Fri, Sep 20, 9:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: 10 Minute Challenge

Kixum ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 7:48 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:29 AM

file_83052.jpg

Based on the very cool image of the Christmas ornaments posted just a few threads down, I thought it would be cool to post a 10 minute challenge to make an image using a Christmas ball! Here's mine. -Kix

-Kix

Parkie ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 1:34 AM

file_83053.jpg

Well it took a little longer than 10 minutes as I am a little new to carrara.

Cheers
Neil

res1yfb1 ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 1:50 AM

file_83054.jpg

well this looked fun to do so i did this real fast. Kirk Saavedra

TOXE ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 4:50 AM

file_83056.jpg

in this period i have much fun with NPR (you had understood?;-) TOXE

falconperigot ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 7:09 AM

file_83057.jpg

On reflection, a fun challenge!

TOXE ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 7:32 AM

hehe, looks good:-)

Kixum ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 12:56 PM

These are all looking great! -Kix

-Kix

sfdex ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 3:58 PM

file_83058.jpg

OK, here's mine! I miss these ten minute challenges. (The environment took considerably longer than 10 minutes, but I'd built it a long time ago. Just thought there should be some story in the image -- at work, decorating the cubicle....) Ho ho ho!

FWTempest ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2003 at 10:54 AM

file_83060.jpg

my contribution... actually, I probably spent about 45 minutes on this one, primarily working on the Christmas lights... still learning what C3 can do. I spent so long exporting models out of C1.1 into Bryce to render, that the new C3 rendering engine is a simply amazing to me... still much to learn

azul3d ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2003 at 11:28 AM

file_83061.jpg

This one replaces my original entry which had some, should I say, physical inaccuracies. I just rotated the ornaments so that they are actually lying on the floor. This one took around 25 minutes to model and render. Rendered with one light, soft shadows, an image as a reflection map and a texture map for the floor.

azul3d ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2003 at 11:30 AM

file_83062.jpg

This is the same scene as above, but using global illumination.

sailor_ed ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2003 at 6:13 PM

file_83063.jpg

Well, I didn't make the 10 minutes either. After I figured out how to do it the image took about 45 including the render.

So what else is there to do when Renderosity is down? LOL

bluetone ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2003 at 8:55 PM

How did you do that!? Is there a texture in the tranparency channel that gives the 'broken shard' look? Can you give a snapshot of your shader?

sailor_ed ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2003 at 10:19 PM

Bluetone, You got it. I made two Xmas ornaments each with the same trans map (A jagged edge black on one side). Then I just inverted (black to white)the trans map on one of the ornaments to change it into the second piece. Actually each Xmas ball itself consists of two balls nested together. This is how you get the inside and outside shaders different. Hope that explains it. If not I'll work up a screen shot.

bluetone ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2003 at 8:03 AM

Very cool! I was wondering about the inside shader. The other thought I had besides 2 balls was if you could, in the VM, set the inside of an object to different shader domains then the outside. Thanx!

sailor_ed ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2003 at 8:29 AM

Bluetone, I couldn't figure how to do that. You would need to have control over both sides of a polygon.

Kixum ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2003 at 4:37 PM

Excellent solution! -Kix

-Kix

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.