Wed, Oct 23, 8:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 11:30 am)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Who else thinks this is annoying...

SmileyMax ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 6:39 PM · edited Wed, 23 October 2024 at 8:31 AM

One thing about bryce that really pisses me off is the imported object presets..... In the first place most of them are worthless, but what really twerks me is that almost all of them are all skeewompus. I mean why the hell would the but all of them at strange rotations like 20%, i mean it just makes them a real pain to use... especially when you trie to shrink them, they get skewed cause they were orignially rotated.... Anyone get annoyed by this, or am i just being anal.... Devin Taylor Thinking Allowed Graphics

Quest ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 7:05 PM

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you're saying. What is skeewompus? I do know that most 3D programs have their own coordinate systems and many don't line up with other 3D packages. The modeler/artist usually doesn't know how their model is eventually going to be used or into what package they will be imported into. When I create and export my models from 3D Studio Max, they are not rotated on any axis but when I import them into Bryce, they are rotated around the "y" axis. No big deal there, I just rotate them into the position I want. Whereas if I import the same model into Poser, there's no problem with rotation but there is one in scale. You may be right about the presets but they are important to beginning users who don't have a clue on how to create their own. For the more advanced user, there would be little problem in recreating new ones. So to me, presets are a definite plus whether I like them or not. They may not be helpful to me but that doesnt mean theyre not helpful to others. Hope I didnt go off on left field somewhere in regard to your question. So forgive me if I misunderstood your question.

dan whiteside ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 7:09 PM

If you hit the down arrow next to each of the gadgets, there's an item that lets you unscale, unrotate, etc. which puts the object back to it's default postion. This won't help if the object was rotated outside of Bryce. HTH; Dan

SmileyMax ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 7:12 PM

Well I'm refering to the actual preset objects that came with Bryce, any other import is a different story. However, when I program comes with a set of presets they should at least be usable and not all screwed up....

Quest ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 7:40 PM

Oh, wait a minute! Have you defined your work area in Bryce and saved it to "default.br5"? If you haven't, you can rotate your work space so that when you bring in an object its x,y,z coordinates lines up with your field of view x,y,z coordinate everytime you start Bryce. You then save this setup as your "default" setup saved in Bryce's root directory. Is this what you mean?

SmileyMax ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 7:44 PM

Hmmmm, no the x,y,z, cordinates are lines up correctly. It's just that the stupid people who made bryce decided to mess up all the rotations on their premade object before the turned them into to objects. So when there coordinates are all 0 they are still crooked, so to straited them you have to set your rotates to like 27, 15, 69. (example). It's just really annoying thats all, basically its the imported objects could be really handy, but them messed em all up so there a pain.

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 8:21 PM

Aye, you're right about it being silly. But, at the same time, using the presets is a no-no 'round these parts. With Wings 3D free and all kinds of other modelers, using the Bryce presets is kinda silly, and outright lazy, except as a learning tool... If you think that's an arrogant statement, you're right. But clip-art isn't necessarily "art"...

amethyss ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 9:24 PM

SmileyMax sure isn't smiling LOL.I wish I could be as "stupid" as the creators of Bryce.Fantastic program.Never had a problem worrying about a preset.

Painting: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic_____website

Aldaron ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 10:54 PM

Yes for an example go into the create pallette and select the rounded cube from imported objects. It's rotated about 20 degrees, to do any sort of scaling with it you must keep it in world space and rotate it -21 degrees, otherwise it get distorted in all sorts of ways.

corys311 ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 10:54 PM

I know exactly where he's coming from... Open up the "Rounded Cube" and when it pops up in wireframe, it's definitely rotated, but in Attributes, there are 0s across the board in rotate... That IS annoying. Make your own rounded cubes and cylinders if you need em... Not all of them are like this though... But how often do you guys use a "Cube with Bulges" anyway... What the hell is that one??? Cory

Syncopate ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 10:54 PM

This may not be quite on the topic...not sure about the original question, yet... however, I did hear from a professional graphics artist, who does graphics for games... he said that Bryce is a left-handed program, while other 3D programs are right-handed. Thinking this may be at least part of the problem? If not, then please ignore me ;o)

SmileyMax ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 11:28 PM

I'm not sure what that guy was referring to as being a big no-no what referring to exactly. I dont want to be too defensive, but I compare using a rounded cube in bryce to using any particular shape of brush in real painting. It's just a tool sure isn't clipart. I think he must understood me in the first place though. But it does seem that this does irritate people other than me, plus I'm a newbyy and I'm really picky about software so I'm still finding little flaws that really piss me off. But its all good i love the program anyways.

haloedrain ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 1:12 AM

file_92919.jpg

You could try making your own presets, using bryce or a modeling app like wings. I think a lot of us here find that most of the presets (be they objects, materials, or whatever) are useless without a lot of tweaking. I tend to make most of the things I use from scratch--I'm a bit obsessive about controlling every little detail--so I never even noticed that some objects are automatically rotated. It does seem a bit odd that they are, but it's easy enough to get around--just make your own presets, and use those from now on. It's a bit irritating, I sure, that you should have to, but such is life. Maybe they'll fix it in the next version ;)

Gog ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 3:58 AM

Got to admit I rarely use the bryce presets, I used to use some of the terrain TIFs that shipped with 2 but not many of the presets. (Must admit I'm considering using one in my entry for the Jan challenge though.... I'm not gonna say which one :-) )

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 6:18 AM
Forum Moderator Online Now!

I don't think I've ever done a Bryce pic where I DIDN't start with a preset primitive. I don't see anything wrong with them at all. In fact I d/l a load of 'new' prims a couple of weeks ago and they're just great and solve a lot of problems when creating the strange buildings I've been doing recently. As for them being 20degs out of scew....so what? It just takes a second to rotate them to where you want.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 10:43 AM

Aside from having to rotate .3ds models -90 degrees using the 'A' setting (1st box on the left), I haven't worried about it. Considering I make most of my own models, I'd just have to get mad at myself..;) the only problem is wanting to take some of the Wings commands with me into Bryce..:| (could you imagine tumbling objects in Bryce, without the numbers?..;)
Heck, if it doesn't line up right, I just rotate the World until it lines up right..then go to town
So Bryce is for lefties, huh? Must be why I like it, I'm a leftie (a lot of artistic types are..;). Just don't tell the folks in the OT forum..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 11:09 AM

Aye, I meant no offense, SmileyMax! But I am not "that guy". I am the God Emperor of Shadow Dragons. Not my idea, I didn't vote for myself... (grins) I am a semi-purist, when it comes to Bryce. I don't use any presets, ever. I use primitives for modeling, when necessary. But I do not use preset objects, preset materials, skies, or anything like that. Ever. There is no challenge in not making things from scratch, and Bryce makes it really easy. That said, I sometimes use Other People's Objects, but I've been steadily moving away from that since Rhino hit my art machine. I don't judge other people by their uses of such "tools", merely I will not crank out picture after picture of re-arranged presets. I just feel that I'm past that, and need to challenge myself more. Taking the easy way out, for me, is a "no-no". To each his own, though! Sorry for divergence...

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 5:58 PM
Forum Moderator Online Now!

Shadow: So you're an Emperor now? Pakled: Lefties....I'm with you, bud. I'm a leftie and proud of it......so why do I mouse with my right? LOL

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.