Sun, Sep 22, 2:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: "Toon" lighting for Poser 4?

tedbragg ( ) posted Fri, 02 January 2004 at 2:05 PM ยท edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 3:47 PM

I've done global lighting, environmental lighting, but I'm stumped on 'toon lighting' I like to use flat color textures (ala Sara's toon textures) but I can't seem to figure out how to light figures so they appear less...um, I dunno how to describe this really... Less dimensional. I've tried using bright lights (and lots of them!) to eliminate shadows, to make the image look flatter..with not so good results. I've even done the z-toon method of flattening out the figures...no good. ANybody else figured out how to do this?

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Fri, 02 January 2004 at 2:28 PM

ISTR that Maya's anime doll comes with toon lights. I haven't seen 'em, but they might be similar to z-toon lights, since it's basically the same problem - full frontal lighting with no shadows. This is why a cel shader is probably best done as a post-render effect - the image you see prior to render is usually going to disappoint.

tedbragg ( ) posted Fri, 02 January 2004 at 4:35 PM

Nope, no toon lights. Can't find any for P4 (plenty for P5, tho...grrr!) Oh well, guess I'll just have to tweak, fiddle and burn up hours figuring it out. :-)

Riddokun ( ) posted Fri, 02 January 2004 at 6:20 PM

no you can have good anime render without much postwork... if you want to use cartoon w/ line mode, you need some kind of lights, if you want more gouraud shaded but a bit flat, you need different ones.. i too am a lamer newbie regarding lightsd but i learn fast and i know at least what is no good or what cannot bering me the result i want. only need to find what will work now :)

jkm ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2004 at 11:05 AM

Attached Link: http://www.comicbookpage.com/Art/Tutorials/CelShading/CelShadingInPoser5.html

If you have Poser 5, you might wnat to check out the tutorial I've got on my site on cel shading. Unfortunately the technique won't work in Poser 4 so it might not be of much use to you.

Riddokun ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2004 at 1:12 PM

well, poser 5 and its shaders/matrerial room offers many opportunities and features regardiong cellshading/anime style renders... poser 4 is quite another challenge, i can swear ! that's why i work on methods on it because i only have p4. BTW transmapped items still escape my wrath so far (at least when an item got a differnet shape, such as areas cut and such, because of a transmap) if someone come with poser 4 tips and technics please tell me, it would help

jkm ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2004 at 10:06 AM

Wish I could help with Poser 4 but I never got anything close to a toon look out of it. Sorry.

Riddokun ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2004 at 10:54 AM

well then try to get a look at my gallery and tell me if you see anything that have a toon look that is close to what you wanted/have in mind, so i would know if i am heading in the good way or not...

Riddokun ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2004 at 10:57 AM

oups.. don't forget to come and share your tricks over darksliis' website (celshading artist.. don't remember the url), we sure all need it...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.