Tue, Oct 22, 5:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 11:30 am)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce's Standard Crystal Material Preset

paulbrittgarcia ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2003 at 8:56 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 3:48 AM

Im trying to make crystal glass plates with etchings on them! I have no problem making the actual etched plates. My problem arises when I apply the standard crystal preset to the item and render. The item picks up too much reflected color off the the surroundings (ie. ground / sky / objects / etc) If I change the reflectivity or specularity either one of 2 things happens: Either the object disappears or turns white QUESTION: How can I render crystal objects so they appear as crystal objects! Britt

Slakker ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2003 at 8:59 PM

Maybe try a different glass texture, i don't know what you're really talking about without seeing an example, but i don't know that there really is anything you can do, short of making a new texture.

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2003 at 10:00 PM

lower refraction levels will pick up less color. leave reflection at zero for all glass objects all the time. specularity at 50, specular halo at rgb 248 248 248 give that a shot.

paulbrittgarcia ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2003 at 11:18 PM

file_84649.jpg

Thanks for the advice! RESULTS SO FAR: The one with the white design has the same texture (one I made (long ago) for stained glass window use) (REFRACT 150/REFLECT 0/SPEC 100/DIFFU 50) on both the design and the plate! (Do not know why the plate is clear ???) The one with the clear design uses the standard crystal material for the design and the previously mentioned self-made material for the plate! Britt

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2003 at 11:28 PM

I can see the design in the second one it's just very faint...

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

paulbrittgarcia ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2003 at 11:36 PM

If I use the standard crystal mat on the plate --- it comes out almost totally black because the mat reflects so badly! Britt

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2003 at 11:51 PM

Sams3D has an etched glass coffee table, buzz 'em and ask how they did it.

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Wed, 19 November 2003 at 2:55 AM

Enable "total internal relfection" in the render options and set it to 10. Set the maximum ray depth to 15. Do a quick render and see how that turns out. What are your scene settings? Is it just the default scene with the bryce sun? The glass should have transparency 100 and diffusion zero, the design should have transparency 100 and diffusion 75 (also a very bright specular halo)

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Wed, 19 November 2003 at 5:47 AM

Aye, Madmax might be right, but lack of ray-septh would produce null-reflections which are black, not white... Is the etching geometry-based, or material based? Are you using booleans to actually carve the diamond? If so, try Madmax's advice... If it's a texture, try using the source image as a lattice and carving into the glass, it might produce better results. Thus, you could use the negative to "paint" the etch material into the glass....? Ideas...

paulbrittgarcia ( ) posted Wed, 19 November 2003 at 10:01 AM

The etching is a symmetrical lattice (positive)with a black and white picture applied! Maybe I should try the etching as a negative! Britt

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Wed, 19 November 2003 at 7:33 PM

Aye, I agree, in my limited experience with etchings, it would be a negative. This might help add to realism? Just an idea!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.