Thu, Sep 19, 5:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: ~~~~~ November Poser Monthly Challenge Theme... Wings ~~~~

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 11:05 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 9:32 AM

I'll get the entry page up over the weekend or sooner. Here's our theme for November. Use this thread for questions. From RNKarenER "Let Your Soul Take Wing" An image with any poser character( people, or animal) with wings on it. They can be painted on or rendered in poser itself, but a set of wings must be present. I say, let your soul take wing and show us how your mind sees wings!! An angel, a devel, a bird, faery, wherever your imagination takes you, but Wings must be there! Rember the no nudity/violence rules and please remember 800x600 pixels by 150k.

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 11:06 PM

There are a ton of wing sets in the freestuff here at Renderosity. Obviously, imported models and postwork are OK.

zai ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 2:26 AM

Oh Man....anything but wings! Sharkey's always try to render wierd for me....half black even though I fixed the normals thingy for P5. OK....I will give it a shot....no laughing when I have funky clunky wings!

Rendo Store | Freebies | RDNA Store

catlin_mc ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 2:32 PM

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this Poser thingy so I may just have to enter this one. 8) Catlin

geoegress ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 5:04 PM

aww man- and I just posted the winning entry-

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 7:53 PM

Attached Link: http://www.apophysis.org/

file_83076.jpg

Zai, there are other wings in the free stuff here and although I haven't checked, there might be some at runtimeDNA. Seems to me there is a free set of something useful in the DAZ3d freebie section as well. Catlin mc, welcome to the other side. Glad to see you here. geoegress, well, now you get to really make it better and go for the glory. For those of you without any wings (sob, sob) you can fake it with a good fractal program and postwork. Here's how... Go get Apophysis at the link above and generate your fractal image that might just look like wings... Open the image in Photoshop or whatever you have, create a double size workspace and layer your image in there, then a second layer with the flip horizontal control. Position them like wings. Use that as a backdrop. If you can't use apophysis, just go draw something in GIMP and use the flame fractal filters to shape your drawing into a wing and double it up.

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 7:55 PM

file_83077.jpg

Then stick a figure in there and work the lighting.

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 7:59 PM

And of course, if you have a bird in Poser you can use the heirarchy editor to ditch the body and head and leave just the wings for your Posette.

RNKarenER ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 8:23 PM

Eric is right, the theme is " Let your soul take Wing" You may use any poser product, freebie.. as long as whatever you make has wings! I would love to see a new version of a car with wings! ( kidding) Your entry can be human or animal!!! Or anything else that you can add wings too! Sooooooooooooo Let your soul take flight and have a blast! karen

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 9:29 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/contest.ez?contest_id=256

Page is up. I'm sure Kevin will be linking in a few days.

Varian ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2003 at 4:53 PM

Attached Link: Poser wings

Graphic list of several feathered wings models. Some commercial, some free.

Paulric ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2003 at 11:01 AM

I was just wondering if it matters that my characters are not V3 or M3 - I only have the older P4 characters right now. Will this be held against me if I submit an entry? Thanks, Paul

FirstBlueMoon ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2003 at 12:24 PM

I know it says voting will take place in a special thread here in the forum, but if it is, then why is a vote link being placed under every picture before all the pictures are up to choose from?

Ciorstaidh ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2003 at 5:12 PM

Hi, I am new to Poser, was wondering about this contest though. It says that the wings can be done in Poser or another program, but final render has to be Poser.

My question is.....if I make a character in Poser and draw wings on in PSP...how...do I get it back in Poser for final render? Or is that not what you mean at all? ~laughs~ God I feel stupid when it comes to this community and this program! Thanks.

Paulric ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 10:23 AM

Ciorstaidh,

Postwork comes after the final render, so if you render in Poser and then do any touch-ups in PSP, the final render is still in Poser. I think this was stated so that you could not pose the figures in Poser then import them into, say, Bryce for a final render with Bryce scenery and lighting.

Hope this helps.

Ciorstaidh ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 5:34 PM

Thank you for answering. As I said, I'm new, so feel kinda lost and not sure if I should ask or just keep watching everything.

:-)

WildPepsiChild ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 5:40 PM

Ciorstaidh, I think from the example given, you can create a pair of wings in PSP or photoshop and then save that as an image. Then you import that image into Poser from the File/Import/Bacground Image option. Then you can pose your character against your 'background wings' :-)

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 20 November 2003 at 8:31 PM

Hey, sorry about not checking in sooner. Paulric, You certainly can use P4 figures. In fact, the rules are written so that the theme cannot "require" the V or M models because not everyone has them. Its ok to use them of course (unless some future theme limits the models). The way we did it is to make the challenge available for any version of Poser and not lock anyone out because they don't have something. Regardless of what version you have, you should always be able to enter the challenge. As for being held against you, no. Its a public vote and a well done posette could easily outdo V or M in my humble opinion. FirstBlueMoon, I think the voting link was activated by mistake and I believe that has been fixed now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Ciorstaidh, paulric pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you draw the wings in postwork that's just dandy. If you bring the models into Vue or Bryce or whatnot and render there, that's not ok. We're all a little lost and most of us are new to the program as well. Just dive in. I'll let you know by IM if there is any adjustments that need to be made. Also, you can post a WIP in forum and ask for advice and make adjustments before uploading if you like. Its about learning, and that's a great way to learn. WildPepsiChild, that works too. You can either bring in a backdrop or take your rendered image to postwork and paint away. The only thing I would say though to postwork is that some painting is fine, but if you are just using an alpha chanel of your model in PS compositing it onto a Bryce or LW image, etc, then I think that defeats the purspose. If you don't know what I mean by alpha chanel from Poser and compositing, then don't sweat it. That is a lot of work and the folks who do that are well aware of what they are up to. Ok, hope this helps.

Thorne ( ) posted Thu, 20 November 2003 at 11:15 PM

QUOTE = "Ciorstaidh" "My question is.....if I make a character in Poser and draw wings on in PSP...how...do I get it back in Poser for final render? Or is that not what you mean at all? ~laughs~ God I feel stupid when it comes to this community and this program! Thanks." You can download either set of my FREE Universal Wings from the DAZ free archive section and put your image directly on the texture template. Create a white silhouette of the wings on a black background as well, and apply this as a transparency map in Poser. This allows the wings to take shadows and be rendered directly in any position on the back of your character, even with the character's back turned so that the wings are facing the camera- something you cannot do with a background image. The BG image is a good idea too though, and a trick I have used before ;o)

Ciorstaidh ( ) posted Thu, 20 November 2003 at 11:57 PM

Thank you Thorne.....it is appreciated!

Ciorstaidh ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2003 at 12:13 AM

Also...thank you to Paulric, WildPepsiChild and EricofSD for your suggestions and help.

I do have one other quick question, EricofSD said...

"Also, you can post a WIP in forum and ask for advice and make adjustments before uploading if you like."

Uhmmm....what does WIP mean? :-)

Neyjour ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2003 at 3:37 AM

Ciorstaidh, WIP stands for "Work In Progress". You post an intial stage (or unfinished piece) to get help and suggestions from others, then post your next stage, etc., etc., until you have a final image you're happy with. :)

"You don't know what we can see
Why don't you tell your dreams to me
Fantasy will set you free." - Steppenwolf

Ciorstaidh ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 12:14 PM

Thanks Neyjour. :-)

Now for my next question. I posted my entry 2 days ago...how long does it normally take to be approved as part of the challenge entries? EricofSD I guess that question really is to you. I haven't got an IM saying that I did it wrong, so was just wondering.

simdragon ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 7:42 PM

I'm wondering about the last, too. I entered an image around 2pm today, and was wondering if it was going to be checked before the deadline tonight?

simdragon ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 9:35 PM

In regards to my post above, thank you, EricofSD. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.