Fri, Sep 20, 2:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: I could use a little help please....

Jack D. Kammerer ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 3:01 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:19 PM

Okay finally got a day to open Poser (first time since May!!!) anyway, what I have been doing is reorganizing my Poser folder (9 gigs of stuff!!) Anyway, this is my question... I would like to be able to create an .RSR file from a render (so as to see the outfit on the character, rather than a see-through map) but for some reason the knowledge to do this escapes me. Is there a way for me to take a .PCT or .JPG file and transfer into an .RSR file?? Thanks for the help folks!! Jack

Darth_Logice ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 3:17 PM

http://lcrepiliere.free.fr/ Jack, the P3do explorer will do just that. Copy a pic to the clipboard, double click on the rar and paste it, and it works. You may have to play around with image size to get it to fit right though. It's a little crashy also, so bring a bottle of patience. -Darth_Logice

Darth_Logice ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 3:19 PM

http://lcrepiliere.free.fr/ Jack, the P3do explorer will do just that. Copy a pic to the clipboard, double click on the rar and paste it, and it works. You may have to play around with image size to get it to fit right though. It's a little crashy also, so bring a bottle of patience. -Darth_Logice

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 3:23 PM

Another way is to just load up the one sided square prop and apply the picture as a texture. Arrange the scene such that the square fills the area. Save to library.... Voila! :) PhilC

Jack D. Kammerer ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 3:36 PM

Thanks guys!! I owe you both a beer!! Jack

cooler ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 3:39 PM

Another soultion is to export the render & reimport it as a background picture & rerender then it will show up in the window as a rsr

robert.sharkey ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 4:36 PM

Theres another programm called RSRconverter. You can convert from picture to RSR and the other way. Have found a mail-adress from the creator Phil Foss: pfoss@cgocable.net SHARKEY

brschmidt ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 5:42 PM

I just render the scene, go to Display and paste it on the background, move the camera to hide the figure and then simply save the figure. There is one video mode (can't remember which one) that the will distort the image.

STORM3 ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 5:45 PM

Jack glad to see you have the time to finally get back to Poser. It's probably been a rough couple of months what with the geometric expansion of the Renderosity membership and everything else. So happy posing. Anyway to the point of this post. You mentioned you are reorganising your Poser downloads and I have noticed a number of posts on the organisation issue. Here is what I do and maybe it might be of some help to you and others. The first thing when downloading is to impose a rigid structure otherwise your Hard Disk will quickly degenerate into bedlam. 1) I keep a main folder, separate from the Poser Program folder, called "Poser Downloads." 2) "Poser Downloads" is broken up into sub-folders. I have close to 30 such folders called e.g. (000) Animals, (000) Characters Fem, (000) Characters Male, (000) Clothing Fem_Objects, (000) Clothing Fem Trans_Textures, (000) Clothing Fem_Shoes, (000) Clothing Fem_Accesories etc. etc. Everything from floors to props to body textures to Morphs etc has a (000) folder. 3) The (000) folders can then be broken into sub folders. E.g. (000) Props has nearly 60 sub folders called (11) Weapons_Modern, (11)Weapons_Early, (11)Furniture_Bathroom, (11) Furniture_Bedroom, (11) Buildings, (11) Vehicals, etc etc. 4) When downloading I always down directly to the target folder and rename a file at the time of download generally using part of the original name. e.g. For a pose set file "(SnowSultan) Seductive Poses 01", the directory structure would be "D/Poser Downloads/(000) Poses/(11) Snow Sultan Poses -(or whatever)- /(SnowSultan) Seductive Poses 01 (or any filename)." I also save the thumbnail with the same name as the file downloaded INTO THE SAME FOLDER e.g. "(SnowSultan) Seductive Poses 01 prv" - using the "prv" (preview) addition to distinguish it from the file. If the file does not have a thumb image I make one in Poser (small render) and use it for my "prv" file. 5) I organise my Poser and Bryce and other tutorials in a similar fashion breaking them up into sub folders by subject e.g. D/Poser Tutorials/(000) Figure Creation, (000) Morphing, (000) Lighting etc. etc. I also convert the html files to pdf files and remove the active links for better offline usage. (Adobe Acrobat 4 has the option to remove all web links when converting a file to pdf) and I store the html originals in an Archive folder (I am paranoid that I might lose my links!) By using the above method I can very quickly find any file I am looking for. In addition, by using the Paint Shop Pro "Browse" facility or a program like ACDSee 3.0 I can very quickly browse the "prv" files in the folders and locate any file in a visual way. I have over 20 Gigs of downloads directly relevant to Poser, many of them, props and textures from all over the web, in many different formats and I generally find any file I am looking for in seconds. Used in conjunction with Win 3D Exploration it works perfectly for me. It also makes backing up my stuff on CD really easy. Maybe this will help others too. Regards STORM

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 7:28 PM

oooooooooooh! you're even more organized than i am! that's scary. :) i have a 3d/poser download area, and i broke it up into these categories: ...char: human {male, female); animal (bird, bug, fantasy, herp, mammal, marine, misc); props; and starwars (just so i can find darth vader and r2 d2, etc.) ...morphs: animal, human ...poses: ...props: clothes, creature, hair, weapons ...tx: animal, human, props ...zygote: figures, props. (i keep these separate, so i remember i can't redistribute 'em.) nope, i don't have as much stuff as storm does, so i have fewer categories. i got nothing fancy for browsing 'em, i save all zips onto my cd, and pop them open and read the readme when i need info on it. i try to save the files under names that make sense to me, but i hate long file names, so i avoid details. (is that scary or what!?) :)

STORM3 ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 7:56 PM

Heya Bloodsong Scary? Nooooooo. he he Tell you what's scary: Spending two frustrating days looking for a download you really need but can't get anymore, 'cause the site no longer exists, and you can't find it, 'cause you downloaded it way back when you were blissfully unaware that your downloads would grow to 20 Gigs+, and you used to know where it was but have forgotten, and anyway your Hard Drive has been reorganised so many times it would not matter even if you remembered, and your backups then were chaotic and what did you used to name things then anyway? and.. and.. and..... That taught me a lesson some months ago and I decided that if you want lots you got to become a 3D filing clerk first. I still have a very large folder from that era "(000) Unsorted Downloads" that I am gradually tackling. I have discovered that I often have multiple copies of things taking up lots of space. One other thing about naming and sorting downloads rigorously is that most of the time you know whom to credit even when no readme file is included. STORM

bonestructure ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 8:45 PM

Yup, I'm still lookin for that beard I lost. Don't know why I didn't have it backed up with the rest

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

menonymous ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 9:17 PM

Amazing. How do you handle stuff like: a zip file which contains: character file, poses, morphs and textures (trans, bump, etc) . Is this split into seperte parts, or do u keep all of them together in a "complete packages" folder?

STORM3 ( ) posted Fri, 25 August 2000 at 7:37 AM

Menonymous The primary file is that of the character so the zip goes in under (000)Characters_Fem or whatever. That way all the morphs etc for that character are together. There is obviously some crossover and the system is not perfect. For a file like a Tim Laubach texture or a set of morphs by Traveller they obviously go into (000) Textures_Fem/(11)TLaubach Textures and (000)Morphs/(11)Trav/Fem_Body. Most downloads generally have a logical destination. However, sometimes you have to make a decision based on the importance of the stuff to you. E.g. If a character file has a hair type or texture I might want to use with other figures I might duplicate the texture and hair files in the Textures and hair (000) folders. More often I would do that in the various libraries in Poser itself by for instance saving the hair from a character separately into the Poser Hair Library. In addition I don't unzip files until I actually need them as win zip will open files without unzipping and you can use PSP or ACDSee 3.0 to look at texture maps in the file's unzipped state and wordpad for the readme files. # My preview (prv) thumbs for each file solve most of the problems. The 20Gigs of Downloads I have are files mainly in zipped form so God only knows what they would amount to if all were unzipped. Finally I also have one copy of a completely unzipped (000) Folder (000)Morphs. The reason is simple; I am using the Head Figures in the Poser Additional Figures Library to load all the various head morphs into. I have a separate P4 Fem head for Mouth, Eye, Nose etc morphs. This helps greatly when creating characters as once the right shape is achieved - from e.g. the Head figure containing all the mouth morphs - it can be saved as a morph and loaded into the actual character figure I am developing. I also do this for the various body parts as well and it has the advantage of much lower memory requirements. Sorry for rambling on but it took me a long time to develop a system for handling all the Poser related stuff that more or less works. Maybe this can help others as well. STORM

bloodsong ( ) posted Fri, 25 August 2000 at 9:55 AM

heyas; no joke, people.... organize now, while there is still hope!!! :)

dlfurman ( ) posted Fri, 25 August 2000 at 11:47 PM

I'll give you my method for orgsnization: This is the generic format: type_of_item_THE_ITEM.zip These are the headers I use: CHAR_ COMIC_ EVE_ JCM_ KEOTO_ KOZABURO_ LIGHTS_ MAGNETS_ MORPHS_ POSE_ PROP_ TEXTURE_ UTIL_ VICKY_ (Yes Keoto, you get a header all your own as does Kozaburo) Search on type_of_item and scroll until you find what you need. To search for duplicate files, in Windows Explorer click on the SIZE tab and scroll through looking for matching filezizes and similar filenames.

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

dewo ( ) posted Mon, 28 August 2000 at 3:43 PM

brschmidt, my friend, I hope you can remember, which video mode distorts the image, when trying to create a new rsr using the method that you describe (such a neet & simple one). So far, I've done just that, but then I had to reload the whole caboodle (major systems crash), and now I can't get the damn' thing to work anymore. Or does anybody else know how to set-up the system correctly? As far as sorting goes, here's my method: I number the downloaded .zip files by category & enter the names into an Excel-spreadsheet together with the names of the zipped files, the thumbnails (delivered or self-created) and the location on the Iomega-zip-disk (that's where I archive them, old-fashioned, I know, but it works). That way I can sort the by category, put the respective cartrige in & retrieve them.

dewo ( ) posted Mon, 28 August 2000 at 3:46 PM

brschmidt, my friend, I hope you can remember, which video mode distorts the image, when trying to create a new rsr using the method that you describe (such a neet & simple one). So far, I've done just that, but then I had to reload the whole caboodle (major systems crash), and now I can't get the damn' thing to work anymore. Or does anybody else know how to set-up the system correctly? As far as sorting goes, here's my method: I number the downloaded .zip files by category & enter the names into an Excel-spreadsheet together with the names of the zipped files, the thumbnails (delivered or self-created) and the location on the Iomega-zip-disk (that's where I archive them, old-fashioned, I know, but it works). That way I can sort the by category, put the respective cartrige in & retrieve them.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.