 3 images a day if I had 3 images to upload. But, one image a day isn't all that bad, so it's not really a problem for me. Also nice to see that several others believe in weeding out their galleries. I weed mine out ever so often (have a good look at it every 2 weeks or so), something I started during the 10% byebye debacle. I'm someone who has their own domain(s), so I have a place to put my older graphics. http://dragondigitalis.com , if anyone's interested. If you are thinking about getting space of your own, and don't want to deal with forced advertising from free sites, check out http://drylinehosting.com . Check my homepage for a coupon.

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 10:13 AM

just hope that the uploads aren't user dependent for some designers use just one computer to upload their art ... and if you have uploaded a design which isn't commented that much, you can always edit it and upload a different one, without having the restrictions of 1 image a day smile

cynlee ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 10:28 AM

i always upload 3 at a time in the photo gallery but only once a week, if that... i like to work out a storyline or series... 7 a week sounds better to me :]

marcusbacus ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 4:09 PM

It won't make any sense if we have less uploads per week but at the same time, the number of visitors increase, this will stress the server anyway. A bad excuse (in the sense that it's not the only factor that causes the server stress) was used to justify the fees, but it is necessary, it's to keep the site alive. "It's definitely something new. I wonder what Rubens, Cezanne, Dali or Warhol would have said if somebody told them about a place where 90,000 artists gather?" I don't know what the others would say, but Warhol probably would say "Nevermind if you can't see all these 90,000 artists works. In 15 minutes we will have some new 90,000 artists".

slinger ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 5:59 PM

I wish I had the damn time to make ONE half decent image per day, let alone 3. ~lol~

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

kansas ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 6:09 PM

One image per day is fine. No fees. Keep it free. I agree with others who said to clean up their gallery. I did that just this morning--got rid of a great number of my old images. I already pay to have all my images on Webshots. I don't get the many comments there, but I sure get lots of views. Question: Does this have something to do with the legislation about internet taxation? I think the moritorium that was placed on internet taxing will be up tomorrow. I believe this taxation issue is not just for taxing internet sales. I believe it is much broader.

kansas ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 6:09 PM

One image per day is fine. No fees. Keep it free. I agree with others who said to clean up their gallery. I did that just this morning--got rid of a great number of my old images. I already pay to have all my images on Webshots. I don't get the many comments there, but I sure get lots of views. Question: Does this have something to do with the legislation about internet taxation? I think the moritorium that was placed on internet taxing will be up tomorrow. I believe this taxation issue is not just for taxing internet sales. I believe it is much broader. kansas (Marion)

STORM3 ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2003 at 7:05 PM

The Future:

Feb 2004: Due to pressure on severs Free Gallery Uploads limited to 3 Images per week.

April 2004: Due to pressure on severs Free Gallery Uploads limited to 1 Image per week.

June 2004: New in the RMP "Unlimited Gallery Viewing Licence" for 1 year, "just $5".
All other members limited to viewing 200 images per week!

Yah 'dat's commerce!!!!!!

I love the smell of money.

Lyne ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 12:13 PM

Interesting.... uploading... bandwidth... seems to me (but I am only on the outside looking in) that the site slows down relative to the number of logged in members...now if the number of people logged in is over 2000, the site crawls (even on DSL)... but never considered that this might be because people are UPLOADING so many images when I am just visiting & looking at the gallery images. But I guess the "worker bees" behind the scenes know.. and I hope that the upload limit does help speed up the site. I love to visit the galleries but have no time to wait a full minute while my art comment is posted or for pages to change. That really spoils the little bits of time I have to visit the galleries! I DID upload three a day.. BUT only once every 2-3 weeks! I would do several images and then just make one 'upload visit' at a time... Knowing the limit, I will still be creating art the way I do (in between commercial projects) but will remember to just do one a day, three days in a row I suppose.. no problem. I just hope that one way or another the site can keep it's speed with the ever growing membership! I guess only time will tell if the upload limit allows for an increase in speed... then MORE time will tell if enough members want to spend the $$ that may help financialy with the bandwidth limits..

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 4:50 PM

I get the feeling that the main problem here is either the servers need renewing or the programmers need to improve the code used on the site. Recently there have been people logging in and finding they are logged in as someone else, this suggests that there is severe problems with the code. The one good thing with the code problem was the recent increase in numbers viewing images in the gallery. It was lovely to see that I had 900 people look at one of my images, although the one which said I had 5 comments and no viewing was a bit dubious. lol 8) Catlin

MakinMagic ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 6:14 PM

Just a suggestion: Still limit the maximum uploads per week to 7, but allow a maximum uploads per day of 3, that way the overall bandwidth reduction should still be as great but members have slightly more flexiblity - especially for those folks who don't often get chance to upload.

The Meaning and Purpose of Life is to give Life Purpose and Meaning. http://website.lineone.net/~dave_makin/

Zodo ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 7:35 PM

How about every member has a gallery limit of 12 or 24 submissions. When they reach the limit they have to delete something to post another. I know some people feel they need to post 3 Victorias with blank stares a day, that can be done as long as they have 3 empty slots. As for getting that member's last dollar in Renderosity's pocket, charge for extra gallery pages. Say everybody starts with 12, and charge whatever for extra pages of 12 or such. The crap will still flow steady, but at least it won't get all piled up as much.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 8:05 PM

I like MakinMagic's idea. I've never actually created three images in one day. But I tend to upload all at once, when I'm in the mood. I've been a member of Rosity for over a year, and only have 20 images in my gallery, so it's not like I upload a lot. But when I do, it's usually several at once. Or it was.

RNKarenER ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 11:09 PM

Well, I bought the 3 per day.. and it still wont let me upload!! grrrrrrrrrrrrr.. going off to take my 5 bucks back!

Mercytoo ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 11:28 PM

I don't mean to be rude or anything, just making an observation. I was under the impression that the gallery changes were to help speed up the server. The past two days have been much worse on my end. I have DSL and there have been long periods of time when I can not even access the site at all. It just times out while trying to load. I'm sure it will take time to get the glitches worked out, but I certainly hope this change will in the long run pay off. Liz

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 5:12 AM

Liz, I agree - it's been worse, not better, in the speed department. Last night, Rosity was completely unavailable for me from just before 10pm on. Maybe it will calm down with time, but in the short term, I have a feeling the tighter limit is actually increasing uploads. Just like shortages make people rush out to buy and hoard stuff they don't need, people are now rushing to upload their daily pic, just in case they regret not doing it later.

diana ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:19 AM

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they limited the uploads to one per week and only allowed the images to stay 90 days. There's way too much to look at already. I hate to visit the galleries because it is overwhelming.

ynsaen ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 12:21 PM

um, wow. not that I matter much, having far too little belief in my own self importance, but I'm brave enough to venture my feeble minded thoughts on the issue: eh. No big deal. hmmm. yeah, that about sums it up. :)

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

BlueBeard ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 2:06 PM

Could you make it easier for us to delete our old images? Say put a check box next to each image when we view our gallery and you could check all that you want deleted, and hit a delete button at the bottom. IF it was faster and easier, I am sure that I would (and others) be more in tune to purging our old gallery. And the reason that we haven't is that it is too much of a pain to sort through some of our older stuff!

tafkat ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 4:26 PM

"Could you make it easier for us to delete our old images? Say put a check box next to each image when we view our gallery and you could check all that you want deleted, and hit a delete button at the bottom." I suggested this a while back, on the home page image list, because I wanted to clean out one of my galleries, but I think the idea got lost in the ether. Reducing image and thumb size limits would speed up the site, I reckon. For a start off, I vote we limit the size of all VIATWAS images to 10K.

max- ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 10:58 AM

Funny, I saw this coming about 2 years ago when I suggested a voluntary limit on uploads. Just because it's a "virtual world" on here does not mean it's infinite. Can you imagine if this was a real world gallery? It would require a 900 million dollar building with 15 million square feet and growing. Perhaps another solution may be to limit everyone's gallery space to 200 or 400 images.

"An Example is worth Ten Thousand Words"

catlin_mc ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 4:41 PM

With all the supposed improvement going on around here cn anyone tell me why it is becoming even more difficult to open pages?, ie. getting page not found, SQL overload even when there aren't too many people online and when pages do open they take forever. There have been times over the past couple of weeks when I've had to go elsewhere because this site was just unuseable, and it's getting worse daily. I'm not the only one here either that is having these problems and most of these folk are connecting from Europe. It appears that what you have done has slowed down the site rather than speed it up. 8( Catlin

Mercytoo ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 4:57 PM

I'm not in Europe and I still have problems. I'm in the states and I do agree that things have been getting worse. But I am hopeful that these things are only temporary. Though, in the mean time, I'm sure some of the other sites apprecieate my business as well when I need something and can't log in here to buy it.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 10:42 PM

This is getting to be rediculous...Im now on SAT...running most times faster than T1...until I come here...then I have to wait longer actually for a page to load than I was waiting when I had dialup :(

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

JurgenDoe ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 9:55 PM

I agree with Miyu in post # 34 and she said it all :) Spend more time on the images and one upload per day is way enough :)

Strength Is Life, Weakness Is Death

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.